Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did UF overpay for Lateral Move?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think you guys are nuts to think Florida will run Mullen off in 3 or 4 years. That lacks any basis.

Mullen is a really good football coach and extremely talented at building a solid foundation.

I predict a Mark Richt/ UGA type tenure for Mullen in which he sticks around for 8-10 years and never wins anything. He'll be just successful enough though to keep his job.
    I agree with this. He is a good coach (even though he?s on my shit list right now and I hate admitting that), and will have success at Florida. They are not gonna fire him if he doesn?t win the east for the first three to four years. And he will eventually win the east I believe. But if he doesn?t and at some point gets run out, he is not going to be a damn OC somewhere, there will be schools lining up to hire him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    Im confused, what year was the third victory over LSU?
    In an article that is full of grammatical errors and typo's, the author also states that we held the #1 for one week when actually it was 5 weeks. I hope this guy has a second career.
    Last edited by msbulldog; 05-11-2018 at 07:03 AM.

vCash

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    In an article that is full of grammatical errors and typo's, the author also states that we held the #1 for one week when actually was 5 weeks. I hope this guy has a second career.
    I saw the same thing. You know he had to look if he was looking at everyone we beat. So it had to be intentional.

vCash

I predict a Mark Richt/ UGA type tenure for Mullen in which he sticks around for 8-10 years and never wins anything. He'll be just successful enough though to keep his job.
    I think you hit on a very good comparison. My thought is Dan will do plenty well enough to avoid being fired but that the fanbase will never really be satisfied with him. That is pretty much the definition of a Richt type tenure.

vCash
    I think you guys are nuts to think Florida will run Mullen off in 3 or 4 years. That lacks any basis.

Mullen is a really good football coach and extremely talented at building a solid foundation.

McElwain is my basis for Dan lasting three years.

vCash
    I agree with this. He is a good coach (even though he?s on my shit list right now and I hate admitting that), and will have success at Florida. They are not gonna fire him if he doesn?t win the east for the first three to four years. And he will eventually win the east I believe. But if he doesn?t and at some point gets run out, he is not going to be a damn OC somewhere, there will be schools lining up to hire him.
    Wait.. How do you come to this conclusion when they did exactly that to the last coach? This lacks common sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaDawgs View Post
    Wait.. How do you come to this conclusion when they did exactly that to the last coach? This lacks common sense.
    Please remember there were folks on here ready to open the checkbook and give him the same type money he is making at UF. Common sense can sometimes be skewed and time will tell whether that should have happened or not.

The difference is the fanbase at UF are truly nutjobs. Now, most of the logical ones have hit rock bottom and are just looking for a coach that puts a competitive team on the field. The others have expectations that even Saban at UF wouldn't be able to love up to. Lateral Move will never beat UGA, regardless of how long he is there and that will ultimately be the catalyst that gets him removed (just my opinion).

vCash

Mullen wasn't hired to win games. He was hired to win championships. Their fans are expecting him to get them back to the Urban Meyer level very quickly, as in he's got this year to get a QB and get his offense installed. Next year is "game on" and the heat ratchets up every year after that he doesn't win a championship.

vCash
    Some of y'all are thinking a little too rationally. UF will not keep Mullen more than four years without at least one trip to Atlanta. If he makes it four years and Kirby is his daddy that seat will be flaming hot.

vCash
    Y'all forget - before Mullen left UF for MSU, there was a loud portion of the fanbase wanting him fired as OC. They even had a fireddanmullen.com going. They saw the same things we saw year in and year out but had superior athletes who could overcome the things that made Dan go 7-6 or less here on 4 occasions. Dan hates recruiting. Dan hates pre-madonnas**. Dan thinks he invented football. Dan thinks Hev is a quality guy. Dan puckers up under big game pressure. The difference in Dan Mullen '05-'08 and Dan Mullen '18+ is that he had Urban Meyer to over rule him and superior talent. He has neither at UF now.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    👆👆👆

vCash
    They ran McElwain off because 1. He sucked, and 2. His teams were boring to watch even as they won.

I agree Florida can be irrational as can any fan base, but I believe Mullen will do enough in three years that they will give him rope, and he will eventually be very successful there. Just my opinion. And I firmly believe that if he were fired (barring scandalous reasons), of the however many over 100 football programs there are in this country that are D1, a strong percentage of them would come calling to swoop him up. I think a large portion of our fan base (or at least message board warriors) are fools to think he is not a good coach. Now recruiter on the other hand......

And no, I?m not Megan...

vCash
    They ran McElwain off because 1. He sucked, and 2. His teams were boring to watch even as they won.

I agree Florida can be irrational as can any fan base, but I believe Mullen will do enough in three years that they will give him rope, and he will eventually be very successful there. Just my opinion. And I firmly believe that if he were fired (barring scandalous reasons), of the however many over 100 football programs there are in this country that are D1, a strong percentage of them would come calling to swoop him up. I think a large portion of our fan base (or at least message board warriors) are fools to think he is not a good coach. Now recruiter on the other hand......

And no, I?m not Megan...
    You are correct - because Dan Mullen is a very good football coach. He is not an elite football coach. He has not demonstrated the tools of an elite coach, and UF has the expectations of Dan providing elite coach results. That is just reality.
    Now, if Dan were to realize that he needs to be all in on recruiting, hire a true OC to run his system, get rid of his country club staff on offense, ditch the two gloves and khaki shorts - he might be able to elevate himself to elite status.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

And no, I?m not Megan...
    I would agree with you on the last point about Dan being a good coach, but McElwain was the man when he got there..The hottest name on the street. I'll address point number 1.. I hope JoMo sucks enough to get us to Atlanta 2/3 years. On to point number 2.. So if Mullen puts some flashy teams out there that lose, all is good?

I really don't understand your thought process on this one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Please remember there were folks on here ready to open the checkbook and give him the same type money he is making at UF. Common sense can sometimes be skewed and time will tell whether that should have happened or not.

The difference is the fanbase at UF are truly nutjobs. Now, most of the logical ones have hit rock bottom and are just looking for a coach that puts a competitive team on the field. The others have expectations that even Saban at UF wouldn't be able to love up to. Lateral Move will never beat UGA, regardless of how long he is there and that will ultimately be the catalyst that gets him removed (just my opinion).
    Yeah but that was facing the unknown, if we knew we were getting as quality a coach that we think JoMo is, we would have all been happy to tell Dan 'See Ya, wouldn't want to be Ya'.

vCash
    it wasn't just McElwain ... Muschamp didn't last long either
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Completely agree. He'll mostly get a pass when he gets throttled by UGA this year, but when it happens in year 2... the mob will start forming. After Grantham departs and UF loses to UGA again, who'll be on their way to a 4th consecutive East title, Mullen will get the boot... guaranteed. He'll have a very nice overall record but also 12 straight loses to Smart (9 as DC).
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    He was over paid here the last 3-4 years. Hes certainly over paid there. They're not catching UGA any time soon and that's not going to be good enough for the bull gators.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Absolutely they overpaid... But UF was desperate amid a coaching drought... They still coulda gottem for less than $6M, IMO...
    This is correct.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    He was over paid here the last 3-4 years. Hes certainly over paid there. They're not catching UGA any time soon and that's not going to be good enough for the bull gators.
    You're right Hack, he got a good bump after 2014 and then used his new agent to work things. But if you look at the whole conference, we were paying him about average for the rest of the conference when he quit.