Thread: HD.....

vCash
    Last edited by dawgoneyall; 05-15-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    As one of my friends says, standard definition tv must feel like what people in the great depression felt.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    SD is the new black and white. Difference is when they invented color, they didn?t keep broadcasting B&W.

SD is a massive waste of bandwidth. It had been illegal to sell SD TV sets for like 20 years now. And when that law was made, the Feds literally gave away HD-to-SD converters to anyone that wanted one.

Enough with the damn SD broadcasting. It?s wasting bandwidth. It is also cluttering up my program guide and occasionally having my DVR record this dead format.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    SD is the new black and white. Difference is when they invented color, they didn?t keep broadcasting B&W.

SD is a massive waste of bandwidth. It had been illegal to sell SD TV sets for like 20 years now. And when that law was made, the Feds literally gave away HD-to-SD converters to anyone that wanted one.

Enough with the damn SD broadcasting. It?s wasting bandwidth. It is also cluttering up my program guide and occasionally having my DVR record this dead format.
    What kind of broadcasting are you subscribing too that is still offering both options?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    What kind of broadcasting are you subscribing too that is still offering both options?
    Dish Network

At times the signal is not good enough to get the HD channel mostly during storms), it automatically switches to the SD channel. It's not completely dead yet.

You can set the programming guide to hide the SD channels though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Dish Network

At times the signal is not good enough to get the HD channel mostly during storms), it automatically switches to the SD channel. It's not completely dead yet.

You can set the programming guide to hide the SD channels though.
    When you put it that way, that's actually a good idea. I have Directv. When I had SD and HD in different rooms, I noticed during storms I would lose HD way easier than the SD. Makes me wish Directv utilized SD in this way now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    When you put it that way, that's actually a good idea. I have Directv. When I had SD and HD in different rooms, I noticed during storms I would lose HD way easier than the SD. Makes me wish Directv utilized SD in this way now.
    They do, menu-settings-display-preferences- hideSD/HD/show both .... takes about 30 seconds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MabenMaroon View Post
    They do, menu-settings-display-preferences- hideSD/HD/show both .... takes about 30 seconds
    It only takes 30 seconds if you already know how to do it. It can take you a little longer if you have to figure it out, but if an old man like me can do it...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post

You're mis-remembering a bit. When color first came around, it was only on some network programs (I think Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color was the first), and up until around 1970 even though most of the network programming was color by that time, a lot if not most local programming was still B&W. Full-time color didn't come around until quite a bit later. So, "when they invented color, they didn't keep broadcasting B&W" took several years.

Also it seems you're confusing analog and digital broadcasts. It wasn't exactly illegal to keep selling "SD TV" sets ... they just didn't make analog ones any longer. The government actually gave away analog to digital converters to people who still had the old sets. SD, or Standard Definition, is still alive and well but it's all digital now. It's a lot better resolution than the old analog broadcasts, but it's still SD. Dish still has SD channels, DirecTV probably does, and most cable systems no doubt do. Modern HD and UltraHD sets do a really good job of up converting 480p, or SD, pictures. Probably one of these days 1080i and even 1080p will be obsolete and everything will be 4K ... until something better comes along.

People pitched a hissy fit when they first heard digital was going to be the new standard. But they wouldn't have HD and decent SD now if they'd prevailed, they wouldn't be able to pause a program, and they wouldn't be able to have all the multiple screen insets that we now have (which is not necessarily a good thing). And you wouldn't have subchannels either. Local stations now broadcast a digital signal, but in some cases the signal is hard to receive (trees, if you're in a valley, etc.) compared to the old analog signals.