Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulldog Sports Radio is no more

vCash

Bulldog Sports Radio is no more

To complete the mass exodus of MSU media. I hope some of the podcasts continue on in some form.

vCash
    Our media just evaporated. The whole damn thing.

FWIW, I hope Hadad continues on. I think he does an outstanding job

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Our media just evaporated. The whole damn thing.

FWIW, I hope Hadad continues on. I think he does an outstanding job
    From a talking point, he does a great job. But he could certainly use a producer to help monitor audio levels so he could focus just on talking. Plenty of mornings on the way to work, I would be struggling to hear Bob and then go deaf anytime Brian would speak.
    All Aboard and Soft Landings!

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iPat09 View Post
    From a talking point, he does a great job. But he could certainly use a producer to help monitor audio levels so he could focus just on talking. Plenty of mornings on the way to work, I would be struggling to hear Bob and then go deaf anytime Brian would speak.
    IS there something to prevent hearing breathing and sighing into the mic?
    No Signature

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Alright, there is something to this. If two of our guys moved on... well that is just coincidence. Are we (MSU) putting together our own sports station or something for the SEC Network and ESPN? It would seem to me that there is an opportunity here for each team to have 20 minutes or so of air time every other day, produced solely by the University, to highlight stories from said school. That would in turn, make the SEC network something as a stronger news source about what is happening in recruiting, practice, job searches, community service, and coach interviews.

So the format could be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10-4. Each team would have 20-25 minutes to conduct interviews, look at next opponent, etc. I would tune in.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    SEC Network was poorly thought through. It sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Big time. Give me CSS all day over SECN. I used to love turning on CSS in the summer and getting to watch a classic football game pretty much anytime I tuned in. Now, good chance it's going to be some sport that nobody cares about or that awful SEC Now show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    The biggest problem with the SEC Network IMO is that it is built around Finebaum & his former Birmingham radio base.

I don't have a huge problem with Finebaum, but the non-game content on the channel covers Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, & UGA an inordinate amount compared to the rest of the conference.

vCash
    BSR didn’t quit, the parent company Vsporto quit which is causing BSR to die. From a business standpoint they were doomed. If I’m a podcaster, why in the blue hell do I sell advertising and share it with Vsporto when I can go direct to iTunes, stitcher, podbean, SoundCloud, youtube, etc... and keep everything? It was a traditional radio business plan in a non traditional space. Even when you look at the podcast giants, they don’t sell much advertising. They essentially use their audience’s purchasing power to generate money via affiliate programs. That and just how much can you say the same thing over and over. Repetitive programming killed them. The most successful sports podcast in MS, and it’s not close, is Neal’s and it’s for 1 reason (and it ain’t because everyone loves Neal): it’s bevause they talk OM 30% on most pods. They talk other schools, sports, pro sports, etc... If you want any kind of real audience you have to do more than pound MSU sports 24/7 365. There is only so much filler a normal person can endure. Somebody in the MSU community really needs to step up and do that kind of show independently. I hope Brian lands on his feet as well as everyone else associated with BSR and Vsporto.

vCash
    There's no way in hell I want to listen to Steve or Brian or Matt or Brandon or any other MSU podcast personality talk about pro sports or other stuff. I want to hear MSU. Give me 20-30 minutes and get done. That's the whole point of the podcast world: to hear specific topics rather than listening to 3 hours of terrestrial radio to get that 20-30 minutes of talk about MSU.

