Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Want in a Pitching Coach

vCash

What I Want in a Pitching Coach

I think we can move on to this now....

I want someone that can develop pitchers using modern techniques. That to me means developing velocity and using analysis to get the most out of our pitchers. We did appear to get burned by Wes Johnson. But I think it's shortsighted to not go back to a similar program because he may or may not have implemented his program appropriately with us. My guess is he knew he wasn't going to be at MSU for long and rushed through the program because he arrived in November or December. He didn't have the same issues at Dallas Baptist and he hasn't had the same issues at Arkansas. We've gone away from his program the past couple of years and our command and velocity has suffered. Let's get someone with a similar background but do it right rather than just assume it will hurt all of our pitchers.

One thing that is a little bit weird about me as a baseball fan is I like sidearm/submarine pitchers. I loved Dan Quisenberry back in the day, Chad Bradford, Pat Neshek, and etc. And as far as MSU goes- Van Johnson, Saunders Ramsey, and Josh Wooten were some of my favorites but then Caleb Reed throwing over the stop AND sidearm was pretty much the ultimate for me. And then there is Chad Girodo. I'd like a coach that has at least a couple of those guys on the roster. With the roster limits and everything you can overdo it for sure, and I don't want that. But I would like someone that has a good knowledge of the gimmick styles of pitching. I think sidearm guys can be pretty valuable if they are good because they can eat innings if you have a starter that is having a bad day or if you get into extra innings they can help buy you some times if they are a good pitcher as well.

The last thing is I want someone with scouting/pro connections. That goes along with recruiting. IMO it's a little but easier to get elite pitchers into a college baseball program that elite power hitters because of the state of the game currently where there are a lot of hard throwing pitchers but not as many great hitters and as a result offense is down right now. So being able to find those guys that are signable is critical.

vCash
    There's enough data now to where realistic predictions can be made about the modern...or weighted ball training programs. And I'm talkin about the full wind up and chunk the hell out of heavier and lighter weighted balls, not the large rubber ball used for warm up and between game work where the ball isn't actually thrown full bore.

Make no mistake, these programs such as driveline have one goal, increase velocity at almost any cost. I know that sounds like I'm against it but that's not totally true. If a pitcher is going to commit to that or a similar type program they have GOT to fully commit. Doing it half ass or incompletely will not do much to increase velo and is almost certain to cause arm issues. Not sure if that's the case with us and wes Johnson but it's true based on what I've seen. If a kid does the whole program...throwing, weighted ball training, and weight lifting program it can do what it claims. But as soon as you stop the training you lose the results. I've seen it first hand and heard some pro and college guys discuss the same things.

So all of that to say this...I want a guy that teaches control and maximizing whatever the guys do well. Also a focus on the mental side, which is somethin I do think wes was really good at. If a guy doesn't have 90+ in the tank and we try to get 90+ it's an issue waiting to happen.

vCash
    Totally agree, I think talent and stability at the PC position is supremely critical for MSU's ambitions. Just for 2019, a great PC is needed to work on raw material like:

(1) Graham Ashcraft
    (2) Denver McQuary
    (3) Kale Breaux
    (4) Riley Self - to learn another pitch or two
    (5) To transition Keegan James into an SEC starter
    (6) To continue Cole Gordon's arc of development

Would be great to have an Allan Dunn type-of-coach in Starkville as PC.

vCash
    I want pitchers that don't throw 20-30 pitches every inning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    I want pitchers that don't throw 20-30 pitches every inning.
    Amen.

We need to have more of an attacking approach instead of nit-picking around the zone. A lot of was we had guys who just couldn't throw strikes.

Add a little velocity, pound the zone, and work on mental toughness - that's what I want the next pitching coach to emphasize

vCash
    More velocity and high strikeout to walk rate

vCash
    These are great thoughts in this thread, but only one person has mentioned an actual coach (and Dunn isn't coming obviously), so let's list out some of the guys that meet these criteria and are attainable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

I want someone that can develop pitchers using modern techniques. That to me means developing velocity and using analysis to get the most out of our pitchers.
    The technology aspect is critical. Todd, do we use it at all now?

If you haven't seen it in use you can't fully grasp what it can do.

I bought a Trakman for my home golf practice. The data it gives is amazing. If only I had it when I was younger......oh well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    These are great thoughts in this thread, but only one person has mentioned an actual coach (and Dunn isn't coming obviously), so let's list out some of the guys that meet these criteria and are attainable.
    Here's my guy...

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthrea...itching-coach)

Jay Sirianni of Sam Houston state is another guy I would interview

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticl...CLID=209605710

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Here's my guy...

