Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If You Believe in Meritocracies, Hendo Probably Needs to be Named Head Coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I've been pretty adamant that Henderson should not be the head coach. I don't believe in his recruiting or player development, and I think what he's mostly done is expertly manage a crappy situation. I don't believe he's the long term answer.

However, more than my baseball beliefs, I am an absolute believer in meritocracies and the world should reward people that earn it. At some point, whether you think they are talented or not, people earn jobs and deserve the carrot.

Additionally, at some point what people have earned becomes so clear that by not hiring them, you are sending a terrible message to the industry about how you operate.

I have no clue how successful Gary would be as our permanent head coach and I am skeptical, but we are either at or close to point that even the skeptic in me agrees that he's probably earned the position.

In some ways Gary is MSU. Hard working, genuine, and an underdog. The guy represents the blue collar meritocracy that our school and State are built upon.

Perhaps we should embrace that. Matt Luke won the Egg Bowl. Henderson has us on the cusp of a natty.
    Welcome to the club. This sums up my thoughts exactly, I just got to the point you're at now when we made the CWS. If we would have gone 0-2 I probably could have reversed course...but I don't know what to think now.

vCash
    We have a chance to lock up a guy who is 3 wins away from a national championship..... How do you not hire him? I absolutely understand the negatives of his age and questionable calls. But you hire the guy, get a good deal with him, and spend the money on top notch assistants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by craigmid View Post
    Hire Henderson as head coach, but also hire a big up and comer as associate head.
    You notice how everybody who wants Hindu tags it with having to hire a big up and comer or JG? I'm not being a jerk on purpose, just wondering why that is. Not even saying it's the wrong move, but I think it's telling that nobody trusts him enough to hand him the keys to the program with full reign, yet still want him as head coach.
    Last edited by confucius say; 06-19-2018 at 04:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    You notice how everybody who wants Hindu tags it with having to hire a big up and comer or JG? I'm not being a jerk on purpose, just wondering why that is. Not even saying it's the wrong move, but I think it's telling that nobody trusts him enough to hand him the keys to the program with full reign, yet still want him as head coach.
    For me, it's I want a young pitching coach bc we have a veteran coach. I wanted same when Cohen was looking for pitching cosch when he hired Wes Johnson. I wanted the opposite with a young coach like cann; I realize Henderson was already hired.

vCash
    I was about to say that same thing. It seems like most of our fans that say that we should hire Henderson have that opinion because they feel like MSU "has to" for whatever reason. And it's mostly people that say we should do that "if we win a National Title." So basically, if Henderson doesn't win the National Title this year most fans want him gone.

Personally, I think it would be better from perception standpoint to not hire Henderson now since he has the interim tag than to have to actually fire him a few years down the road when he is actually the head coach.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And it's mostly people that say we should do that "if we win a National Title." So basically, if Henderson doesn't win the National Title this year most fans want him gone.
    That's because the national title winning program carries some connotations with it

Namely, being the NATIONAL CHAMPION

who gives a shit who our coach is if we have the title, the title is all that matters, go be a Flarrda State fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    For me, it's I want a young pitching coach bc we have a veteran coach. I wanted same when Cohen was looking for pitching cosch when he hired Wes Johnson. I wanted the opposite with a young coach like cann; I realize Henderson was already hired.
    The thing about that is how much autonomy would he give the pitching coach? I don't know the answer to that. I do know that when Henderson was at Kentucky his staff was two offensive coaches- Rick Eckstein and Toby Bicknell- and Henderson was both the head coach and pitching coach there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    That's because the national title winning program carries some connotations with it

Namely, being the NATIONAL CHAMPION

who gives a shit who our coach is if we have the title, the title is all that matters, go be a Flarrda State fan
    Why don't you become a Fresno State fan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Batesole

Winning National Championships are the goal obviously. But I don't want to be Fresno State where we had that "one magical year" and not use that National Championship to springboard ourselves into being an elite top 10 program that becomes more like LSU in the 1990's or South Carolina earlier in the century. I don't want just one. I want multiple. The goal for us after we win the first one is to then win the next one. And making a questionable hire because we wanted to win a press conference in front of people that don't have our best interests in their heart is not a wise decision.

The last time we made an "unpopular" but right hire in baseball was when we hired Cohen. It turned out to be what we needed at that time. Even though it would have been way easier to hire Raffo.

