Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good MLB pitching coach fired today and is available.....

vCash
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...key/744602002/

"Spider Monkey is not a nickname I have been called or I'm familiar with," Stumpf told the Free Press.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...key/744602002/

"Spider Monkey is not a nickname I have been called or I'm familiar with," Stumpf told the Free Press.
    “Foam Bat is not a nickname I have been called or I’m familiar with,” Alexander told the Reflector.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutDog View Post
    “Foam Bat is not a nickname I have been called or I’m familiar with,” Alexander told the Reflector.

It's good that Luke didn't read some of the previous dumb and disrespectful posts on ED.

vCash
    There is literally no way that this is the whole story that got him fired.
    Exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Relax. If what he said is true he's gonna be able to sue the Tigers for 7 figures and win. That's an open and shut winnable case.
    It should never come to that. People are just a bunch of babies. Crap like this is what backs up the court system when all they had to do was sit the two guys down and let them work it out like men. Nobody wants to do that these days. They just fire the guy because somebody just thinks something racial was said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    It's good that Luke didn't read some of the previous dumb and disrespectful posts on ED.
    Don't think that our players and their parents don't know about this type posts, they know very well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    I swear if that's the truth, I can't stand this world we live in anymore. Everybody is just a bunch of thin skinned pansy ass babies always looking for some way to be offended.
    Stumpf came out and said that he?s never been called Spider Monkey, much less by anybody in the organization. In other words, the pitching coach is full of it. He used a slur. Did you really think the Cubs would do that without investigating the claim? Rich folks are way harder to fire because they can lawyer up.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bull View Post
    ...Detroit Tigers's Chris Bosio was fired for some racially insensitive remark he made toward a team employee. Didn't say what it was, but appears it was not the "N" word or any other ethnic slur that would be considered horrendous. He was previously the Chicago Cubs pitching coach for about 6 years before his gig with Detroit. If another MLB team won't hire him, it might be worth interviewing him and vetting what he said in more detail. Sometimes teams overreact to in-the-heat-of-the-moment comments and with all the political correctness we have to deal with nowadays. If it was bad, then don't do it, but it might be something relatively minor. Never know.....unless you check it out.
    Isn't Leo Mazzone available?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSebastian View Post
    Stumpf came out and said that he?s never been called Spider Monkey, much less by anybody in the organization. In other words, the pitching coach is full of it. He used a slur. Did you really think the Cubs would do that without investigating the claim? Rich folks are way harder to fire because they can lawyer up.
    This was a lead story on MSN.com yesterday. Don't think that this won't be in the news wherever he gets his next job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSebastian View Post
    Eh...that doesn't really dismantle his story. Not to defend him because I don't know what was said or meant by it BUT in a team setting it wouldn't be uncommon for coaches to refer to a player by a nickname and it not be used to their face. And he could have been telling someone how he looked like a "spider monkey" and then just described what happened by sayin it was like a nickname.

I do not find it hard to believe that an MLB coach would make insensitive comments...I just think it adds to the notion of folks being overly sensitive and wanting to be offended.

Now if he was being obviously racist and mean spirited in that...he got what he deserved. But how sensitive do you hafta be not to get fired? Does insensitive equal racist? I've been around a ton of insensitive jokes that were funny as hell that had nothing to do with race?? So I guess I just don't understand the description of the comments that were a firable offense.
    Last edited by shoeless joe; 06-29-2018 at 02:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Eh...that doesn't really dismantle his story. Not to defend him because I don't know what was said or meant by it BUT in a team setting it wouldn't be uncommon for coaches to refer to a player by a nickname and it not be used to their face. And he could have been telling someone how he looked like a "spider monkey" and then just described what happened by sayin it was like a nickname.

I do not find it hard to believe that an MLB coach would make insensitive comments...I just think it adds to the notion of folks being overly sensitive and wanting to be offended.

Now if he was being obviously racist and mean spirited in that...he got what he deserved. But how sensitive do you hafta be not to get fired? Does insensitive equal racist? I've been around a ton of insensitive jokes that were funny as hell that had nothing to do with race?? So I guess I just don't understand the description of the comments that were a firable offense.
    https://deadspin.com/report-fired-ti...bho-1827241045

Bosio called the attendant, who is African-American, a “monkey,” according to four team sources. The remark was directed toward the young man, who was collecting towels from the coaches’ room at the time, during a post-game gripe session in which Bosio was lamenting about a pitcher.