Sirianni is a stud. Great dude. Would be a HR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

I want someone that can develop pitchers using modern techniques. That to me means developing velocity and using analysis to get the most out of our pitchers. We did appear to get burned by Wes Johnson. But I think it's shortsighted to not go back to a similar program because he may or may not have implemented his program appropriately with us. My guess is he knew he wasn't going to be at MSU for long and rushed through the program because he arrived in November or December. He didn't have the same issues at Dallas Baptist and he hasn't had the same issues at Arkansas. We've gone away from his program the past couple of years and our command and velocity has suffered. Let's get someone with a similar background but do it right rather than just assume it will hurt all of our pitchers.

One thing that is a little bit weird about me as a baseball fan is I like sidearm/submarine pitchers. I loved Dan Quisenberry back in the day, Chad Bradford, Pat Neshek, and etc. And as far as MSU goes- Van Johnson, Saunders Ramsey, and Josh Wooten were some of my favorites but then Caleb Reed throwing over the stop AND sidearm was pretty much the ultimate for me. And then there is Chad Girodo. I'd like a coach that has at least a couple of those guys on the roster. With the roster limits and everything you can overdo it for sure, and I don't want that. But I would like someone that has a good knowledge of the gimmick styles of pitching. I think sidearm guys can be pretty valuable if they are good because they can eat innings if you have a starter that is having a bad day or if you get into extra innings they can help buy you some times if they are a good pitcher as well.

The last thing is I want someone with scouting/pro connections. That goes along with recruiting. IMO it's a little but easier to get elite pitchers into a college baseball program that elite power hitters because of the state of the game currently where there are a lot of hard throwing pitchers but not as many great hitters and as a result offense is down right now. So being able to find those guys that are signable is critical.
    Yup

You all thought I was nuts when I told you Wes was legit.

I'm not always right, but you should at least know that I have real, legit reasons for my opinions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    This is a good article about it.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/e...data-approach/

Iowa's pitching coach: https://hawkeyesports.com/coaches.as...&path=baseball

Their team ERA was 4.07 499/223 K/BB rate. Allowed teams to a .251 AVG.

Mizzou pitching coach: https://mutigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1087&path=baseball

Corral is a SEC veteran and has also been at Memphis. A lot more proven than Iowa's coach.

Team ERA 3.57 531/187 K/BB ratio .247 Team batting average

Dallas Baptist Pitching Coach: https://dbupatriots.com/coaches.aspx...&path=baseball

McCarty used to be at Delta State when they won the National Title and was at La Tech under Greg Goff.

ERA: 4.53 556/223 K/BB ratio .258 AVG

Evidence of Dallas Baptist using Trackman after Wes Johnson left from another article.

https://d1baseball.com/premium/hall-...clinching-win/

These are just programs mentioned in the article.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 06-26-2018 at 12:18 AM.

vCash
    I agree with getting a few sidearm guys as well. Guys with a lot of movement or different arm angles can be extremely dangerous in college without plus velocity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Here's my guy...

I like these options also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yup

You all thought I was nuts when I told you Wes was legit.

I'm not always right, but you should at least know that I have real, legit reasons for my opinions.
    Who would you hire or interview?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    The technology aspect is critical. Todd, do we use it at all now?

If you haven't seen it in use you can't fully grasp what it can do.

I bought a Trakman for my home golf practice. The data it gives is amazing. If only I had it when I was younger......oh well.
    I'm not sure to be honest. It seemed like our entire program soured on anything Wes Johnson related after he left.

vCash
    We have committed recruits that have velocity coming in the next few years. One day I can reveal why I know this. Also the recruits we have committed for 2019 and 2020 snap chat a bunch. If this hold true we are gonna be loaded with top ten talent for years to come.
    Lastly, all pending of course.

vCash
    I would like for us to develop pitchers that don’t make me want to break things in my house when we pitch. I’m kidding, but we do need to stabilize the pitching. It was such a wild card. Great one day, total meltdown the next game. The more I’ve had time to look back on things, our hitting got us to Omaha.

vCash
    What about Christian Ostrander from USM? http://www.southernmiss.com/sports/m...r_1057737.html

37th in ERA, 18th in WHIP and 2nd in K/BB ratio

Also, Will Dorton at College of Charleston? https://cofcsports.com/coaches.aspx?...&path=baseball

4th in ERA, 1st in K/BB and 2nd in WHIP

vCash
    I thought this was already done? Kyle Bunn from Indiana is coming with Lemonis?