Banned
    vCash
    Winning National Championships are the goal obviously. But I don't want to be Fresno State where we had that "one magical year" and not use that National Championship to springboard ourselves into being an elite top 10 program that becomes more like LSU in the 1990's or South Carolina earlier in the century. I don't want just one. I want multiple. The goal for us after we win the first one is to then win the next one. And making a questionable hire because we wanted to win a press conference in front of people that don't have our best interests in their heart is not a wise decision.
    There are a lot of MSU fans who went to their graves without seeing a national title. I'll take the one all day, and worry about the future later

The last time we made an "unpopular" but right hire in baseball was when we hired Cohen. It turned out to be what we needed at that time. Even though it would have been way easier to hire Raffo.
    Semi-decent comparison, but not really. First, we're talking about a Polk's recommendation, not Polk himself. Secondly, he was coming off a 23-33 year. If Polk had retired after 2007 CWS it'd be a lot closer comparison, but even still, we're talking about a program STARVED for a national title, and at this point Henderson has gone just as far as Polk with a lot less talent

You're getting greedy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by craigmid View Post
    Hire Henderson as head coach, but also hire a big up and comer as associate head.
    He's already in the dugout.

vCash
    These guys are killing themselves for Henderson. He deserves a shot. I don't think they are winning in spite of him like was once thought by many. They're winning for not only themselves, but for him, too.

vCash
    I respect what he has done the last several weeks sending guys back out to pitch after a couple of rough outings. I think he let several pitchers know he trusted them and it was time they believed in themselves. Because of that and helping hold this team steady I admire and will never forget the job he has done.
    But for me to want him as a coach of the future I need to know he is hired because their is no one better that deserves and wants this job. This coaching search shouldn’t be decided by this run. Henderson deserves to sit down after the season and give his thoughts on his future plans, goals and how he hopes to achieve them but we also don’t need to make a hire based on this run. Ala Steve Fisher at Michigan in basketball years ago. He’s earned the right to campaign for the job but one season doesn’t guarantee a career.
    I absolutely love what has happened and don’t hate him like some do but that still shouldn’t decide our programs future.

vCash
    I disagree. For me I think Hendo has done a great job at leading the team. He's done a real good job of being the pitching coach...this year and last. I personally think his calm veteran demeanor and ability to lead is more important than him as a pitching coach. I think we can go get a guy to run the pitching and Hendo can just be the manager.

My feelings have nothing to do with NOT trusting him at any one particular aspect of the job. I mean auburn has a pitching coach, TCU has a pitching coach, Sabah has a D-coordinator...the point is that just because a guy has a background in something doesn't mean they can't delegate.

And on that note....another thing the haters are glossing over is how Hendo allowed gotro to do his thing. He realized that choice was better for the team so he stepped aside and let that happen. That takes guts and shows that he's in it for the good of the program. The players see that and the difference it makes in their eyes cannot be overstated.

vCash
    And I have been considered a Henderson man! I have nothing but love and admiration for what he’s done but we need the right man and I trust Cohen to find that man

vCash
    With this run our coaching job has become an even bigger job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    There are a lot of MSU fans who went to their graves without seeing a national title. I'll take the one all day, and worry about the future later

Semi-decent comparison, but not really. First, we're talking about a Polk's recommendation, not Polk himself. Secondly, he was coming off a 23-33 year. If Polk had retired after 2007 CWS it'd be a lot closer comparison, but even still, we're talking about a program STARVED for a national title, and at this point Henderson has gone just as far as Polk with a lot less talent

You're getting greedy
    I may be greedy but you are being short sighted. It doesn't matter who wins the first National Championship and if it's the only time in our lives if we win one we still need to do what gives us the best chance to win multiple National Titles over the long run.

If you make hires because they are "nice" or because it's what the Clarion-Ledger likes- that's how the Polk II era happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcap View Post
    With this run our coaching job has become an even bigger job.
    This is true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    I disagree. For me I think Hendo has done a great job at leading the team. He's done a real good job of being the pitching coach...this year and last. I personally think his calm veteran demeanor and ability to lead is more important than him as a pitching coach. I think we can go get a guy to run the pitching and Hendo can just be the manager.

My feelings have nothing to do with NOT trusting him at any one particular aspect of the job. I mean auburn has a pitching coach, TCU has a pitching coach, Sabah has a D-coordinator...the point is that just because a guy has a background in something doesn't mean they can't delegate.

And on that note....another thing the haters are glossing over is how Hendo allowed gotro to do his thing. He realized that choice was better for the team so he stepped aside and let that happen. That takes guts and shows that he's in it for the good of the program. The players see that and the difference it makes in their eyes cannot be overstated.
    Not me. I've said several times before we should make Gautreau the coach if we can't find a big name.

vCash
    no Way we make this run with a hire in place at the beginning of regionals. That’s why I love Cohen and his cares about the program. I think the big boys still want this job but Henderson can stake his claim. I think there are a couple coaches that will elevate there coaching and salesmanship to get this job. If Henderson wants the job he’s gonna have to sell his vision and it better be great cause we will have a couple coaches that will fight for this job.

vCash
    I said before I don’t think Cohen makes a Steve Fisher hire like Michigan did years ago in basketball. He knows what we have. Either Henderson sells it or some great coach will take it as it should be