Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Heat Index Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Heat Index Edition

Sorry for late posting. I had to work a kitchen cook shift tonight. Back to my roots. Nothing like the rush and grind and pressure, especially Friday night. No plans the rest of the weekend.

vCash
    For my bd and father's day, my lady got me a gift I've been eyeing for awhile: a Chef Steps Joule sous vide.

I've used it a couple times already, and it's awesome. I'm doing another steak tonight. I'll post some picks in a bit...

vCash
    Here we go...

Got a beautiful ribeye

Sealed it in a vac-bag with rosemary, thyme, and butter

In the pot...total cook time, ca. 1 hr

Did a quick sear in butter after cooking sous vide, resulting in a perfect edge-to-edge doneness. I was sharing this meat with my lady, and she likes hers on the more medium side, though I prefer it rare to medium-rare. Still, though, the doneness was perfect, and the texture was way different than normal cooking. Way more tender.

Since my weekend started last night, I might as well share this D'Artagnan brand duck breast I cooked...served with a side of roasted sweet potatoes and a red wine butter sauce.

vCash
    Looks badass. You mentioned textures differences but what about flavor? I’m such a caveman fire guy I wonder if it’s more akin to a prime rib taste?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Looks badass. You mentioned textures differences but what about flavor? I’m such a caveman fire guy I wonder if it’s more akin to a prime rib taste?
    cooking the steak slowly in the bag with the herbs, garlic, and butter really makes the their flavor more pronounced, I guess. It almost infuses the steak with those flavors, rather than just coating them. I suppose since the cook time is so long, those flavors have time to actually penetrate more than just the surface. I'm not being hyperbolic, it really is noticeable.

vCash
    We’ve gone down this road before, but I can’t seem to find it. Wife doesn’t like fat on her steaks so I bought some thick sirloins since Sam’s didn’t have any good looking strips. What’s marinades do you guys use on inexpensive cuts? I haven’t bought a cheaper cut in a long time, so I haven’t marinated anything in a while. I thoight about soy, Worcestershire, lemon, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Just wasn’t sure about portion amounts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    We’ve gone down this road before, but I can’t seem to find it. Wife doesn’t like fat on her steaks so I bought some thick sirloins since Sam’s didn’t have any good looking strips. What’s marinades do you guys use on inexpensive cuts? I haven’t bought a cheaper cut in a long time, so I haven’t marinated anything in a while. I thoight about soy, Worcestershire, lemon, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Just wasn’t sure about portion amounts.
    I made a Thai inspired steak awhile back. It was also a cheap cut, thin sirloin. I marinated it in soy and crushed garlic. Grilled it mid-rare. The best part, though, is I made a sauce to toss it in after I sliced: about 1 lime worth of juice, 1/4 cup of fish sauce, few tbsp of palm sugar (dissolved into the fish sauce and lime juice), a few diced fresno chilis, and some chopped cilantro and mint. That sauce combination will work on pork and chicken as well.

vCash
    I’m doing a pan roasted chicken for my staff today as well as some smoked bbq neckbone. I’ve got a before shot of the chicken quarters in the roasting pan. Every commercial kitchen I’ve ever worked in has these but very few home kitchens do and you should. The rack holds the meat a few inches off the bottom of the pan. Throw some water in the bottom and seal the pan with plastic wrap and foil. It makes almost anything incredible. After 2 hours I’ll pull the pan and uncover and let cool. The chicken will be so tender at that time you can’t even handle it or it will fall apart. I’ll transfer to a sheet pan and throw in a hot oven to “crisp” the skin.

vCash
    Here’s the finished product on the bbq neckbone

And here are the final steps on the chicken. Out of the roasting pan to the sheet pan. Glazed with my firecracker sauce. Finished in a 500 oven for a few minutes.