Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bigger Commit/Prospect

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    You're welcome. He's really smooth defensively.
    I'll take a stab at a lineup:

C: Childers/Jones
    1B: Westburg
    2B: Rowdey
    SS: LA
    3B: Ginn
    LF: Halter
    CF: Mangum
    RF: MacNamee
    DH: Allen

In that scenario, Foscue, Anderson, and Hatcher would be the odd men out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post

I don't who will be where, but I'll be surprised if Hatcher and foscue don't get regular ABs. I expect hatcher to rebound in a big way

vCash

Pretty good lineup!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't who will be where, but I'll be surprised if Hatcher and foscue don't get regular ABs. I expect hatcher to rebound in a big way
    Well, it's still a long shot on Ginn so you can plug Foscue in at 3B if Ginn doesn't make it to school. I still like Hatcher too. He needs to get a bunch of live AB's this summer and he needs to add some good weight and strength. Also, if Gunner could win the SS position, it would open up some things in LF and DH.

vCash
    I have a hard time seeing foscue getting pushed out at 3rd. It’s possible but he’s a gifted guy w experience. He’s only getting better. But if there’s someone better, let’s go w it!

vCash
    I hope rowdy can play second, otherwise I’m worried there. Unless the juco guy can go there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I hope rowdy can play second, otherwise I’m worried there. Unless the juco guy can go there.
    2nd base is Rowdy's natural position. I just don't see Gunner as a 2nd basemen.

vCash

Westburg at first is an interesting idea. We'll know a lot more about how things look July 6.

C- I think Jones has a really good chance to start. It depends on how much Skelton and Gilbert improve. I think Childers is more of a 1B/DH.PH type of guy.

1B- I could see Ginn starting here possibly. Hatcher and Allen are possibilities as well. Maybe even someone like MacNamee. I like the idea of Westburg here though.

2B- Depends on what Stovall does- I'm assuming he will sign for now. Rowdey or LA will probably end up here if that happens.

3B- Ginn possibly if he comes to school, possibly Halter, and of course there is Foscue and Westburg.

SS- I think it's LA although Halter is certainly a possibility and I think Westburg probably will have to end up waiting until he is a junior to take over one way or the other.

LF- I'd like to see it be Jordan Anderson but it will probably be Rowdey or Tanner Allen (I think both start somewhere). Westburg could be an option here if he can learn to play the OF.

CF- Jake Mangum with Anderson probably backing him up.

RF- Probably MacNamee. If we move him to first base which I don't think is very likely we could see Allen here. Bryce Bush could play here also if MacNamee plays first.

DH- Lots of options depending on how things shake out with Ginn, Rowdey, Allen, Westburg, Anderson, Foscue, and Bush probably being the most likely candidates to DH.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    This. Baseball will never be anything but a tertiary sport. Sorry, guys.
    Yeah, but we have a way more realistic shot of winning a natty in baseball than football. We'd need 3-4 classes in a row like this (along with winning this class as strong as we've started it) to even have a good shot to make the CFB playoff. In baseball, ginn could be the difference in winning a natty next year or not. Because of that, give me ginn.

vCash

I don't even know who Childers or Jones is, but they could be pet rocks and you'd have still won me over by not having Skelton in the lineup.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    .... But if this is choice for which guy to show up on campus I?d go Ginn. Dual guy that can help instantly.
    That is the choice, we didn't need your other input. Everyone is fully aware of the odds he comes here.
    No Signature

vCash
    Ginn and Emery are both game changers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Yeah, but we have a way more realistic shot of winning a natty in baseball than football. We'd need 3-4 classes in a row like this (along with winning this class as strong as we've started it) to even have a good shot to make the CFB playoff. In baseball, ginn could be the difference in winning a natty next year or not. Because of that, give me ginn.
    Count me in on Emery as well. Our women's basketball team probably has an even better shot than baseball, but I wouldn't take a better wbb prospect over baseball, just like I wouldn't baseball over football. I love baseball and love our team, but I am borderline insane over our football team. There's little I wouldn't give up to see us continue to improve there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    Count me in on Emery as well. Our women's basketball team probably has an even better shot than baseball, but I wouldn't take a better wbb prospect over baseball, just like I wouldn't baseball over football. I love baseball and love our team, but I am borderline insane over our football team. There's little I wouldn't give up to see us continue to improve there.
    Yeah, but we've rarely struggled to find an above average RB in football. I'm not saying I'd turn down the #2 RB in the country, but I have little doubt that without him we'd still be 90% (or more) as a good at RB with whoever we'd end up recruiting to fill that RB slot. Finding a guy 90% as good as ginn in baseball that ends up in college is pretty much impossible unless there's more guys throwing upper 90s/touching 100 than I'm aware of. And like I said, we could be 1 player away from winning the CWS next year. We aren't 1 player away from winning a title in football.

vCash
    He's an excellent ss. Great feet and great hands but I know the plan if he comes to school is to play 3B when he's not pitching to protect his arm.
    Pardon my ignorance, but how does playing him at 3B protect his arm more than playing him at SS?

For the record, I know very little about JT or where he projects to play other than what I've read on here. Just asking the question out of curiosity because it seems like playing 3B would put more strain on the arm with the longer throw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I don't even know who Childers or Jones is, but they could be pet rocks and you'd have still won me over by not having Skelton in the lineup.
    Good one, CD! Hayden Jones is a stud catcher from Indiana that's coming. The kid is going to be a good one. He's great defensively and can swing it with pop. He should overtake Skelton. Kid has a chance to be special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDawg View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but how does playing him at 3B protect his arm more than playing him at SS?

For the record, I know very little about JT or where he projects to play other than what I've read on here. Just asking the question out of curiosity because it seems like playing 3B would put more strain on the arm with the longer throw.
    3B don't handle near the chances that SS handles. On top of not handling the number of chances they're not involved in nearly as many cut off plays that require throwing and the throw from the hole at deep short is a further throw than most any a 3B has to make. So less throws equals less strain on the arm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Yeah, but we've rarely struggled to find an above average RB in football. I'm not saying I'd turn down the #2 RB in the country, but I have little doubt that without him we'd still be 90% (or more) as a good at RB with whoever we'd end up recruiting to fill that RB slot. Finding a guy 90% as good as ginn in baseball that ends up in college is pretty much impossible unless there's more guys throwing upper 90s/touching 100 than I'm aware of. And like I said, we could be 1 player away from winning the CWS next year. We aren't 1 player away from winning a title in football.
    ^^^THIS^^^ for me. Granted I just know Emery as a good prospect. If he is a Leonard Fournette or Chubb type player, then Emergy every day of the week. If he is just another really good running back, even if he's good enough to have more than a cup of coffee in the pros, I still think where we are with our baseball team and the potential hole that Ginn would fill for the next two years, and the likelihood that we will be able to replace Emery with another good rb before we really need him, give me Ginn.

vCash
    3B don't handle near the chances that SS handles. On top of not handling the number of chances they're not involved in nearly as many cut off plays that require throwing and the throw from the hole at deep short is a further throw than most any a 3B has to make. So less throws equals less strain on the arm.
    That certainly makes sense.

Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDawg View Post
    That certainly makes sense.

Thanks!
    You're welcome! I played SS and 2B and as a middle infielder you're involved in so many more plays than the corner guys. Middle infielders have more wear and tear on the legs and body as compared to corner guys too, and that's a concern with JT as well, the overall wear and tear on his body.