During this exchange, Bosio made a derogatory comment about one of the Tigers pitchers and then gestured toward the attendant before adding, “like this monkey here,” the sources said. The attendant pushed back at Bosio for the comment, and an additional team employee witnessed the exchange. Bosio was provided an opportunity to apologize to the attendant after his outburst but declined to do so, according to multiple sources.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Like I said, there was literally no way a team fired a him for the story he told, and his story definitely sounded like the story of a guy trying to save his reputation and career.

vCash
    https://deadspin.com/report-fired-ti...bho-1827241045

Bosio called the attendant, who is African-American, a “monkey,” according to four team sources. The remark was directed toward the young man, who was collecting towels from the coaches’ room at the time, during a post-game gripe session in which Bosio was lamenting about a pitcher.

During this exchange, Bosio made a derogatory comment about one of the Tigers pitchers and then gestured toward the attendant before adding, “like this monkey here,” the sources said. The attendant pushed back at Bosio for the comment, and an additional team employee witnessed the exchange. Bosio was provided an opportunity to apologize to the attendant after his outburst but declined to do so, according to multiple sources.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Like I said, there was literally no way a team fired a him for the story he told, and his story definitely sounded like the story of a guy trying to save his reputation and career.
    If that story is the truth then it's much more egregious obviously.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    It's still amazing to me how words just hurt so deeply. It's just words. It's not a knife or a bullet or a stick. Someone call you or me a name so what. I'm just of the opinion that if being called a name is that bad for you then it's your problem and maybe you need to toughen up a little and learn to ignore stupid shit.

ETA to make it thread relevant...if Bosio did make the comment toward the clubhouse guy who is just there picking up towels or whatever then he should be fired for being a ****ing idiot bc he's too stupid to work in MLB. Clubhouse guy doesn't have shit to do with the baseball game. Coach your pitchers better asshat.
    Last edited by I seen it dawg; 06-30-2018 at 12:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    It's still amazing to me how words just hurt so deeply. It's just words. It's not a knife or a bullet or a stick. Someone call you or me a name so what. I'm just of the opinion that if being called a name is that bad for you then it's your problem and maybe you need to toughen up a little and learn to ignore stupid shit.

ETA to make it thread relevant...if Bosio did make the comment toward the clubhouse guy who is just there picking up towels or whatever then he should be fired for being a ****ing idiot bc he's too stupid to work in MLB. Clubhouse guy doesn't have shit to do with the baseball game. Coach your pitchers better asshat.
    He got fired for being an asshole. Saying dumb racist shit is just a specific form of asshole.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post

Racial slurs don't offend white people the same way they do minorities. That's just the truth of it and it's probably scientifically provable. You can't really say anything racist towards a white person. Honkey, redneck, cracker?? White people just laugh at them. Racial slurs have been used for thousands of years as a means to dehumanize or remind someone they are considered the lesser race in society. So you and I and all other white people don't really understand why it's such a big deal because we can't understand it. Words are powerful. Especially when using one immediately reminds someone of thousands of years of slavery, genocide etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bull View Post
    ...Detroit Tigers's Chris Bosio was fired for some racially insensitive remark he made toward a team employee. Didn't say what it was, but appears it was not the "N" word or any other ethnic slur that would be considered horrendous. He was previously the Chicago Cubs pitching coach for about 6 years before his gig with Detroit. If another MLB team won't hire him, it might be worth interviewing him and vetting what he said in more detail. Sometimes teams overreact to in-the-heat-of-the-moment comments and with all the political correctness we have to deal with nowadays. If it was bad, then don't do it, but it might be something relatively minor. Never know.....unless you check it out.
    Bro, I'm starting to wonder if you and Random are brothers. You come up with some crazy logic.

vCash
    Racial slurs don't offend white people the same way they do minorities. That's just the truth of it and it's probably scientifically provable. You can't really say anything racist towards a white person. Honkey, redneck, cracker?? White people just laugh at them. Racial slurs have been used for thousands of years as a means to dehumanize or remind someone they are considered the lesser race in society. So you and I and all other white people don't really understand why it's such a big deal because we can't understand it. Words are powerful. Especially when using one immediately reminds someone of thousands of years of slavery, genocide etc...
    +1000% correct. The way it would hurt or offend a white person would be that a relatively close white female was/is called n-word lover.
    Last edited by bulldawg28; 06-30-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    “America, Home of the offended”

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    I just disagree.