Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Only Returns 10 Starters

vCash

Alabama Only Returns 10 Starters

Is this normal for them or is their turnover a little high this year compared to previous years?

I realize that the new guys are all high 4 & 5 star recruits, but having 12 new starters seems like an awful lot.

vCash
    When half your juniors are probably second round or better draft picks it seems logical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Is this normal for them or is their turnover a little high this year compared to previous years?

I realize that the new guys are all high 4 & 5 star recruits, but having 12 new starters seems like an awful lot.
    It's actually not bad. I'll try to find it but I think Bama actually returns a much more experienced team this year than they did last year.

vCash

I think more importantly then that is these are the two weakest coordinators that Saban has had at Alabama. Neither of them have been coordinators before. He did a horrible job hiring and replacing Dable and Pruitt in the offseason. I know it’s Alabama and all but imo if they struggle it will come down to these two coordinators. I think this is getting overlooked with everyone picking Bama.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    But they are all 18*s

vCash
    I am assuming the LB's that played against us last year are the one's who will be replacing the starters lost and if so I was not impress with them. They will get better and Davis will still be a beast on the DL.

vCash
    There was a thread about this on tRant a while back, I'll pull out the synopsis: https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-foo...son-/77636772/

Phil Steele ranks the teams by experience going into every season. His formula is described as: "To formulate a point system, I awarded 3 points for every senior starter (2.5 for every additional senior in the two deep) 2 points for every junior starter (1.5 for every additional junior in the two deep) 1 point for a sophomore starter (0.5 for every additional soph in the two deep) then subtracted 1 point for every frosh starter and .5 for every frosh in the two deep."

Nationally, the list includes the SEC as:
    9. Mississippi State
    31. Alabama
    44. Missouri
    44. Vanderbilt
    50. Florida
    50. Ole Miss
    56. Georgia
    56. South Carolina
    79. Arkansas
    84. Kentucky
    84. Tennessee
    95. Auburn
    108. Texas A&M
    126. LSU

Going into last season, it looked like (source: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...ed-experience/)
    Tennessee (No. 3 overall)
    LSU (No. 8)
    Vanderbilt (No. 35)
    Georgia (No. 37)
    Missouri (No. 83)
    Kentucky (No. 84)
    Arkansas (No. 92)
    Auburn (No. 94)
    Mississippi State (No. 97)
    Ole Miss (No. 100)
    Florida (No. 103)
    South Carolina (No. 108)
    Texas A&M (No. 114)
    Alabama (No. 116)

In short, Bama has an exceptionally experienced team by their standards. Also, so do we.

Banned
    vCash

Anybody else, it might mean something. But with BAMA, it means nothing. They have 3 deep at every position that can win the SECC. IMO, the only thing that matters is stopping their run game. If you cant stop Damien Harris, you will not beat BAMA. We need to hold him less than 100 yds. to have a chance.

vCash
    They've still got the guys that determined Ridley was pushed out of bounds so I'm sure they'll be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I think more importantly then that is these are the two weakest coordinators that Saban has had at Alabama. Neither of them have been coordinators before. He did a horrible job hiring and replacing Dable and Pruitt in the offseason. I know it’s Alabama and all but imo if they struggle it will come down to these two coordinators. I think this is getting overlooked with everyone picking Bama.
    This sounds like a bit of wishful thinking. Saban has never done a horrible job at anything when it pertains to football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    They've still got the guys that determined Ridley was pushed out of bounds so I'm sure they'll be fine.
    Yeah it's a shame when you have to beat 19 foe's every play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tireddawg View Post
    This sounds like a bit of wishful thinking. Saban has never done a horrible job at anything when it pertains to football.
    The FG against Auburn was pretty horrible

vCash
    Yeah Nick had a hammie, not his normal kicking self.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tireddawg View Post
    Yeah Nick had a hammie, not his normal kicking self.
    The decision and the decision to have full protection players on the field and nobody who could actually have a chance to making a tackle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    The FG against Auburn was pretty horrible
    Special teams has been Saban's weak spot. Kickers have cost him at least one perfect season not including the one you are talking about. Also missed a short field goal against Georgia last year.

vCash
    Saying bama has lost too many starters is like saying the N.E. Patriots lost too many players to free agency. However, I feel this MSU team and staff can send me on my 2nd trip to Atlanta. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Special teams has been Saban's weak spot. Kickers have cost him at least one perfect season not including the one you are talking about. Also missed a short field goal against Georgia last year.
    Agreed. Special teams has been issues for his teams multiple times

vCash
    The NFL hammered bammer exceptionally hard, this year... I think 12 got drafted and prolly another ~4 signed as a FA...

IMO, the offense will be a bit better... I expect improvement in all position groups, especially the skill positions... Ridley (WR) and Bozeman (OL) are the only ones worth noting...

The DL lacks the typical depth, but the 1st group is legit... Lost 2 of 3 guys...

The case is similar with LBs, but they will likely be the strong part of the D... Lewis gettin' hurt is a bitch, but this group is really deep and talented... Lost 3 guys here...

The 2ndary is an unkown (at least to me)... Lots of talent but only one S and one CB have any experience... We lost prolly the top 6 cats... My hope is that they will have time to gel by November...

Our K will definitely be better after that double agent Papponivichski graduated... Punter position is supposed to be really good this year, although I dunno how we could do better than JK.

I'm not yet sweating coaching staff changes... MDL will micromanage that shit....

The schedule sets up really well this year (even better than last year)... What I think will be the most competitive games are backloaded with 11/3 at LSU, 11/10 MSU, 11/24 Auburn... It's not unforeseeable bammer is double digits favorites for the every game (especially if Oregeron does what he does and AU goes "Hyde" on us)...

sorry for the long post...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    The NFL hammered bammer exceptionally hard, this year... I think 12 got drafted and prolly another ~4 signed as a FA...

IMO, the offense will be a bit better... I expect improvement in all position groups, especially the skill positions... Ridley (WR) and Bozeman (OL) are the only ones worth noting...

The DL lacks the typical depth, but the 1st group is legit... Lost 2 of 3 guys...

The case is similar with LBs, but they will likely be the strong part of the D... Lewis gettin' hurt is a bitch, but this group is really deep and talented... Lost 3 guys here...

The 2ndary is an unkown (at least to me)... Lots of talent but only one S and one CB have any experience... We lost prolly the top 6 cats... My hope is that they will have time to gel by November...

Our K will definitely be better after that double agent Papponivichski graduated... Punter position is supposed to be really good this year, although I dunno how we could do better than JK.

I'm not yet sweating coaching staff changes... MDL will micromanage that shit....

The schedule sets up really well this year (even better than last year)... What I think will be the most competitive games are backloaded with 11/3 at LSU, 11/10 MSU, 11/24 Auburn... It's not unforeseeable bammer is double digits favorites for the every game (especially if Oregeron does what he does and AU goes "Hyde" on us)...

sorry for the long post...
    Favored by double digits in every game? Not another year of you bama fans showing no interest until the playoffs and everyone else another hopeless also ran. bama and the 15 weak sisters again. Cancelling my season tickets and will just watch the World Cup replays!**** Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Favored by double digits in every game? Not another year of you bama fans showing no interest until the playoffs and everyone else another hopeless also ran. bama and the 15 weak sisters again. Cancelling my season tickets and will just watch the World Cup replays!**** Hail State!
    I said it wasn't "unforeseeable" with a couple qualifiers... I'd be surprised if they were double digit gametime favs in all 12... My money is on 1 or 2 of the mentioned games being single digits...

Funny Post though!
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17