Thread: Have any of you been here?

vCash

Have any of you been here?

vCash
    Never heard of it but looks like it would be worth a visit. The only real Civil War site I've ever visited is Vicksburg, and it is sobering and interesting at the same time. Great place to visit.

vCash
    No, need to add to the list for next visit to Vegas. If you ever have the opportunity to pull the lanyard and fire one of those bad boys I highly recommend doing so.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    No but I have heard about it. The resident artillery expert ranger told us about it on a hike up at Shiloh. It's by appointment only. I really would like to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    The library and Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Museum just hosted the Ulysses S. Grant Association (the owner of all materials in the Museum) this past week. A tour and lecture there was on their agenda and everyone who attended came away very impressed.

vCash
    Yes. I'm part of the group that Duffy formed and have shot every one of the guns there except for the Napoleon.

Duffy puts on a history show out there but we take the guns to the field for reenactments, living histories and live fire competitions.

This is from a live fire competition using a 10 pound Parrott rifle at Camp Grayling Michigan a few years ago. Notice the recoil which you never see in the movies.

This is a night battle at the 145th reenactment of Chickamauga with a 3" ordinance rifle.
    Last edited by Mjoelner34; 05-11-2018 at 01:54 PM.

vCash
    That looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonBelle View Post
    The library and Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Museum just hosted the Ulysses S. Grant Association (the owner of all materials in the Museum) this past week. A tour and lecture there was on their agenda and everyone who attended came away very impressed.
    That library is awesome for the university. Dr. M killing it.

vCash
    For those in the Jackson area:

On May 30, from noon until 1:00 pm, the Archives' History Is Lunch program will focus on the Starkville Civil War Arsenal, which is a private Civil War artillery museum in Starkville. The program will take place in the Craig H. Neilsen Auditorium at the Two Mississippi Museums—the Museum of Mississippi History and Mississippi Civil Rights Museum—located at 222 North Street, Jackson, MS 39201. There is no charge to attend the program.

Banned
    vCash
    I've always struggled trying to find out the history of when cannon fire started "exploding" on impact. I see these Civil War pics where there are explosions. I did find something on Youtube with this particular small cannon that was secured to the ground that had some type of timer that would explode prior to hitting the ground. It was angle based on desired distance. This was done during the Civil War.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I've always struggled trying to find out the history of when cannon fire started "exploding" on impact. I see these Civil War pics where there are explosions. I did find something on Youtube with this particular small cannon that was secured to the ground that had some type of timer that would explode prior to hitting the ground. It was angle based on desired distance. This was done during the Civil War.
    As far as impact explosions, they used a percussion cap like those on a musket to trigger the explosion. At the beginning of the civil war both sides used paper fuses (powder rolled up in paper) that would light when the cannon fired. They knew how long it was SUPPOSED to burn before exploding the shell so as part of the loading procedure, the gunner would call out a time such as '5 seconds' and a guy back at the limber would cut the paper roll to length accordingly. The old joke is, how long does a 5 second fuse last? The answer: Who knows? Later in the war, the north started using the Bormann fuse which was much more reliable and which allowed them to successfully explode shells accurately above the southern infantry while the south was generally relegated to firing solid rounds or impact rounds straight into the approaching troops and while deadly, didn't cause as many casualties.