vCash
    Charge $10 a month to have access to all the BSR shows ad free. I bet you could get 1,000 people to subscribe. That's 10 grand a month, or 120 grand a year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    BSR didn’t quit, the parent company Vsporto quit which is causing BSR to die. From a business standpoint they were doomed. If I’m a podcaster, why in the blue hell do I sell advertising and share it with Vsporto when I can go direct to iTunes, stitcher, podbean, SoundCloud, youtube, etc... and keep everything? It was a traditional radio business plan in a non traditional space. Even when you look at the podcast giants, they don’t sell much advertising. They essentially use their audience’s purchasing power to generate money via affiliate programs. That and just how much can you say the same thing over and over. Repetitive programming killed them. The most successful sports podcast in MS, and it’s not close, is Neal’s and it’s for 1 reason (and it ain’t because everyone loves Neal): it’s bevause they talk OM 30% on most pods. They talk other schools, sports, pro sports, etc... If you want any kind of real audience you have to do more than pound MSU sports 24/7 365. There is only so much filler a normal person can endure. Somebody in the MSU community really needs to step up and do that kind of show independently. I hope Brian lands on his feet as well as everyone else associated with BSR and Vsporto.
    But I don't think BSR had a listenership problem. Perhaps Vsporto did, but I always thought BSR was fairly healthy. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like getting people to listen wasn't their problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post
    There's no way in hell I want to listen to Steve or Brian or Matt or Brandon or any other MSU podcast personality talk about pro sports or other stuff. I want to hear MSU. Give me 20-30 minutes and get done. That's the whole point of the podcast world: to hear specific topics rather than listening to 3 hours of terrestrial radio to get that 20-30 minutes of talk about MSU.
    Agree fully

vCash
    I want a system developed where I could log into a dashboard, and find all articles mentioning MSU, any keyword you want to save, along with audio clips mentioning State. It would nice if there would be a way to develop this so that you could login at the end of the day and not have to hunt for stuff on our programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post
    There isn’t 20-30 mins of daily MSU content available for 1 show much less 5+. It’s repitive and boring. It’s filler. If you can listen to 30 mins of MSU content a day, especially in the summer, you put the fanatic in fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    But I don't think BSR had a listenership problem. Perhaps Vsporto did, but I always thought BSR was fairly healthy. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like getting people to listen wasn't their problem.
    BSR had the best listenership but the Vsporto guys were MS dudes. They knew more MSU and OM folks. All the other stations didn’t take off. And again, if I have a good pod that can sell ad time, why split it with anyone when I can upload direct to the same audience.

vCash
    SEC county and VSporto gong done are pure coincidence. Brian said on Twitter he'd upload shows here https://soundcloud.com/user-739288948 starting tomorrow. Apparently Will Sammon is going to be covering Florida?? God I hate that school so much

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Charge $10 a month to have access to all the BSR shows ad free. I bet you could get 1,000 people to subscribe. That's 10 grand a month, or 120 grand a year.
    Folks ain’t paying subscriptions for fan podcast. Not even pros, just fans. The biggest pod in the world, JRE, if he went behind a paywall tomorrow his show would crumble.

vCash
    There isn’t 20-30 mins of daily MSU content available for 1 show much less 5+. It’s repitive and boring. It’s filler. If you can listen to 30 mins of MSU content a day, especially in the summer, you put the fanatic in fan.
    That probably just depends on what you do for a living. I drive 1-2 hours per day. So I am subscribed to about 8 different podcasts.....2 are MSU. I am willing to listen to one podcast a day, or perhaps two, about MSU. There are plenty of topics you can do a deep dive into during the summer.....and endless topics while the sports are going on for the other 9-10 months of the year. I don't think anyone was listening to all 5 or 5 BSR shows. I think we all had our favorite show, and listened to that one. And then if there was time we listened to our favorite show. I'm not sure anyone ever actually listened to the Sky Dawgs - that was just there because they told Brian to have x number of shows on the channel, probably as the basis for a promise of content to the advertisers.

vCash
    BSR had the best listenership but the Vsporto guys were MS dudes. They knew more MSU and OM folks. All the other stations didn’t take off. And again, if I have a good pod that can sell ad time, why split it with anyone when I can upload direct to the same audience.
    I agree with your business model proposition. I was just arguing the point about how Neal's podcast is successful because he talks about different sports. My point was that BSR had a good listening audience & whatever they were doing from a content perspective was not the problem.