Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Malik Newman

vCash
    He was coached by Ben Howland and Bill Self, two historically great coaches, and even they couldn’t get him NBA ready.

I don’t think Malik and Horatio have anyone to blame but themselves. It sure seemed like they thought it was all Howland’s fault two years ago. Clearly that wasn’t the truth.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Interesting - wonder if attendance is up there or if sponsorship is up or something. The WNBA just hasn't been able to sell itself.
    Would be interested to know where the Euros to the women players are coming from. The WNBA is totally dependent on the NBA to keep it alive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Interesting - wonder if attendance is up there or if sponsorship is up or something. The WNBA just hasn't been able to sell itself.
    nm
    Last edited by Johnson85; 07-20-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justwin View Post
    Nick spoon is better player
    Hell, Q is a better player..
    No Signature

vCash
    First off, Big Train and Little Train will go in denial, they want blame themselves but will continue to point figures until it's over which will be reality.

Actually this happens a lot now days, go watch travel ball baseball and the parents dream of their kid playing MLB. It's crazy but basketball and so call agents for kids has been out of whack a lot longer.

European Women Basketball League has been around a long time. I remember working basketball camps across the country and a few "European girls" being at camps as counselors and a few European coaches. They were way ahead of women basketball players back then. Pat Summit/Tn played a huge role in making basketball popular in the USA.

vCash
    It's so crazy to me that one rule is the difference between Malik being a millionaire and him having to try and make a living in Europe. The one-and-done bit him badly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    It's so crazy to me that one rule is the difference between Malik being a millionaire and him having to try and make a living in Europe. The one-and-done bit him badly
    In an alternate universe, Malik just finished out his multi-year, multimillion dollar rookie contract after spending almost all of his time in the D-League, and would now be heading off to europe or China with either a heft nest egg or a lot of frivolous spending in his past.

Although maybe if a team had made that investment in him adn felt obligated to keep him in the D-league, he would been shocked into realizing he was a marginal player and spent the last three years focusing on his defense and shooting enough to be an NBA role player.

vCash
    Sad part is when he gets older and realizes that his ole daddy was much to blame for the outcome of a once promising career.

Of course that to say if he hasn't already.

Banned
    vCash
    So maybe Horatio and Malik probably knew he was too short to play the # 2 so it was playing the #1 in the NBA or nothing I guess. Maybe that was there only route.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not sure it really would have changed. If he showed poorly at the McD practices and then did poor in predraft camp he might not have been a first round pick. He never really got put under the microscope by the NBA while he was in HS

vCash
    I feel genuinely bad for him. I think he was one of these kids who is told they are so special, and he probably never had to work that hard to do well in high school. It all came naturally until he got to college and other kids were just as good. No one pushed him or held him to any standard in high school and then he has to play by the same rules as everyone else. The dad just enabled it the entire time. Most of these kids don't make, but they all want to think they're the exception. He was so sure of himself he didn't even get evaluated without an agent, which would be the smart thing to do.

vCash
    I hate stories like this. Absolute shame.

vCash
    I could understand leaving one school, but he was flat out dumb for leaving Kansas.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I could understand leaving one school, but he was flat out dumb for leaving Kansas.
    Yup, at least finish your degree. Leaving early doesn't work well for basketball players that aren't 1st round picks usually. Newman was hurt while with the Lakers too. He's just not very tough. Most aren't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    overseas though.
    $ can be made overseas and his handlers/family, posse will still get their %. Should have listened to Howland and improved his game at State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Did you know that the women league in Europe pays more then WNBA? Not the case for men but I found that interesting. Also many of our women try to get to Europe in the off season to play and what is more crazy the highest paid women in their league are the Women from the WNBA. Just seem ass backwards.
    I think I read that the NBA helps finance the WNBA, other wise it would fold. I don't think there is interest/attendance to carry it otherwise. (I might be wrong about the NBA help).

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    overseas though.
    I think Dontae Jones has an opening for a chicken fry cook on his food truck in Nashville. Would be a good opp for Malik to start off at the bottom and work his way up to a management job.....maybe even get a truck of his own.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bull View Post
    I think Dontae Jones has an opening for a chicken fry cook on his food truck in Nashville. Would be a good opp for Malik to start off at the bottom and work his way up to a management job.....maybe even get a truck of his own.
    Dontae owns a food truck?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Dontae owns a food truck?
    No, he was a chicken fry cook once, but the food truck....I made up. Actually can be a decent business if you know how to cook well.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bull View Post
    No, he was a chicken fry cook once, but the food truck....I made up. Actually can be a decent business if you know how to cook well.
    How difficult is it to cook chicken.