Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carter Stewart

vCash

Carter Stewart

I was able to speak to someone close to the situation and was informed there is a "less than 20% chance" of Stewart attending Mississippi State. The Stewarts do not believe the injury is serious and are focusing on re-entering the draft process as soon as possible after a year in JUCO.

vCash
    Can someone explain why you can go JUCO and be one and done but must remain 3 years (or until you are 21) at a four year school?

vCash
    I hope they got good advice on the mystery injury. Does a doctor think it’s minor? Something spooked the Braves. Hopefully, the parents and kid aren’t in denial.

vCash
    Yea, something about this just doesn't sound right.

I have trouble seeing what's going to change in one year that would get him back to the same spot in the draft unless the braves were just being ridiculously over cautious. If it is something that can be repaired and/or rehabbed within a year without a lot of risk, that doesn't seem like it would have tanked his signing bonus.

I hope for their sake it's the braves being way over cautious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFromOxford View Post
    Can someone explain why you can go JUCO and be one and done but must remain 3 years (or until you are 21) at a four year school?

Would like to know this as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickCityDawgs View Post
    I was able to speak to someone close to the situation and was informed there is a "less than 20% chance" of Stewart attending Mississippi State. The Stewarts do not believe the injury is serious and are focusing on re-entering the draft process as soon as possible after a year in JUCO.
    Did your source tell you he's 80% headed to Eastern Florida State JUCO?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Yea, something about this just doesn't sound right.

I have trouble seeing what's going to change in one year that would get him back to the same spot in the draft unless the braves were just being ridiculously over cautious. If it is something that can be repaired and/or rehabbed within a year without a lot of risk, that doesn't seem like it would have tanked his signing bonus.

I hope for their sake it's the braves being way over cautious.
    Something is definitely off here. The Braves obviously wanted him until the physical. So logically, it makes you think something serious came up on the physical. Something that the Braves felt needed serious rehab or felt would damage his ability to be worth millions. It’s all speculation, but that would be the most obvious conclusion with the information we have. I keep hearing the family doesn’t think the injury is serious, but I have heard anything about an orthopedist saying it isn’t serious. I wonder if they were told he needed surgery or rehab back in April when it happened, and they shrugged it off so he could go ahead with the draft. Or maybe they got some bad advice about the injury. Something to consider, but I hope he does what is appropriate to heal his injury regardless. It would be terrible to lose such a talent.
    Last edited by Dawg2003; 07-09-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Banned
    vCash
    Well that sucks. As someone who knows next to nothing about how all this stuff works, I find it hard to believe the Braves would not have a very thorough medical examination of the wrist prior to cutting Stewart's bonus in half. If they felt anywhere near confident that a fast 100% recovery was a certainty, they would not have cut it to the degree they did. I'm of the opinion (which means absolute dick) that there is smoke here on the wrist. He still got offered 1st round $, or at least damned close to it. I'm thinking the Braves got a medical report that says surgery will or may be needed and he will not be 100% for a year or two which takes some value out of him. If this is the case, Stewart's making a mistake thinking he's a one and done at Juco. Just my worthless 2 cents opinion. Of course my biased opinion wants him with us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFromOxford View Post
    It's just the rules.... don't know why it's that way. Any player that goes JUCO is eligible for the MLB draft after each year as long as they stay in JUCO. If they sign with a D-1 school they have to wait until they've been in school 3 years or until they turn 21... whichever comes first. So, if a kid goes to JUCO for 2 years he could conceivably be drafted about 6 different times (out of HS, after 1st JUCO season, after 2nd JUCO season, after junior year at D1 school, after senior year at D1 school, also another time if redshirted somewhere in there).

