Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generation Murph

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I think you have to differentiate between Murphy and Kingman because of the awards. Kingman was an All-Star three times, no MVPS. He was not considered a dominate player of his era. He led the AL in HR twice but never got above 11th in MVP voting even in his best season.
    Murphy also has a career 46.5 WAR to Kingman's 17.3 WAR.

Banned
    vCash
    Yeah - Koufax had a real interesting career. He almost quit after going 8-13 in '60 to go into electronics. He gets in tip top shape for '61 to give it one more go and then goes 18-13. He then rattles off one of the best 5 year stretches of the live ball era and retires with arthritis in his elbow.
    So in other words, had he not had the 1st 6 years of mediocrity, he would not be in the HOF one would assume. If he only had the 6 years of dominance, would not be there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Murphy also has a career 46.5 WAR to Kingman's 17.3 WAR.
    I was mostly making the Kingman comparison because I don?t think Murphy should be in the HOF. Someone that batted above .300 only twice in 16 or 17 seasons shouldn?t be the in the Hall unless they are a defensive juggernaut like Ozzie Smith

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawglb View Post
    I know everyone loves Dale Murphy, but if he gets in the HOF, then someone like Dave Kingman deserves in as well. He had more HR?s in less at bats and same number of RBI?s as Murphy. Neither of them sniffed .300 batting average for career and both had about 1700 strike outs.
    Dale Murphy was a FAR better player than Dave Kingman. Holy crap.

vCash
    I was mostly making the Kingman comparison because I don?t think Murphy should be in the HOF. Someone that batted above .300 only twice in 16 or 17 seasons shouldn?t be the in the Hall unless they are a defensive juggernaut like Ozzie Smith
    That's like saying Pujols shouldn't be in the HOF because Mark Grace isn't. It's a nonsensical argument.

vCash
    Are MLB voters as shady and vindictive as some NFL HOF voters have historically shown?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Considering there are only 3 guys with multiple MVP awards not in the Hall, it's a travesty. Hell, Roger Maris should be in the Hall IMO.
    Right on!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Are MLB voters as shady and vindictive as some NFL HOF voters have historically shown?
    Worse, Tusk! Way worse!

vCash
    One thing to remember too, it's not just about offense. Murph was an elite defender with a cannon arm. He was one of the best outfielders in the game for almost a decade.

vCash
    Murphy won 5 gold gloves. His WAR is close to Jim Rice who won 1 mvp. Murphy’s OPS would put him a tie for 100th in the Hall of Fame with Barry Larkin and Roush, one spot behind Johnny Bench.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    So in other words, had he not had the 1st 6 years of mediocrity, he would not be in the HOF one would assume. If he only had the 6 years of dominance, would not be there?
    I'm saying that we don't give equal credit sometimes based on some pretty arbitrary measures, that get thrown out the window when the voters want them to be.
    If you had asked me in 1990 who I thought would be a HOF lock of 1990s pitchers who still had years left I would have said Brett Saberhagen and Doc Gooden. Sabes was 92-55 with a CY in 7 seasons - and was only 26. He played for 9 more season, but was injured in 5 of them and pitched sparingly. Doc was 119-40, with 4 AS games, ROY, and a CY in 7 seasons and was only 25. We all know what happened to Doc. So, Saberhagen and Gooden - who were arguably the best pitchers in baseball from 1984 - 1990 gets penalized for trying to fight through injuries and drugs to have a long careers while Koufax is regarded as one of the best ever.

Say Koufax had gotten surgery for arthritis (which were probably bone spurs), and comes back and fights through 4-5 more years and is basically a .500 pitcher over 80 starts and ends up 195-127 (almost identical to Doc's 194-112). Is Koufax a HOF?
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    One thing to remember too, it's not just about offense. Murph was an elite defender with a cannon arm. He was one of the best outfielders in the game for almost a decade.
    He wasn't. His defense didn't really hurt him, but it was below average.

vCash
    I'm saying that we don't give equal credit sometimes based on some pretty arbitrary measures, that get thrown out the window when the voters want them to be.
    If you had asked me in 1990 who I thought would be a HOF lock of 1990s pitchers who still had years left I would have said Brett Saberhagen and Doc Gooden. Sabes was 92-55 with a CY in 7 seasons - and was only 26. He played for 9 more season, but was injured in 5 of them and pitched sparingly. Doc was 119-40, with 4 AS games, ROY, and a CY in 7 seasons and was only 25. We all know what happened to Doc. So, Saberhagen and Gooden - who were arguably the best pitchers in baseball from 1984 - 1990 gets penalized for trying to fight through injuries and drugs to have a long careers while Koufax is regarded as one of the best ever.

Say Koufax had gotten surgery for arthritis (which were probably bone spurs), and comes back and fights through 4-5 more years and is basically a .500 pitcher over 80 starts and ends up 195-127 (almost identical to Doc's 194-112). Is Koufax a HOF?
    You're right about perception, but Koufax's peak was longer, better, and more consistent than either of those guys.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The 5 Gold Gloves were undeserved?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    5 Gold Gloves, 3 seasons of top 10 in putouts as CF, 6 seasons top 10 putouts as RF(led league 3 times), 6 seasons top 10 in assists as CF(led league once), 2 seasons top 10 in assists as RF(led league once), 4 seasons top 10 in Fielding Percentage as CF, 4 seasons top 10 fielding percentage as RF, 66th in career putouts as an OF.

I'm sorry but that's not a below average outfielder.