Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I don't know what to think

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Hear me out

1) We make a ton of mistakes. OL is not what we thought. WRs are too inconsistent. Fitz makes awful throws and cant read a defense. On almost every play we have a mistake by a different player.

2) We have a better staff and the players rave about them. They have NFL experience. They have head coaching experience. They have big time recruiting experience. By 100% of the accounts I've heard we do a lot of things better than before.

I can't blame Joe Mo entirely for this. Totally different staff, totally different philosophy and it's clear that we have had to adjust our offense because of OL weakness and WR's not capable of doing things.

Here's the question. How much of this is on Joe? Point to something he has done where you say that is 100% on him. We fixed the penalties. Only 2 tonight. We played our ass off on defense. We had our chances on offense.

My conclusion: We are the product of having to undo 9 years of what Mullen did while replacing him with a more cerebral offensive mind. Because of that, we don't have the players necessary to execute what he wants. Fordham is a private research based institution. Penn State has very strict requirements and very high admissions standards. They've got smart kids where Moorhead came from. I think we don't have the smarts on offense to execute his level of offense. I also don't think we have the talent on the OL. I don't think Joe was a bad hire. Everything and everyone pointed to this being great. And he is an offensive genius. That didn't just leave him. Something isn't right and I think we've hit a perfect storm of our coach not having what he needs to execute this offense. I bet we would win more games with Dan this year. But I think it's going to take Joe Mo time to get the right guys in here to have better long term success.

I think we all underestimated the adjustment that would happen with the change.
    1- The OL is what we thought. The plays and scheme changed. A HC's job is to put the team (which is made up of players) in the best position to win! Did he do that? It's his job to hire he staff to train those players to be able to carry out those plays.

2- We do not have a better staff. The proof is right in front of you. When they start winning, then you can say that.

To your questions:

It's 100% on Jomo. He is the head coach. He calls the plays. The penalties that cost us the last game was HIS fault. Our DL and blitz schemes are typical and not effective. Compare UF's hands on our QB vs our's to their QB.

--------
    What exactly is the horrible issue of what the past 9 years has given MSU? Bowl games every year? AND AGAIN... if we don't have the "smarts" it's on our HC to either dumb it down, change the playbook, or teach them better.

He will never get the people he needs here if he is NOT winning.

vCash
    Hear me out

1) We make a ton of mistakes. OL is not what we thought. WRs are too inconsistent. Fitz makes awful throws and cant read a defense. On almost every play we have a mistake by a different player.

2) We have a better staff and the players rave about them. They have NFL experience. They have head coaching experience. They have big time recruiting experience. By 100% of the accounts I've heard we do a lot of things better than before.

I can't blame Joe Mo entirely for this. Totally different staff, totally different philosophy and it's clear that we have had to adjust our offense because of OL weakness and WR's not capable of doing things.

Here's the question. How much of this is on Joe? Point to something he has done where you say that is 100% on him. We fixed the penalties. Only 2 tonight. We played our ass off on defense. We had our chances on offense.

My conclusion: We are the product of having to undo 9 years of what Mullen did while replacing him with a more cerebral offensive mind. Because of that, we don't have the players necessary to execute what he wants. Fordham is a private research based institution. Penn State has very strict requirements and very high admissions standards. They've got smart kids where Moorhead came from. I think we don't have the smarts on offense to execute his level of offense. I also don't think we have the talent on the OL. I don't think Joe was a bad hire. Everything and everyone pointed to this being great. And he is an offensive genius. That didn't just leave him. Something isn't right and I think we've hit a perfect storm of our coach not having what he needs to execute this offense. I bet we would win more games with Dan this year. But I think it's going to take Joe Mo time to get the right guys in here to have better long term success.

