Thread: Anyone go kayaking around North Atlanta?

vCash

Anyone go kayaking around North Atlanta?

My wife and I went for the first time at Amelia Island a while back and was wondering where a good spot to rent a kayak for a day. We might eventually buy one if we enjoy it enough and there are places to go around Woodstock.

vCash
    Not in the area although I’d like to

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    I've been kayaking all of one time, so I'm probably out of my element here. But my lone experience was sort of in your neck of the woods -- a little south of Blue Ridge, GA, on the Toccoa River. We had a great time. We did a shortish section of the river (maybe two or three hours' worth) that ranged from serene to mildly exciting (Class I+ or II- rapids were about as intense as it got (which was plenty for a novice like me)). You can do an entire day on the river as part of something called the Toccoa River Canoe Trail in the Chattahoochee National Forest. The entire float is something like 14 miles, I think. You may even be able to do the trip over the course of two days with a stop for camping in the middle.

You can do the trail by yourself or with a guide. There are lots of rental companies in the area, too. We used Jon Ron, which is about 25 minutes south of Blue Ridge right next to the Toccoa. Here are a couple of pics to give you a feel for the water and the scenery:

(I'm the goober in the big hat.)

vCash
    You should go old school - "Shoot the Hooch"

Growing up in Marietta - that was the late spring Friday ritual - skip out of school at lunch with a couple of buds and some hot chicks, buy a case of beer with a fake ID, and float from Johnsons Ferry Rd to Paces Mill. Water was so cold you didnt need ice for your beer. Stop at the Cliffs near Ray's on the River to see who was brave enough to jump (only if the water was deep). Maybe sneak a little weed in for fun. Back in the late 70s and early 80s, you would drive over the Chattahoochee on 75 and regularly see 100s of people floating the river. I miss those days - it was like something you'd see in a classic movie like Dazed and Confused.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18