Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitz before Dak

vCash

Fitz before Dak

I was watching some old highlight videos and a thought hit me. If Fitz had come before Dak, would he have been as or even more popular than Dak? Dak was/is amazing but did have the advantage of no real predecessor.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post
    I was watching some old highlight videos and a thought hit me. If Fitz had come before Dak, would he have been as or even more popular than Dak? Dak was/is amazing but did have the advantage of no real predecessor.
    Daks intangibles is what made him so special.

vCash
    Dak also is the only QB that lead us to a #1 ranking. If Fitz can do that this year and be a legit Heisman contender (especially get an invite to New York) then he could be just as high as Dak. But Dak will forever live in Lore, not just for what he did in starkville but the pride he continued to give us his rookie year in Dallas.

vCash
    No

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Daks intangibles is what made him so special.
    This. His intangibles are what set the expectation for the qb's. Fitz is an ultra competitive guy, doesn't have the same intangibles, but Dak setting those high expectations pushed Fitz as a competitor.

vCash
    I'm going to push back on this and say yes.
    What intangible does Dak have that Fitz doesn't?
    Leadership? Check
    Hard Worker? Check
    Ability to put a team on his back and will them to a win? See entire 2016 season.
    Ability to put team first? Check
    Overcome hardship and obstacles to become the player/leader he is? Check
    Teammates love him? Check (Get over the BS rumors pre-2016 - as we all can see now a lot of that was probably fueled by Dam Williams and his guys)
    Top 10 Candidate for the most prestigious award in college football? Check

Now, he is about to come back from a career threatening injury, with the potential to lead a team to it's first SEC Title since before the German's bombed Pearl Harbor - and you guys are saying that if you removed Dak from the equation Fitz still doesn't measure up??? Greatest QB and arguably greatest athlete in the history of the football program if you remove Dak - and if he brings us an SEC West/SEC/or NC this year will have surpassed Dak in many ways.

I love Dak - but some of y'all need a head check.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Leadership? Check
    Hard Worker? Check
    Ability to put a team on his back and will them to a win? See entire 2016 season.
    Teammates love him? Check (Get over the BS rumors pre-2016 - as we all can see now a lot of that was probably fueled by Dam Williams and his guys)

Now, he is about to come back from a career threatening injury, with the potential to lead a team to it's first SEC Title since before the German's bombed Pearl Harbor - and you guys are saying that if you removed Dak from the equation Fitz still doesn't measure up??? Greatest QB and arguably greatest athlete in the history of the football program if you remove Dak - and if he brings us an SEC West/SEC/or NC this year will have surpassed Dak in many ways.

I love Fitzgerald, but Dak is a different kind of special. He just is. Showcased it in the NFL as well.

Of course he'll surpass Dak if he wins a national title. But let's actually get there first before making any of these claims.

vCash
    I don't think it's a knock on Fitz to say Dak would be more popular no matter what. It's not all about what happens on the field. Dak even said that Fitz is more talented than him. Dak just has something special that few people have. He's both famous and very approachable, or at least he was when he was at State. Dak goes out of his way to represent State. I don't think it's in Fitz's nature to attend the women's national championship on the front row and go crazy representing State. That's not a knock, everyone is different. The media loved Dak and that's a big deal because they don't love a lot of athletes and a lot of athletes don't love them. Dak is kind of the face of Mississippi State football and that is not a job that everyone would want. It comes with a lot of responsibility and scrutiny.

vCash
    Leadership? Check
    Hard Worker? Check

You may need the head check. Dak just had IT, whatever IT is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I don't think it's a knock on Fitz to say Dak would be more popular no matter what. It's not all about what happens on the field. Dak even said that Fitz is more talented than him. Dak just has something special that few people have. He's both famous and very approachable, or at least he was when he was at State. Dak goes out of his way to represent State. I don't think it's in Fitz's nature to attend the women's national championship on the front row and go crazy representing State. That's not a knock, everyone is different. The media loved Dak and that's a big deal because they don't love a lot of athletes and a lot of athletes don't love them. Dak is kind of the face of Mississippi State football and that is not a job that everyone would want. It comes with a lot of responsibility and scrutiny.
    I'm not debating that Dak is not something special. What I am saying - as I think the original poster is as well - is that if Fitz had come first, would he have taken that face of the program spot. I think he would. Fitz was at basketball games, he goes to a lot of baseball games, and is involved on campus. But, you already have a "face" in Dak so he isn't as hyped or asked to fill the roles that Dak is asked to fill. You also have to take what Dak has done post MSU out of the equation since Fitz is still in school.