1) For roughly 50% of the games last year this is the same OL. They were WAY better than this last year, WAY better. Fitz is being asked to be something he isn't. We all know, and have known, what he is and what he isn't. Up till this year we played to what he did well. Now we play to what he doesn't do well. With the RPO you take what's given. For it to work you have to be able to do that. Fitz has never been able to do one phase of that on a consistent basis.
    2) Saying we have a better staff doesn't mean we do. The evidence says otherwise. From my experience around the game for a long, long time in a different level, when the players REALLY like their coaches.....you are headed for trouble more often than not. We are NOT better than last year.

I don't think the OL is weak. They weren't last year. They look like they are lost and don't know what to do. That wasn't a problem last year.

One of the PRIME characteristics of a good coach in high school and college, where the entire team turns over every 3-5 years, is being able to adapt your scheme to what you have to work with. This staff shows no signs they are even remotely capable of that. That doesn't make them "cerebral" in my book. It makes them just the opposite.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 09-29-2018 at 11:42 PM.

vCash
    Hear me out

You called JoMo a cerebral offensive mind. That's the problem with this post. There is nothing cerebral about what he is doing right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    You called JoMo a cerebral offensive mind. That's the problem with this post. There is nothing cerebral about what he is doing right now.
    So what changed between now and 5 weeks ago before the start of the season? What changed between now and when he was hired? Because everyone knew he was smart and that he could coach the hell out of offense. Did he just get dumb since he was hired?

vCash
    So what changed between now and 5 weeks ago before the start of the season? What changed between now and when he was hired? Because everyone knew he was smart and that he could coach the hell out of offense. Did he just get dumb since he was hired?
    We see we were wrong?

vCash
    No, we were wrong. I was wrong, for sure. I liked everything about him.

These last two games have been horrific and they are not correctable. It's a philosophical issue at this point. He doesn't know how to put this roster in position to be successful, and he's not going to be able to recruit in a way to get the players he needs for what he wants to do, because he's crapping the bed.

vCash
    Perhaps they were wrong? His scheme does not fit what we have, at all. There were plenty of people I talk to worried about it when we hired him. If he was really smart he would have recognized that and adapted accordingly. We all thought with his smarts he would, at least till he could get his guys in. So far he hasn't. He was THE guy I wanted. To say I'm disappointed is a "mild" understatement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    No, we were wrong. I was wrong, for sure. I liked everything about him.

These last two games have been horrific and they are not correctable. It's a philosophical issue at this point. He doesn't know how to put this roster in position to be successful, and he's not going to be able to recruit in a way to get the players he needs for what he wants to do, because he's crapping the bed.
    I'd sell the recruits in early playing time.

vCash
    I think for coaches certain offenses are more natural to call based on their personality and I would imagine it's hard to adjust that to a degree. Like Paul Johnson wouldn't be comfortable in the Air Raid and Mike Leach wouldn't be comfortable in the flexbone triple option.

I think Joe likes to throw the ball. But if he's smart he'll shift his recruiting focus on getting some JUCO's and transfers that fit what he wants to do for the short term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think for coaches certain offenses are more natural to call based on their personality and I would imagine it's hard to adjust that to a degree. Like Paul Johnson wouldn't be comfortable in the Air Raid and Mike Leach wouldn't be comfortable in the flexbone triple option.

I think Joe likes to throw the ball. But if he's smart he'll shift his recruiting focus on getting some JUCO's and transfers that fit what he wants to do for the short term.
    Most guys are at JUCOs for one of two reasons: they didn't qualify or they weren't good enough to go D1. You obviously don't want the latter, and I'm not sure the former can handle this scheme. There always sleepers of course, we have had our share of them. But as a rule what I said is true.

vCash
    16 penalties to 2. I would say that's a decent adjustment.
    One game doesn't make a trend... 2 seems more like a abnormality

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    So where's he going to get all these cerebral, yet super athletic, players to run his system? Cause he sure isn't getting them in the 2019 class. And how long do you plan on giving him to get those guys in? Football doesn't have to be 17ing Calculus, especially in college. The more simplified you make it the faster your players will play.
    This