Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgrabbing

vCash

Handgrabbing

Any of yall on here man enough to be handgrabbers? Or am I the only badass on the board

vCash
    did some 30 years ago on the Yalobusha North of Greenwood.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    did some 30 years ago on the Yalobusha North of Greenwood.
    I've never fished rivers much. Im a Ross Barnett guy

vCash
    I grab at Ross also.

Banned
    vCash
    You hand grabbers are bad assed SOB'S. I wouldn't have the guts. And I've raised boa constrictors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Treemydawg View Post
    I grab at Ross also.
    Nice. Doing any good so far? Any flatheads?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    You hand grabbers are bad assed SOB'S. I wouldn't have the guts. And I've raised boa constrictors.
    Its really not that bad man. You should try it

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Its really not that bad man. You should try it
    I've watched on t.v. Even some rookie girls from NY gave it a go. One of my phobias though is walking around in lakes and rivers. Ever since I saw an alligator snapping turtle snap off the end of a broom handle, I can't hang with my feet on a muddy bottom. I have to be in clear water where I can see. I have no problem with a snorkle and mask swimming off Destin where it drops off. Sting Rays and shit swimming down below, make shift spear / knife in case a shark comes along and decides to get too frisky. But I ain't 17ing around in brown water where snappers reside.

vCash
    I've watched on t.v. Even some rookie girls from NY gave it a go. One of my phobias though is walking around in lakes and rivers. Ever since I saw an alligator snapping turtle snap off the end of a broom handle, I can't hang with my feet on a muddy bottom. I have to be in clear water where I can see. I have no problem with a snorkle and mask swimming off Destin where it drops off. Sting Rays and shit swimming down below, make shift spear / knife in case a shark comes along and decides to get too frisky. But I ain't 17ing around in brown water where snappers reside.
    I've gotten pretty damn close to some gators on the Rez and they've never given me any trouble. Knock on wood

Banned
    vCash
    I've gotten pretty damn close to some gators on the Rez and they've never given me any trouble. Knock on wood
    The problem with gators is when people start feeding them. Once they start associating people with food, it can be your ass.

vCash
    I saw a dude on the rez today with his fishing boat loaded down with several sections of 6 in PCV pipe.

vCash
    Nice. Doing any good so far? Any flatheads?
    Man I haven't had a chance to go yet. Got married week before last, was on the honeymoon last week. We got home and closed on a new house the end of the week and we are moving the next two weeks. Between all of that my son has high school rodeo finals next week so I won't see the water until towards the end of the season, and we hardly ever catch any flats worth speaking of until the last few weeks of season.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    If hand fishing is the measure of my badassedry, then I'm about as much of a bad ass than my 4-year-old daughter. I'm with 13 -- I'm not getting down in the murky water with the snappers no matter what.

But oddly enough, I do own a solid documentary on the subject. Came out back in 2001. Called Okie Noodling. It popped up on my radar at the time because the Flaming Lips did the soundtrack. (They're from Oklahoma, where the film was shot.)

You can watch it streaming on Fandor for free via a free trial:

https://www.fandor.com/films/okie_noodling

It was my first exposure to the phenomenon. Interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 05-29-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    Not to mention Cottonmouths as well. I remember back in the 70's a guy died in Grenada Lake from skiing. He let go of the ropes and headed for the bank. dropped down in a pool of baby moccasins. they bit him to death.

Here's an ER video of noodling gone bad with an alligator snapping turtle. This one is tame compared to the one who lost his 17ing hand to a snapper while noodling. I didn't even want to watch that shit. This video is actually quite funny and has a good ending. Because of my knowledge of reptiles (owned a baby caiman as a kid, owned lots of snakes and turtles) I've always been fascinated by reptiles and have read a lot and watch lot's of nature shows on t.v. But I do know that all they would have had to do is squirt alcohol down the reptiles throat and he would immediately release the bite. I once saw these guys on t.v. who were handling a huge anaconda and one of the guys made a mistake and the snake got a grip on the dudes hand and was in no mood to release. dude was bleeding badly. due to the way a constrictors teeth work (they have no fangs), they curve inward making it impossible for anything to get away without further damage. so his two buddies are frantically trying to pry the snakes mouth from the dude and in doing so, caused further damage to dude's hand. There was a big crowd gathered and I'm sure someone had some adult beverage around that would have made the scene end much better.

at any rate, this is a pretty short video that ends well and is funny as shit. In fact, it may be too funny to actually be true. But the point is well taken. Don't noodle.

