Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MSU Diagonal Logo on 4 Helmet Colors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    The grey helmets with the interlocking MSU and our current uni combo with the grey pants and maroon piping. Lock it down. That would be slick.
    I don't care for the gray pants. Now who had them for decades before us? Oh, yeah, the rebs. That's the first thing I think of when we wear them. What is wrong with our school colors, maroon and white, with special uni's every once in a while? JMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    If you use 'State' in and around Atlanta, they assume you mean Georgia State.Attachment 3049
    I'm not sure this is completely so. I think if you're talking to SEC or ACC folks in this area - and I've been here 25 years - they really do think of Mississippi State. I frequently see Auburn people online talking about "going to the State game" and they are not talking about Georgia State.

I think "State" means Mississippi State if you are talking to SEC folks and many ACC folks. Context is crucial, too. And I'm not a fan of branding "State" as a solo term. But "Hail State" has been exceptionally effective for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Doubt we'd even have to purchase it. Just let Adidas cook us up some new logos. So tired of the M State on everything and the excuse that the school is pot committed on the M State logo only. By far my least favorite logo is the Mississippi State legal banner though. Whoever keeps insisting we must spell out our entire name needs to go focus on the campus dandelions instead of giving uniform advice. You don't ever see Louisiana State or Pennsylvania State on uniforms for a reason and it isn't complicated. Our state name is too damn long. Just be MSU. Nobody gives a crap if someone in Wisconsin doesn't know the difference. Those people aren't our target market. Anyone attending our school knows the damn difference between Mississippi State and Michigan State already.

The banner logo like in the first pick is my favorite. Wish we used it everywhere but baseball.

vCash
    Because 'State' is literally the second least unique name associated with a university. It is not unique at all, which is precisely why no one uses it. You can't ever nationally brand 'State' because that term is used for someone everywhere you go. If you use 'State' in and around Atlanta, they assume you mean Georgia State. If you use it in Arizona, they assume you mean Arizona State. Literally every state has one. Even if you use it constantly for us, the rest of the country won't ever catch onto that. No other state has a prominent 'Stanford' or 'Auburn.' Everybody has a State. There is no equating those things.

Short answer - No one else uses it nationally. Because everyone uses it locally. It would be like saying, 'We should use 'University' because no one else uses it. It's unique.'

For the record, I do love just ' State' on our uniforms and hate the banner. But guess what:
    Attachment 3049

No, no, no, this is the kind of small minded thinking we have to get away from.

We are not competing with GA State, CO State, Montana State, Jackson State, Alabama State, etc., for attention. We are competing with Louisiana State and Florida State for attention, neither goes by "State." The Ohio State University is a little out of our legue, but they are never refered to as "State" either.

Now we also need to consider NC State, Michigan State and Oklahoma State. I lived in NC in the 90s and NC State didn't even get attention in Raleigh. Obviously Michigan State and Oklahoma State are big time programs, but rarely would one mention either of those and us in the same conversation.

Mississippi is just too long, too many syllables, the confederates realized this long ago, that's why they do not use the "University of Mississippi" or "Mississippi."

Do we want to be "MState?" it just doesn't fit. No one in our college sports sphere is know as "State" with the possible exceptions of Oklahoma State and Michigan State and neither is considered "southern football."

State is our ticket, we need to claim it now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    No, no, no, this is the kind of small minded thinking we have to get away from.

We are not competing with GA State, CO State, Montana State, Jackson State, Alabama State, etc., for attention. We are competing with Louisiana State and Florida State for attention, neither goes by "State." The Ohio State University is a little out of our legue, but they are never refered to as "State" either.

Now we also need to consider NC State, Michigan State and Oklahoma State. I lived in NC in the 90s and NC State didn't even get attention in Raleigh. Obviously Michigan State and Oklahoma State are big time programs, but rarely would one mention either of those and us in the same conversation.

Mississippi is just too long, too many syllables, the confederates realized this long ago, that's why they do not use the "University of Mississippi" or "Mississippi."

Do we want to be "MState?" it just doesn't fit. No one in our college sports sphere is know as "State" with the possible exceptions of Oklahoma State and Michigan State and neither is considered "southern football."

State is our ticket, we need to claim it now.
    I'm glad you aren't in charge of our branding or marketing.

vCash
    I'm a fan of those baseball tribute football uniforms especially the helmet.
    It is easily recognizable and there's not another logo quite like it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    I'm not sure this is completely so. I think if you're talking to SEC or ACC folks in this area - and I've been here 25 years - they really do think of Mississippi State. I frequently see Auburn people online talking about "going to the State game" and they are not talking about Georgia State.

I think "State" means Mississippi State if you are talking to SEC folks and many ACC folks. Context is crucial, too. And I'm not a fan of branding "State" as a solo term. But "Hail State" has been exceptionally effective for us.
    Context obviously matters. If you are talking to a fan of SEC football about SEC football, sure, they may know you're talking about us. But if you just tell someone you're going to State, they will absolutely assume you mean Georgia State.

vCash
    Okay. I'm still not convinced but I'm not going to argue this further. I will certainly agree that GaState has been increasing in awareness since they established their football program, but the word 'absolutely' doesn't match my experience.

vCash
    Context obviously matters. If you are talking to a fan of SEC football about SEC football, sure, they may know you're talking about us. But if you just tell someone you're going to State, they will absolutely assume you mean Georgia State.
    So, every time someone mentions "State"- they automatically think Georgia State? Right.