Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McDonnell vs Schlosnagle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Steakonastick View Post
    Get ready for Schloss with Gatreau staying.
    Interesting. Tulane Connection. Good call

vCash
    Awesome!

vCash
    both are great. It would suck though for McDonnell to be available to olemiss in the future.

Banned
    vCash
    If these guys are indeed in play, than we are indeed an elite program. Elite in a different kinda way. I love MSU.

vCash
    You are the 2nd one that I find credible to say schloss. Looks like this could be happening

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    both are great. It would suck though for McDonnell to be available to olemiss in the future.
    The thing about it is if they ever did get McDonnell he wouldn't be going up against Polk II this time.

vCash
    We aren't getting Schlossnagle. So it's an easy choice.

vCash
    Just to get some of our more chicken-little types going: both TCU and Louisville are having very mediocre seasons right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    Just to get some of our more chicken-little types going: both TCU and Louisville are having very mediocre seasons right now.
    I wonder if maybe their head coaches have smn on their minds??

Also, Louisville is surging right now and their RPI has climbed to 26 I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Why you say we aren't getting him?

vCash
    One thing I have learned when it comes to baseball, never doubt steakonastick. Guy knows his stuff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    One thing I have learned when it comes to baseball, never doubt steakonastick. Guy knows his stuff
    It really doesn’t matter whether it’s Schloss or McDonnell. Both could win a natty here. I’m good with either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Maybe, but Schloss is at the 3rd year (6 yr deal) of a contract that about $1.2M ($1.5M total). He's top 3 in pay in the country. And I'm not aware of any issues at TCU like with McDonnell. Give me either and I'm happy. I think Schloss is the better coach of the two, but McDonnell is an insane recruiter. It's a win/win.

vCash
    Maybe, but Schloss is at the 3rd year (6 yr deal) of a contract that about $1.2M ($1.5M total). He's top 3 in pay in the country. And I'm not aware of any issues at TCU like with McDonnell. Give me either and I'm happy. I think Schloss is the better coach of the two, but McDonnell is an insane recruiter. It's a win/win.
    Pretty sure TCU's athletics director just left for Texas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Correct so no buyout if we hire Schloss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    The new AD was the asst. AD though. He's been there for 7 years and he's not saying education is more important than ball like at Louisville. No NCAA cloud. Again, if Steak is right then awesome. I just don't see it. We aren't paying more than $1.5M and we can't go but 4 years. There would have to be issues there IMO.
    Let's hope there's some!

vCash
    The new AD was the asst. AD though. He's been there for 7 years and he's not saying education is more important than ball like at Louisville. No NCAA cloud. Again, if Steak is right then awesome. I just don't see it. We aren't paying more than $1.5M and we can't go but 4 years. There would have to be issues there IMO.
    Let's hope there's some!
    Fair points no doubt. I'll also say schloss may just want to coach somewhere where baseball matters. He has been phenomenal and their average attendance is still just over half of ours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Schloss all day. 68.5% career winning percentage. 47 years old. Been to the Supers 4 straight years. Been to Omaha 4 straight years. 7 straight conference championships in the Mountain West, 2 conference championships and 2 tournament championships in the Big 12. Has 3 former assistants that currently have HC jobs at big time schools.

Fan base has tunnel vision right now. Both would be great but Schlossnagle is the better hire. He's the Saban hire. McDonnell would be the Dabo hire in my opinion. Both great but I think Schloss is better.
    I'm not sure what that last statement means, but in terms of the rest:

McDonnell: 71.5% career winning percentage
    Same age
    Been to the Supers 5 straight years, Omaha 3 out of 5
    Conference champ 7 out of the last 9 years
    2 conference championships in 3 years in the ACC, a tougher league than the B12
    I have no idea about his assistants

How is Schlossnagle clearly better based on any of that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm not sure what that last statement means, but in terms of the rest:

McDonnell: 71.5% career winning percentage
    Same age
    Been to the Supers 5 straight years, Omaha 3 out of 5
    Conference champ 7 out of the last 9 years
    2 conference championships in 3 years in the ACC, a tougher league than the B12
    I have no idea about his assistants

How is Schlossnagle clearly better based on any of that?
    Well let me first clarify. My post was not to incinuate McDonnell would be bad. Schloss has McDonnell on length of time being a HC. Schloss has 16 years of experience. I give him points because he navigated a change from C USA to the Mountain West, then took that school into the Big 12 and is dominating. Lousiville had a higher floor to start at.

No NCAA Tournament the 9 years prior to a Schloss taking the job and multiple conference tournaments missed. Louisville has an appearance a couple years before McDonnell took over. McDonnell tournament record of 22-15. Schloss 54-34.

Like I said these guys are both solid hires. But I think Schloss is better by a little bit. If we get McDonnell I will be thrilled. That to me is a damn good hire. I just think Schloss is a little better hire.

Banned
    vCash
    Both are elite recruiters and great coaches. McDonnell would have an early start advantage in Miss over Schloss due to the relationships he built during his stint with the bears. But Schloss has proven he can start from ground zero no matter where he lands and hit the ground running on the crootin' trail.

The only real downside to Schloss is we don't want the bears to land McDonnell. Is Bianco on the bear chopping block? Are the sharks circling around Bianco?