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    It's just the rules.... don't know why it's that way. Any player that goes JUCO is eligible for the MLB draft after each year as long as they stay in JUCO. If they sign with a D-1 school they have to wait until they've been in school 3 years or until they turn 21... whichever comes first. So, if a kid goes to JUCO for 2 years he could conceivably be drafted about 6 different times (out of HS, after 1st JUCO season, after 2nd JUCO season, after junior year at D1 school, after senior year at D1 school, also another time if redshirted somewhere in there).
    I'd be willing to bet these are MLB rules designed to entice / threaten / gain advantage in the negotiations with high school ball players. They want them now instead of later which I think is a shame. 2 yrs of D-1 college experience vs toiling away in the minors a couple of years. I wish MLB would change their way of thinking and look at colleges as a free training ground for their future players. It would be better for the future lives of the players as well who end up not making it to the bigs.

vCash
    If we end up with Foxhall as our pitching coach and Stewart comes to State, you will be 0-3. Love how you’re hedging your bets here though.

vCash
    So if it?s something positive for State, you make fun of this guy. But if it?s negative, you believe him. Got it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    Something is definitely off here. The Braves obviously wanted him until the physical. So logically, it makes you think something serious came up on the physical. Something that the Braves felt needed serious rehab or felt would damage his ability to be worth millions. It’s all speculation, but that would be the most obvious conclusion with the information we have. I keep hearing the family doesn’t think the injury is serious, but I have heard anything about an orthopedist saying it isn’t serious. I wonder if they were told he needed surgery or rehab back in April when it happened, and they shrugged it off so he could go ahead with the draft. Or maybe they got some bad advice about the injury. Something to consider, but I hope he does what is appropriate to heal his injury regardless. It would be terrible to lose such a talent.
    The more I think about it, it actually doesn't require the braves to be that concerned for them to lowball Stewart so hard. As long as they offer 40% of slot (or whatever the minimum is), they aren't really punished because of the compensatory pick next year. They basically lose out on a year of services of a 1st round draft pick. But if you look at the likelihood of them coming back and drafting a college JR, they arguably aren't losing anything. So why put $4.8M on the line for somebody with an injury concern. They can offer ~$2M, and if he takes it, they just got an awesome deal (except maybe one with some ill will built up for later). If he doesn't, they get to be in basically the same position next year and hopefully will have somebody without any injury concerns.

So maybe the braves just don't see any reason for them to take much risk with the injury.

vCash
    The more I think about it, it actually doesn't require the braves to be that concerned for them to lowball Stewart so hard. As long as they offer 40% of slot (or whatever the minimum is), they aren't really punished because of the compensatory pick next year. They basically lose out on a year of services of a 1st round draft pick. But if you look at the likelihood of them coming back and drafting a college JR, they arguably aren't losing anything. So why put $4.8M on the line for somebody with an injury concern. They can offer ~$2M, and if he takes it, they just got an awesome deal (except maybe one with some ill will built up for later). If he doesn't, they get to be in basically the same position next year and hopefully will have somebody without any injury concerns.

So maybe the braves just don't see any reason for them to take much risk with the injury.
    The braves lost any shot at signing hess too though by not signing Stewart. Next season, the braves get the pick at 9 now, but pretty sure the amount of money they can spend in early rounds is the same. So getting 2 really good players in the 1st round will be tough.

This was the first pick for the braves' brand new GM. I don't think there is any way he took Stewart with the idea he might not sign him. I think right or wrong, the braves are clearly concerned over the wrist
    Last edited by msstate7; 07-09-2018 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    I found this chronology on Stewart rather interesting.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/7/9...atlanta-braves

vCash
    I'm even more convinced now that Stewart will never play in the Maroon and White. He simply doesn't want to be here.

vCash

Exactly. That has been AA's MO. Any risk comes up in the physical on these high priced top picks, ditch them and take your comp pick next year. Add to that that this pick is protected should they sign a FA, and that they are struggling to come up with $$ for trade deals to help this year's team, and the deck was stacked against Stewart from the beginning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I found this chronology on Stewart rather interesting.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/7/9...atlanta-braves
    It?s interesting but I don?t know if I trust Matt Powers? sources. He already admitted in that article he made up the JUCO name.

vCash
    I have a source that gives us a 34% chance

vCash
    And here’s Powers’ latest tweet which seems to be backing off the JUCO statement he claimed with 100% certainty. Lol.

Matt Powers Tweet

Haven’t heard anything new since the weekend. Know he was really looking JUCO, which has been picked up by others as well but it may not be the final decision. Probably the kind of thing that needs some time after the initial not signing sets in and the real decision making comes