Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello Elitedawgs- lets talk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Exactly.

I can't see Henderson taking that deal in the first place. If Cohen thought that Gautreau was THE guy for 2020- you hire him for 2019 as well Waiting one more year with what amounts to an unstable situation from the standpoint that there would be more change not to mention what "could" happen in 2019 it just doesn't make any sense. Gautreau is not going to magically learn anymore between now and 2020 and it's not like Henderson is some coaching master that has been here for years like Polk or even Cohen.

And with the team there is a good chance that it would be awkward because they know Henderson would only be around for one more year so why listen to a guy that you know isn't going to be around beyond next year? That would be incredibly unfair to guys like Mangum and Small who are coming back and have already had to deal with weirdness their entire career basically at MSU. It's one thing to band around and rally around a coach after a firing takes place in February but having to do so for another entire year is even more risky from a chemistry standpoint. And how hard would it be to hire a pitching coach- try explaining to candidates that "well, Gary will only be here for one more year but then it's going to be our hitting coach"- they would think that we are a complete cluster.

What it would look like is Cohen would be trying to avoid media backlash while at the same time trying to please the fans- and would probably end up creating media backlash and making fans angry in the process. Because if we have another year like this one- and we absolutely could- the media would be like "Well, you know Gary Henderson has taken them to Omaha twice now but they aren't going to bring him back. That kind of makes you wonder". And then with the fans it would be MSU Twitter for the past week for about a year. THAT could create a divide in the fan base. And I'm sure we would be raked across the coals in recruiting.

I honestly can't think of anything positive that going to that situation would create. We need stability whether that is Lemonis and Gautreau. And I do think Lemonis will give us that. Gautreau will probably leave one day for a head coaching opportunity because that's what happens in this industry. See Butch, Lane, Mingione, heck....Raffo. The key is replacing them. And at least whenever Gautreau does leave at least we hired a coach that put up good numbers at his last stop.
    Not to mention that it would make the program look more unstable than it already does.

Gautreau is great, and I even thought it might be better to keep Hendo just to keep Gautreau. But the fact is that he will probably leave at some point like many assistants do. We got him as an assistant who isn’t ready to be a head coach when we needed one. The stars just didn’t align. He’s with us right now though, and he obviously loves Starkville and the players. We have no idea what the future holds, so better to just enjoy it now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I would have made Henderson HC for 2019 and GoTro the HC in waiting for 2020. As someone that had a great relationship with Hendo as Cohen did- I would pull him in and tell him that we want GoTro as the future. I would tell him he could be CEO 1 year and then we would move him into a solid management position in 2020. Then GoTro assumes reigns for 2020 and is our guy for the next 15 years

I'm not saying Cohen is wrong here- but picking this guy over GoTro???? He better be right
    Boy, some BIG assumptions in that strategy. First, you ASSUME that Henderson would be interested in essentially being an "interim" HC for another year and then be willing to move into a non-coaching position the year after. Unlike Cohen, there is no indication that Henderson is interested in some "management" position that we would come up with. All of that is likely a non-starter for GH to accept in the first place. Second, you ASSUME JG is THE guy going forward for us although he has never been a HC and has only been an assistant in our program for one year. Probably has less of an overall track record than Canny did although he did have a few years coaching at Tulane as an assistant as well. Lemonis has 4 successful years as a HC at essentially a basketball school and 7 years as an assistant for Louisville when they averaged 44 wins over that span. I'm certainly not blown away by our hire but, by the same token, would probably be even less excited by your plan going forward. Yes, JG sounds great on an interview and is liked by the players, but there is zero proof at this time that he would be ready to be successful as a HC at a big time baseball school. Heck, let's at least see how our players improve as hitters from this year to next year before anointing JG as the greatest hitting coach around.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 06-25-2018 at 10:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    Not to mention that it would make the program look more unstable than it already does.

Gautreau is great, and I even thought it might be better to keep Hendo just to keep Gautreau. But the fact is that he will probably leave at some point like many assistants do. We got him as an assistant who isn’t ready to be a head coach when we needed one. The stars just didn’t align. He’s with us right now though, and he obviously loves Starkville and the players. We have no idea what the future holds, so better to just enjoy it now.
    I agree. And honestly, if Cohen had just promoted Gautreau to head coach today I would have been fine with it. But I think Cohen went with Lemonis because he has head coaching experience and a fairly similar background as Gautreau in terms of success. I think having head coaching experience was very important to Cohen after Cann's immaturity run and I totally get that.

vCash
    because Randolph is an illiterate redneck that heard a rumor from his cousin's wife's uncle's dad and thought he would be slick and try to get at my online. But the only thing Randolph did was show he literally has zero clue about me. Hobby Lobby Randolph!!!
    Easy bud. You said "...push another button..."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Boy, some BIG assumptions in that strategy. First, you ASSUME that Henderson would be interested in essentially being an "interim" HC for another year and then be willing to move into a non-coaching position the year after. Unlike Cohen, there is no indication that Henderson is interested in some "management" position that we would come up with. All of that is likely a non-starter for GH to accept in the first place. Second, you ASSUME JG is THE guy going forward for us although he has never been a HC and has only been an assistant in our program for one year. Probably has less of an overall track record than Canny did although he did have a few years coaching at Tulane as an assistant as well. Lemonis has 4 successful years as a HC at essentially a basketball school and 7 years as an assistant for Louisville when they averaged 44 wins over that span. I'm certainly not blown away by our hire but, by the same token, would probably be even less excited by your plan going forward. Yes, JG sounds great on an interview and is liked by the players, but there is zero proof at this time that he would be ready to be successful as a HC at a big time baseball school.
    Based on Henderson's comments during the SR and the CWS about wanting the job I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do it.

