Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And yet another story on Bama's advantages to getting in Natty title game every year

vCash

And yet another story on Bama's advantages to getting in Natty title game every year

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...playoff-hopes/

And we're going to Kansas St. this year. They ain't a year-in, year-out powerhouse, but they about like Louisville. Some years KSU pretty good.

Saban ... he skeered to play an away non-conference game. Might lose 2 games in a year.

vCash
    Do we lose revenue when we go to neutral sites?

vCash
    Saban isn't scared. He's simply working in the best interest of his team within a system that allows the same teams to win every year regardless of how well other teams are coached and run their organization.

I don't have an issue with dynasties so long as the teams winning them don't have every structural advantage possible. When other schools and teams operate at an extremely high level, the rules and structure of the sport should offer those teams a chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I have no idea. Just ran across these 2 articles this morning. Not paying much attention since I've already come to conclusions on most of it. It is what it is.

Ironically, in Rolling with the Tide - Training Days, ole Nick when trying to motivate his players used the quote "What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying". Seems like there is a dichotomy going on here.

I remember when he started crying about how his players might get hurt with the spread of more up-tempo offenses. His LBs were too slow and he couldn't substitute like he wanted to. Funny, the offense ain't substituting either, and he always has the more highly rated players. Yet, per himself, Nick is always expressing things "in the best interest of the sport of CFB" LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    We lose recruiting visits (in most cases) and money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post

And we're going to Kansas St. this year. They ain't a year-in, year-out powerhouse, but they about like Louisville. Some years KSU pretty good.

Saban ... he skeered to play an away non-conference game. Might lose 2 games in a year.
    Well, Bama hasn't had the hardest schedules because of UT being its permanent opponent, but it's not like SEC teams are playing easier schedules than other conferences teams. We rarely have gimmes in conference compared to other conferences.

vCash

This is silly, buddy... Have you seen the opening OOC game for Bammer the last 10 years... ?

We could just as easily play a "South Alabama" at home as play a big time program at a neutral site...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    This is silly, buddy... Have you seen the opening OOC game for Bammer the last 10 years... ?

We could just as easily play a "South Alabama" at home as play a big time program at a neutral site...
    but then you'd have 8 home games. Most everyone plays non-conference road games. You don't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    but then you'd have 8 home games. Most everyone plays non-conference road games. You don't.
    Alabama did until Saban arrived and have some scheduled in the future, but I believe it was a good marketing tool (at the time) to schedule higher profile opponent early in the season... Just because other schools choose to play OOC games on the road doesn't mean everyone should, does it?

I'm a proponent of scheduling OOC however you want, but with the understanding that SOS could suffer if you go too "soft"...

No.

Banned
    vCash
    Saban played neutral site games for financial gain and a recruiting advantage. It really helped, especially the first few years Saban was here.

However, BAMA and Saban has begun to schedule home and home series. The main reason? It benefits the fans and attendance. We've scheduled several lately and are looking to schedule more because it will benefit the program to do so. Fans attendance to games is something every school is going to be battling in the coming years.

Also, Saban has publically commented that it is very difficult to schedule OOC games for Alabama because teams don't want to risk playing BAMA in the regular season.

Banned
    vCash
    Cause BAMA can pay other D-1 schools around a million to come to Tuscaloosa and they don't have to return the game as you normally would on a home & home basis. We pay around 300K for most teams to come to Vegas', but we have to return a game to their site. And in cases of teams like USM, Troy, LaTech....we have to do a 2 to 1 deal....ex.....Troy plays twice in Vegas and we go to Troy once. Can you see BAMA going to Troy?....that would be hilarious and would NEVER happen. BTW, I have heard there has been some significant pressure applied for Miss.State to make an appearance vs Jackson State in Memorial Stadium, Jackson, MS. Some legislators are involved which ends up never being good. I would go to a game there if they would let me take in my AR15 with a couple 30 rd clips.
    Last edited by Pit Bull; 08-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bull View Post
    Cause BAMA can pay other D-1 schools around a million to come to Tuscaloosa and they don't have to return the game as you normally would on a home & home basis. We pay around 300K for most teams to come to Vegas', but we have to return a game to their site. And in cases of teams like USM, Troy, LaTech....we have to do a 2 to 1 deal....ex.....Troy plays twice in Vegas and we go to Troy once. Can you see BAMA going to Troy?....that would be hilarious and would NEVER happen. BTW, I have heard there has been some significant pressure applied for Miss.State to make an appearance vs Jackson State in Memorial Stadium, Jackson, MS. Some legislators are involved which ends up never being good. I would go to a game there if they would let me take in my AR15 with a couple 30 rd clips.
    No chance MSU should do that when OM isn't even playing instate schools & Arkansas doesn't play instate schools either.

Banned
    vCash
    No chance MSU should do that when OM isn't even playing instate schools & Arkansas doesn't play instate schools either.
    Agree, and I am glad we play instate schools. I would rather have played Alcorn, JSU, or MVSU for the first game instead of SFA. At least that way, the money stays in state and helps Mississippi schools.

vCash
    Agree, and I am glad we play instate schools. I would rather have played Alcorn, JSU, or MVSU for the first game instead of SFA. At least that way, the money stays in state and helps Mississippi schools.
    Completely agree.

If the legislature stuffs that down MSU's throats, then we should pull out of all future matchups.

I'm all for playing in-state schools in Starkville, but we should never degrade our program to go on the road to a 1-AA school. That would be certifiably absurd

vCash

I wonder if that writer really believes that New Orleans and Orlando are "neutral sites" for LSU and Florida State?

I also think that college football is playing too many so-called neutral site games. They should be on campus. The next thing you know we'll be playing home games in Jackson again.

vCash
    Agree, but they always should be in Davis Wade.

vCash
    I'm kinda surprised that Bama even has to travel to other conference schools. **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I wonder if that writer really believes that New Orleans and Orlando are "neutral sites" for LSU and Florida State?

I also think that college football is playing too many so-called neutral site games. They should be on campus. The next thing you know we'll be playing home games in Jackson again.
    I don't know. I like the neutral site games, especially since they get some big time, inter conference matchups early in the season that we otherwise might not get. My only problem with them is that with so many bowl games, it's hard for a lot of people to justify going to them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I don't know. I like the neutral site games, especially since they get some big time, inter conference matchups early in the season that we otherwise might not get. My only problem with them is that with so many bowl games, it's hard for a lot of people to justify going to them.
    A friend of mine is a Bama fan, and he and his wife are going to the game in Orlando. They're flying to Orlando via Chicago (there are no non-stop flights to Orlando out of Huntsville just yet ... coming in a month or two). Game tickets were $185 each. Don't know what flights cost, but along with hotel, he's probably spending at least $2K on the trip. If it was in Tuscaloosa, he could conceivably drive down and back on the same day. They are retired; the average Joe with a family most likely couldn't afford the trip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that Bama even has to travel to other conference schools. **
    I think you should drop the *****....

Tell ya what, we'll bump the check up another $1.5M if y'all will play here every year... I'll even spring for the Uber to get you cats over....

No.