Look at where Fitz would be right now if Dak was pulled out of the picture:
    1) First legit Heisman candidate
    2) About to become all-time leading rusher in SEC history for a QB
    3) Would hold most of MSU's QB related records in addition to probably being our #2 all time rusher
    4) Would a led a resurgence from a 5-7 team to a dark horse SEC title contender while recovering from a career threatening injury
    5) A guy only 1 school would give a shot as college QB does all of this?

The university would be pumping Fitz and he would have filled the face roll without question - because there wasn't one prior to Dak. Now, would Dak have likely taken over that role from Fitz if his same path came after Fitz? More than likely. But, y'all are acting like there is only one face of a program. That's not true in great programs. When I say Alabama do you think of only Joe Namath? Does Miami only mean Jim Kelly? No. Dak has benefited greatly as well by being a successful NFL QB for the most visible franchise in the NFL. What if Fitz gets drafted - higher than Dak - by the Giants and takes over for Eli Manning? Would you not recognize him as being equally as important to the growth of MSU football? Would you not point to him and Dak as the Clark & Palmerio of MSU football (look at that - more than one face of the program)? Dak had a huge benefit in being first. Our goal should be that he isn't the last.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Banned
    vCash
    Great post! Rep given.

vCash
    I love 'em both, cause their ours!

vCash
    Nick became much more beloved after Mullen left because it forced him into a leadership role. He stepped up and delivered. I'm not sure that would be the case without Mullen leaving. I think Fitz has the potential to be one of our most beloved QBs by the end of the season. Not to Dak level but close.

vCash
    Dak - by a wide margin using a simple example... If Dak were to challenge the baseball team by saying he would dye his hair based on their success - when they achieved said accomplishment - he'd already be sitting in a barber chair. Fitz, on the other hand, needed to wait to get his girlfriend's approval.***

In all seriousness, Dak caught or made (however you view it) some breaks that no one saw coming. He prepared and took advantage of every opportunity given to him, along with having a relatable experience regarding his mom's fight with cancer. The guy is just a great person on and off the field.

Fitz has come into his own as of late, but just last year there were serious question marks around him. I'm excited to see what he can do this year and think he has made huge strides in all areas.

Before of after though, there is one Dak and one Fitz so it doesn't really matter.

vCash
    I think Fitz needed Dak to have something to shoot for and try to surpass. As someone else said, he's super competitve and without Dak he would have had a very low reachable target to be our best ever QB. If Fitz had come first I think he would be remembered like Booby or Smoot.

Banned
    vCash
    I admire Fitz's toughness. Never knew he had so many bad prior injuries. If he comes back and excels this go round, I'll never put anyone else above him in the toughness category, that's for sure. Would love to see him take us higher than Dak did and if he does, Dak will be cheering for him to do so.

vCash
    Leadership? Check
    Hard Worker? Check

This all day. Fitz is more competitive than Dak in college . He would have taken that same 2014 team to the #1 ranking. I believe the only game we possibly lose with Fitz is Bama.

vCash
    Not knocking Dak but his story is him overcoming his mother's death. It's a feel good story. Fitz can do anything Dak did in every situation on the field.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Not knocking Dak but his story is him overcoming his mother's death. It's a feel good story. Fitz can do anything Dak did in every situation on the field.
    No. Dak was arguably the best college QB when he was playing at MSU. If not, he was among the top 3. Saying anybody else (Fitz) could have taken us to #1 for 5 weeks as if it's an automatic is a stretch. And no, Dak did things on the field Fitz has yet to show he can do. I hope that changes this year at Fitz shatters more Dak records this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    I stated that it's not just about what happens on the field and to narrow Dak's story down just to him dealing with his mother's death is very short sighted.