Thread: Fresh Water Lake/Pond Tilapia....

vCash

Fresh Water Lake/Pond Tilapia....

outside of electricity, seining, explosives, or draining, any of you cats ever caught em? if so, how?

I've tried "bread balls" and crickets...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

Banned
    vCash
    The only thing thing I can say about tilapia is that those who buy them farm raised in Asia & China aren't very smart.

vCash
    Dude I have no idea

vCash
    A Ruger 10/22 and hollow point did the trick... It weighed 2 lbs, 14" long...

Tried to attach a pic, but couldn't for some reason.

No.

Banned
    vCash
    I'm trying to figure out this tilapia deal. They are not a native species.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out this tilapia deal. They are not a native species.
    Nope... they are SE Asian...

Bass lake Managers use them to help feed the bass... they have a low mortality rate bc they are "mouth brooders"... they eat algae and stuff kinda like a carp, too.

The one I shot was eating fishfood at the surface... They look like a cross between a carp/crappie/bream...

They do not tolerate cold water at all, so a lot of them die in the winter from the cold or bass looking for a sluggish, easy to catch meal.

they look creepy to me...

No.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Nope... they are SE Asian...

Bass lake Managers use them to help feed the bass... they have a low mortality rate bc they are "mouth brooders"... they eat algae and stuff kinda like a carp, too.

The one I shot was eating fishfood at the surface... They look like a cross between a carp/crappie/bream...

They do not tolerate cold water at all, so a lot of them die in the winter from the cold or bass looking for a sluggish, easy to catch meal.

they look creepy to me...
    thanks for the explanation Tusk. so, why shoot them? also, doesn't introducing non native species usually have a negative impact in the long run?

vCash
    thanks for the explanation Tusk. so, why shoot them? also, doesn't introducing non native species usually have a negative impact in the long run?
    I shot that bastard because I couldn't catch him legit (and we wanted to study one up close)...

If not for (comparably) cold winters, Tilapia would be a terrible idea... they are prodigious breeders and will take over.... they are a huge nuisance in warmer climates...

I caught one today that was about 2 pounds... we were fishing with crappie poles and whole kernel corn.... we also caught 6-8 fillet sized bream....

No.

Banned
    vCash
    I shot that bastard because I couldn't catch him legit (and we wanted to study one up close)...

If not for (comparably) cold winters, Tilapia would be a terrible idea... they are prodigious breeders and will take over.... they are a huge nuisance in warmer climates...

I caught one today that was about 2 pounds... we were fishing with crappie poles and whole kernel corn.... we also caught 6-8 fillet sized bream....
    So If I'm understanding Tusk, you shot a Tilapia with a .22 ? May I ask if alcohol was involved in this incident? LMAO

vCash
    So If I'm understanding Tusk, you shot a Tilapia with a .22 ? May I ask if alcohol was involved in this incident? LMAO
    Yes.

It was a sweet shot, too.

No.

Banned
    vCash
    Yes.

It was a sweet shot, too.
    Did you eat him? How were the bream?

I remember my one and only fishing experience on the White River in AR and we used corn to catch rainbow trout. No cork, fished on the bottom. Them sumbitches fought like Tazmanian Devils. I wish I knew how big the one was that broke my line after being on no more than 3 seconds. We went with a tour guide and it was a catch and release deal. Prettiest damn river I've ever been on.

Later in life I found out how good properly cooked trout can be. There was a restaurant in Memphis that blackened it up real good with stuffed crab meat inside of the fish.

vCash
    Did you eat him? How were the bream?

I remember my one and only fishing experience on the White River in AR and we used corn to catch rainbow trout. No cork, fished on the bottom. Them sumbitches fought like Tazmanian Devils. I wish I knew how big the one was that broke my line after being on no more than 3 seconds. We went with a tour guide and it was a catch and release deal. Prettiest damn river I've ever been on.

Later in life I found out how good properly cooked trout can be. There was a restaurant in Memphis that blackened it up real good with stuffed crab meat inside of the fish.
    I've fished up there too,,,, it was fun,

I gave the fish to my neighbor... He said they were really good...

No.