vCash
    Boy, some BIG assumptions in that strategy. First, you ASSUME that Henderson would be interested in essentially being an "interim" HC for another year and then be willing to move into a non-coaching position the year after. Unlike Cohen, there is no indication that Henderson is interested in some "management" position that we would come up with. All of that is likely a non-starter for GH to accept in the first place. Second, you ASSUME JG is THE guy going forward for us although he has never been a HC and has only been an assistant in our program for one year. Probably has less of an overall track record than Canny did although he did have a few years coaching at Tulane as an assistant as well. Lemonis has 4 successful years as a HC at essentially a basketball school and 7 years as an assistant for Louisville when they averaged 44 wins over that span. I'm certainly not blown away by our hire but, by the same token, would probably be even less excited by your plan going forward. Yes, JG sounds great on an interview and is like by the players, but there is zero proof at this time that he would be ready to be successful as a HC at a big time baseball school.
    A) Henderson has no other choice. Nobody would pay him 700K for one year as CEO of our program as we would have. He would have taken whatever we offered him

B) GoTro is the guy. We screwed up picking this Indiana dude over him- mark my words

C) Lemonis took over for a guy that had won the Big Ten 2 straight years. And Lemonis finished 6th, 3rd, 6th, and 5th. He was not as successful as his predecessor. Not sure why anybody would be excited about a guy that did worse than the guy he took over for.

State is loaded for 2019 and just needs to plug in some pitching- so our new hire shouldnt be able to **** this Spring up. This hire will be judged on 2020 and beyond. #HailState
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post
    Easy bud. You said "...push another button..."
    well damn man- you whiffed completely. Get the circumstances and the school correctly- you missed on both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Yep. Someone's gonna get a great HC.
    Based on what? Love JG but how can anyone say for sure he would be a great HC?

vCash
    NM

vCash

B) GoTro is the guy. We screwed up picking this Indiana dude over him- mark my words
    Glad you and others KNOW this but I don't know what it's based on. I do know that JG was in charge of our offense and that in the CWS if you take away the UNC game where we broke it open late, we scored 5 runs in 3 games combined. The offense is what sent us home from Omaha, not the pitching.

vCash
    Glad you and others KNOW this but I don't know what it's based on. I do know that JG was in charge of our offense and that in the CWS if you take away the UNC game where we broke it open late, we scored 5 runs in 3 games combined. The offense is what sent us home from Omaha, not the pitching.
    when we started 4 true freshmen in the line-up. It's a tribute to Jake we made it as far as we did. Look at Fla, UPig, and Oregon State- all of them are veteran line-ups. Thats what it takes to win a title. We got to the Final Four starting 4 true freshmen. Thats insane

vCash
    well damn man- you whiffed completely. Get the circumstances and the school correctly- you missed on both.
    You are a 17ing idiot and I have proven this in the past. You just need to go away since you know jack shit about this subject. This site is better off without your bullshit.

vCash
    So many touchy people
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabaka View Post
    You are a 17ing idiot and I have proven this in the past. You just need to go away since you know jack shit about this subject. This site is better off without your bullshit.
    All you proved over the years is that you are a moron. Bring back the spider as your avatar and post about weird shit that nobody understands as you did years ago. #hailstate

vCash
    A) Henderson has no other choice. Nobody would pay him 700K for one year as CEO of our program as we would have. He would have taken whatever we offered him

C) Lemonis took over for a guy that had won the Big Ten 2 straight years. And Lemonis finished 6th, 3rd, 6th, and 5th. He was not as successful as his predecessor. Not sure why anybody would be excited about a guy that did worse than the guy he took over for.

State is loaded for 2019 and just needs to plug in some pitching- so our new hire shouldnt be able to **** this Spring up. This hire will be judged on 2020 and beyond. #HailState
    Why would we pay him 700K for one year? That seems a little high to me. Especially if he would have taken whatever we would have offered him as you asserted. I bet we paid him around 400-500K this year. And I could definitely see Henderson getting 100-150K from a school like a Pepperdine that would let him stay around for a few years.

vCash
    All you proved over the years is that you are a moron. Bring back the spider as your avatar and post about weird shit that nobody understands as you did years ago. #hailstate
    Legitimate question. What are our chances with Ginn?
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Okay...I?ve never had a spider as my avatar. Once again this proves you are a 17ing dubmass and need to shut the 17 up.

vCash
    Are the people that speculate our assistant coaches are better than the head coach the same ones that always want to play the second team QB?

vCash
    17 this.
    The burning question is.. how much money have you made from the coffee scheme?

vCash
    I. He has shown that he is a great hitting coach.
    Just look at the progression our hitters have made this year. We had 6 hitters bat above .300 in conference play this year.
    3 of those were Freshman, 3 (Mac, Mangum, Stovall) were not. Let's compare their past 2 years in conference.

Stovall-
    2017: .286 avg, .365 slg, .318 obp
    2018: .315 avg, .468 slg, .353 obp

Mangum- can't really compare because he had a broken hand last year.
    2017: .298 avg, .374 slg, .345 obp
    2018: .346 avg, .488 slg, .429 obp

Mac-
    2017: .292 avg, .416 slg, .323 obp
    2018: .345 avg, .548 slg, .411 obp

II. He is an elite recruiter. He has scout connections- he previously worked as an agent for Boras Corporation. He is the recruiting coordinator here, and he was also the recruiting coordinator at Tulane.