Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McDonnell vs Schlosnagle

vCash

McDonnell vs Schlosnagle

Who would you rather have given the choice and why?

vCash
    McDonnell, just to stick it to OM.

vCash
    I feel like the sentiment of the board would mcD. Just not sure why.

vCash
    Either one would be great hires but I’d prefer McDonnell simply because he’s more familiar with the area from his time at OM Recruiting.

It’s going to be really interesting to see who we end up hiring.

I will be really disappointed if we hire Butch

vCash
    Either one would be great hires but I?d prefer McDonnell simply because he?s more familiar with the area from his time at OM Recruiting.

It?s going to be really interesting to see who we end up hiring.

vCash
    McDonnell

vCash
    Wrong thread...but I'd take mcd

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadawg99 View Post
    Either one would be great hires but I?d prefer McDonnell simply because he?s more familiar with the area from his time at OM Recruiting.

It?s going to be really interesting to see who we end up hiring.

We aren’t Hiring Butch ..

vCash
    Schloss all day. 68.5% career winning percentage. 47 years old. Been to the Supers 4 straight years. Been to Omaha 4 straight years. 7 straight conference championships in the Mountain West, 2 conference championships and 2 tournament championships in the Big 12. Has 3 former assistants that currently have HC jobs at big time schools.

Fan base has tunnel vision right now. Both would be great but Schlossnagle is the better hire. He's the Saban hire. McDonnell would be the Dabo hire in my opinion. Both great but I think Schloss is better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Who would you rather have given the choice and why?
    McD because Louisville is a more comparable situation to the MSU job. Public university in a state that requires much outside recruiting. But both are proven great coaches.

vCash
    Does tcu have the scholly advantage that private schools like vandy and Stanford have?

vCash
    McDonnell, but I think Schlossnagle would do just as well.
    Last edited by Bulldog1; 05-08-2018 at 09:49 PM.

vCash
    Does tcu have the scholly advantage that private schools like vandy and Stanford have?
    Good question.

vCash
    I don't think there is a bad choice between the four most commonly rumored candidates- Schlossnagle, Tadlock, McDonnell, and Corbin.

Any of those four would be home runs.

McDonnell- He knows Mississippi although it has been awhile and the thing about Louisville is he has been winning at a high level in an area that is not a great baseball talent region. I think if he came back he could potentially do even better.

Schlossnagle- I think he may keep Gautreau and his pitching coach is one of the best in the country. He used to be the pitching coach at Tulane so he probably knows our region better than some may realize. Has taken TCU to Omaha four years in a row and has connections to Texas and if Kirk Saarloos his pitching coach comes with him he has connections in California.

Tadlock- A little bit younger and probably the most "unproven" of this group- which tells you how impressive this group is- but has Texas Tech in line for a National Seed again this year despite losing their ace for the season. Has one of the top assistants in the country who could very well take over at Texas Tech if we hire Tadlock. Evaluates talent very well.

Corbin- Know the SEC and is the only guy in this group that has won a National Title. Has good connections in Tennessee where we recruit a lot and has tapped into the Northeast. Has a great reputation for being able to get elite pitchers through the MLB draft which may be more of a credit to his former pitching coach- Derek Johnson- than anything.

vCash
    I think they do BUT I wouldn't worry too much about it. Vanderbilt has had this advantage forever and they sucked before Corbin came along. Same with TCU. I would imagine that there are schools like Duke and Tulane that also have those same advantages and they suck.

So, the coach is still a big part of it. It's just like us with our stadium and fanbase- they are great advantages for us in recruiting BUT if we don't have a coach that can identify talent and get that talent to MLB it's a moot point.

And no doubt Cohen will help whoever our coach is with the scholarship situation as much as he can. As I have said before we have players that are on academic scholarship, grants, receive tuition waivers and etc in addition to in some cases their partial baseball scholarship.

The Lottery Scholarships and Endowments are BS excuses that our fans cling to as a way to explain why our coaches haven't done a good enough job in recruiting.

vCash
    No. Schlossnagle would win big.

I think McDonnell is a little more hands on and a little better on field coach while Schlossnagle is maybe a better CEO and manager of the program.

Both are elite and would win big.

vCash
    If Schlossnagle and McDonnell are waiting for us to decide, we have already won in a big big way.

vCash
    Get ready for Schloss with Gatreau staying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    If Schlossnagle and McDonnell are waiting for us to decide, we have already won in a big big way.
    This all day!

Banned
    vCash
    Either would be grand slams.