Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves

vCash

Braves

Fun while it lasted, but I gotta feeling we bout to be blasted back to medicority the next few days.

vCash
    I called it back at the All-Star break. It would've been nearly impossible to stay as hot as we started out.

Also, can we get rid of Dansby yet? I don't see the appeal with him. Average fielder (even though he's gotten better this year) and a below average hitter who can't lay off an 0-2 slider to save his life. Slide Camargo over to SS and call Riley up. Trade Dansby for pitching help and it's a win.

I'm also ready to cut ties with Ender, but the thought of Acuna as our everyday CF scares me. I know's he's still young, but he makes some of the worst reads on balls.

Frustrating loss for sure.
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 08-07-2018 at 02:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I called it back at the All-Star break. It would've been nearly impossible to stay as hot as we started out.

Also, can we get rid of Dansby yet? I don't see the appeal with him. Average fielder (even though he's gotten better this year) and a below average hitter who can't lay off an 0-2 slider to save his life. Slide Camargo over to SS and call Riley up. Trade Dansby for pitching help and it's a win.

I'm also ready to cut ties with Ender, but the thought of Acuna as our everyday CF scares me. I know's he's still young, but he makes some of the worst reads on balls.

Frustrating loss for sure.
    Camargo can't play SS, and you're underestimating Dansby. As a SS, he's basically average offensively and well above average defensively. He's an answer at SS. Sure, it'd be great if he hit better, but he's at worst basically an average SS as is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Camargo can't play SS, and you're underestimating Dansby. As a SS, he's basically average offensively and well above average defensively. He's an answer at SS. Sure, it'd be great if he hit better, but he's at worst basically an average SS as is.
    I love his defense. His bat has to come alive though. Since break, he's .195/.250/.293 (doesn't include today's 0-3, 2 k). I'm totally against replacing him this early in his career; but among others, he's killing us right now.

vCash
    April: 5 games over .500
    May: 5 games over .500
    June: 3 games over .500
    July: 3 games under .500
    August: 2 games over .500

There are ups and downs in the season but that's pretty consistent month to month. And I would have never guessed they'd still be 10+ games over .500 a week into August. Half the starting lineup is under 25 years old so they will probably hit a wall. Maybe they won't. Nevertheless, good job bridging the gap to football season this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I love his defense. His bat has to come alive though. Since break, he's .195/.250/.293 (doesn't include today's 0-3, 2 k). I'm totally against replacing him this early in his career; but among others, he's killing us right now.
    Yeah, but he's also had stretches this year where he's hit well. Overall, he's been around average, maybe slightly below, as a SS with the bat.

He needs to bring his K rate down a bit and bring his BB rate up a bit. That's it. If he does those 2 things (2-3 percentage points each), changing nothing else, he's suddenly an above-average SS offensively. Not by a whole lot, but that whole package, with his defense, would be worth something like 3.5 WAR, which is more than fine.

vCash
    Dansby has a 1.3 defensive WAR. His offensive WAR is 1.0. So if you don't like his offensive, his defensive in terms of WAR isn't exactly lighting it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Dansby has a 1.3 defensive WAR. His offensive WAR is 1.0. So if you don't like his offensive, his defensive in terms of WAR isn't exactly lighting it up.
    You're using baseball reference, and I was surprised he's got positive value as a hitter there. Fangraphs likes his defense (8.4), and hates his offense (-7.8) = 1.3 WAR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    It's a different scale, you simply can't accumulate as much WAR defensively as you can offensively. The top of the scale offensively is 10-12 oWAR, while the top of the scale defensively is 4-5 dWAR.

vCash
    You're using baseball reference, and I was surprised he's got positive value as a hitter there. Fangraphs likes his defense (8.4), and hates his offense (-7.8) = 1.3 WAR
    Baseball reference had his total WAR at 1.7. Honestly I was shocked at that but I couldn't believe he had a positive offensive WAR.

vCash
    Another very good start by Newcomb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Another very good start by Newcomb
    After a rough patch, newcomb has recovered nicely in his last 3 starts (Miami, LAD, and nats)...
    20.2 ip 10 h 3 er 7 bb 19 k
    Era = 1.34
    Whip = 0.84
    Season era = 3.15

Newcomb killing it

vCash
    Here's an idea. Make Charlie freaking Culberson the starting SS until Dansby figures it out.

I'm half kidding, but CC is tearing it up lately.

vCash
    Here's an idea. Make Charlie freaking Culberson the starting SS until Dansby figures it out.

I'm half kidding, but CC is tearing it up lately.
    No problem with culberson starting at SS a few games. Dansby might would benefit from a break. I don't want Camargo at SS though

vCash
    Bats heatling up. Hopefully this continues. Carmargo at short by the way.

vCash
    Culberson with a terrible error at third. Yeesh

vCash
    Culberson with a terrible error at third. Yeesh
    And then makes a pretty good play right after

vCash
    And then makes a pretty good play right after
    Yep, those canceled out.

vCash
    Braves just keep surprising me. I really didn't see us getting a split at worst. Great job.

vCash
    Braves just keep surprising me. I really didn't see us getting a split at worst. Great job.
    Keep the faith, man. We are 8-2 in the last 10 games. Maybe Hunter Renfroe will punish the Phils for a few days, then they have to face the Red Sox again. They also play 6 games with the Nats this month.....Braves have 8 more games against the Marlins - need to beat them up.