Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 EPL thread.....

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Well Jamie 17'n Vardy got a red card for a stupid tackle in our 2-0 win over Wolverhampton. I'll say this, we were lucky to walk out of there with 3 points, irregardless of what the scoreline was. Wolves are a dangerous club that are very aggressive on the onset. Good 3 points for us at home, but we head to Southampton next. Here's to another 3 points.....maybe.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Liverpool go top(for now) with a 1-0 win at Anfield over Brighton. It wasn't pretty, but I'm pretty pumped over it. That was the kind of game we would have lost or drawn last year. Allison had little to do but he made a huge save near the end to preserve the win. This was the type of game you have to win if you want to challenge for the title. I'll take it all day long.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Slabhead with a 90'+2 header goal to have us get 3 points in a 2-1 clash at Southampton. Now Vardy is suspended until September 15, but our offense seems to be doing fine at the moment. Next up for the Foxes is a home clash against 1-place Liverpool. Should be a fun one
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    As I expected, Southampton is looking to be in a relegation battle this season. 3 games in and 1 point to show for it. At least I can entertain myself with watching the Man U drama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgHouseUnited View Post
    As I expected, Southampton is looking to be in a relegation battle this season. 3 games in and 1 point to show for it. At least I can entertain myself with watching the Man U drama.
    Newcastle's in the same boat. Not a very good team at all. Between the drama at Man U and the actual soccer that Liverpool and City play, there's plenty to be entertained by.

vCash
    Manchester United 0 Tottenham 3 @ Old Trafford.

Banned
    vCash
    Tottenham, City, Chelsea and Liverpool look to be the top 4 this year not necessarily in that order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Tottenham, City, Chelsea and Liverpool look to be the top 4 this year not necessarily in that order.
    Tottenham, City and Liverpool have the talent and the cohesion. Chelsea is a bit of an unknown quantity, and they've got 9 points right now but they haven't impressed me like those other 3. If Man U sacks Jose soon and hires Conte or Zidane they could suddenly become interesting too...from a soccer standpoint rather than a circus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    Tottenham, City and Liverpool have the talent and the cohesion. Chelsea is a bit of an unknown quantity, and they've got 9 points right now but they haven't impressed me like those other 3. If Man U sacks Jose soon and hires Conte or Zidane they could suddenly become interesting too...from a soccer standpoint rather than a circus.
    Didn't they just renew Jose's contract though? The guys I listen to on the radio were talking like he needs to go desperately, but the club is kinda stuck with him right now.

Banned
    vCash
    I haven't seen Watford yet but they have 9 points so I'm curious.
    Last edited by Dawg61; 08-28-2018 at 10:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgHouseUnited View Post
    Didn't they just renew Jose's contract though? The guys I listen to on the radio were talking like he needs to go desperately, but the club is kinda stuck with him right now.
    Out of curiosity, who do you listen to?

From what I've read and the Total Soccer Podcast episode I just listened to about ManU, Jose and his agent basically leveraged the open PSG job over the summer and Man U more or less panicked and gave him a contract extension. But I personally believe that unless there's something barring it in his contract, ManU will let him go whenever they've had enough. All the Top 6 clubs are basically bottomless pits of money at this point, and they're the biggest of the bunch.

I also think they desperately need to get rid of him though for a million reasons:
    - He's a huge asshole--its somewhat fine to be an asshole coach in practice and the locker room and whatnot, but continuously throwing players under the bus in front of the media is completely different level
    - His track record is pretty established at this point. Year 2 is the peak and year 3 is a train wreck
    - He's supposedly not even on speaking terms with the their Director of Football anymore after the last transfer window because he wasn't given enough transfer $$ in his eyes. The DoF is the person who actually decides who the club buys.
    -His style of soccer already didn't jive with the "Man U way", but on top of that it doesn't even seem to be effective anymore
    -His style of soccer is boring as hell from an entertainment standpoint
    - Pogba is supposedly sick of him, and the rumblings late in the transfer window of him going to Barca were supposedly put out by his agent as a threat to ManU/Jose. It wouldn't surprise me if they basically say "its me or him" after this summer (assuming Jose isn't already gone)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    Out of curiosity, who do you listen to?

From what I've read and the Total Soccer Podcast episode I just listened to about ManU, Jose and his agent basically leveraged the open PSG job over the summer and Man U more or less panicked and gave him a contract extension. But I personally believe that unless there's something barring it in his contract, ManU will let him go whenever they've had enough. All the Top 6 clubs are basically bottomless pits of money at this point, and they're the biggest of the bunch.

I also think they desperately need to get rid of him though for a million reasons:
    - He's a huge asshole--its somewhat fine to be an asshole coach in practice and the locker room and whatnot, but continuously throwing players under the bus in front of the media is completely different level
    - His track record is pretty established at this point. Year 2 is the peak and year 3 is a train wreck
    - He's supposedly not even on speaking terms with the their Director of Football anymore after the last transfer window because he wasn't given enough transfer $$ in his eyes. The DoF is the person who actually decides who the club buys.
    -His style of soccer already didn't jive with the "Man U way", but on top of that it doesn't even seem to be effective anymore
    -His style of soccer is boring as hell from an entertainment standpoint
    - Pogba is supposedly sick of him, and the rumblings late in the transfer window of him going to Barca were supposedly put out by his agent as a threat to ManU/Jose. It wouldn't surprise me if they basically say "its me or him" after this summer (assuming Jose isn't already gone)
    I enjoy the SiriusXM FC channel, and I'm in the car listening when Grumpy Pundits comes on. Those two guys really ring the "he's got to go" bell, but they don't think the club will pull the trigger before Christmas. Today they were talking about how surprised they were that so many fans were still on board with Jose.

vCash
    The biggest thing about Jose and Man U is his style of play is not a fit for the culture there. I hate them but under Sir Alex they played beautiful football when they could. They still had the steel to grind out a 0-1 win at Leeds or West Ham too. The beautiful game has never been Jose's thing. He'd rather park the bus than drive it in the big games. It has worked for him in the past and might again.....at a club that would embrace that style. It worked at Chelski because they had never really won much and didn't care how it happened when they did. It's going to take more than a few more years for it to win over the fans at Old Trafford, especially with their two biggest rivals playing the beautiful game so well now.

vCash
    It worked at Chelsea during his 2nd year (the magic year for whatever reason), when Tottenham was really the only other big 6 club that wasn't lost in the wilderness (Arsenal, ManU) or early in their rebuilding phase with a new coach (City and Liverpool).

vCash
    Watching Mou meltdown is awesome. And how dumb was ManU to extend him? His track record is well established by now. He's a short term fixer. No stamina.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    So can they pull out a W vs Burnley? Just for the drama I'd love to see them lose, but I doubt that happens.

The guys on the radio this morning picked my Saints to lose to Crystal palace... SMH they're probably right though. I'm not too optimistic about them this year.

vCash
    What is it about the water at Melwood that turns keepers brains to mush? We still got the win but I'll be surprised if we stay top. Somebody will pass us on goal difference now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    What is it about the water at Melwood that turns keepers brains to mush? We still got the win but I'll be surprised if we stay top. Somebody will pass us on goal difference now.
    Because everyone should be worried about the table after just 4 matches.*****
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Because everyone should be worried about the table after just 4 matches.*****
    Better at the top than down below no matter what point in the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I haven't seen Watford yet but they have 9 points so I'm curious.
    If today is any indication Watford are for real. 2-1 over Spurs.