Last edited by Bully13; 05-29-2018 at 10:54 AM.

vCash
    Not to mention Cottonmouths as well. I remember back in the 70's a guy died in Grenada Lake from skiing. He let go of the ropes and headed for the bank. dropped down in a pool of baby moccasins. they bit him to death.

Here's an ER video of noodling gone bad with an alligator snapping turtle. This one is tame compared to the one who lost his 17ing hand to a snapper while noodling. I didn't even want to watch that shit. This video is actually quite funny and has a good ending. Because of my knowledge of reptiles (owned a baby caiman as a kid, owned lots of snakes and turtles) I've always been fascinated by reptiles and have read a lot and watch lot's of nature shows on t.v. But I do know that all they would have had to do is squirt alcohol down the reptiles throat and he would immediately release the bite. I once saw these guys on t.v. who were handling a huge anaconda and one of the guys made a mistake and the snake got a grip on the dudes hand and was in no mood to release. dude was bleeding badly. due to the way a constrictors teeth work (they have no fangs), they curve inward making it impossible for anything to get away without further damage. so his two buddies are frantically trying to pry the snakes mouth from the dude and in doing so, caused further damage to dude's hand. There was a big crowd gathered and I'm sure someone had some adult beverage around that would have made the scene end much better.

at any rate, this is a pretty short video that ends well and is funny as shit. In fact, it may be too funny to actually be true. But the point is well taken. Don't noodle.

So you really think a snapping turtle is gonna swim up to you (in a group of people) and bite you for no reason? I could see someone who fishes natural stuff (God made) getting bit because there can be air bubbles and a turtle/snake could be in there but I only fish barrels, pipes, water heaters, boxes me and my crew put out there.

Banned
    vCash
    So you really think a snapping turtle is gonna swim up to you (in a group of people) and bite you for no reason? I could see someone who fishes natural stuff (God made) getting bit because there can be air bubbles and a turtle/snake could be in there but I only fish barrels, pipes, water heaters, boxes me and my crew put out there.
    I'll take my experience and my eyes for now. Hope you don't mind and I hope it all works out for you. I hope to tag a Grouper one day off the coast of Destin. I will gig him with my spear and come to the shore with Earnest Hemmingway balls a' swaying and swinging;

Course you'd not know anything about dat cuz you a puddy.

vCash
    I'll take my experience and my eyes for now. Hope you don't mind and I hope it all works out for you. I hope to tag a Grouper one day off the coast of Destin. I will gig him with my spear and come to the shore with Earnest Hemmingway balls a' swaying and swinging;

Course you'd not know anything about dat cuz you a puddy.
    If I could do that I most def would.

And dont worry man you didnt hurt my feelings at all. I understand. Its not for everyone

Banned
    vCash
    If I could do that I most def would.

And dont worry man you didnt hurt my feelings at all. I understand. Its not for everyone
    And you are no puddy. I had a few last night. sorry 'bout dat Bucky. But you need to google snappers and noodling. it's fo real dude. I understand what you are saying in that a snapper is not going to hunt you down as they are ambush predators. they just hang out and wait with that artificial lure in their mouth waiting on fish. But if one is hanging out where your hand is, he's gonna have a go at you. and if you step on him , he might take a chunk of foot.

vCash
    And you are no puddy. I had a few last night. sorry 'bout dat Bucky. But you need to google snappers and noodling. it's fo real dude. I understand what you are saying in that a snapper is not going to hunt you down as they are ambush predators. they just hang out and wait with that artificial lure in their mouth waiting on fish. But if one is hanging out where your hand is, he's gonna have a go at you. and if you step on him , he might take a chunk of foot.
    We used to catch big loggerheads at eagle lake and I saw one snap a broom stick in half with ease.

The craziest thing I have heard about handgrabbing was a guy fishing a bank and ran his hand in checking for a fish and a beaver bit him

vCash
    That story is as old as the "man eating" catfish that live at the bottom of every man made dam in the country.