Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is MSU Football at Top 20 Program?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Is Baylor?
    No. Perhaps the rule is that your success has to span multiple coaching staffs.

So Mullen gets credit for where we are currently on this list, but it's only one data point. Moorhead sustaining or growing Mullen's success would go a long way in meaning that MSU can have sustainable success due to its resources rather than just having a good coach.

Without Meyer, Florida is just a program that happen to have one awesome coach.

Without Stalling and Saban, Alabama is the same as Florida.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-08-2018 at 05:47 PM.

vCash
    "According to history, maybe, but over the past 5-8 years, we've seen a paradigm shift in college football."

Without a doubt there is a shift way more parity in CFB, especially in the SEC, TV money has evened thing up a lot! we're not in the league of the Bama's and aTm, but we ain't the little sisters of the poor anymore. Another factor is we have more generous donors than we had in the past.

"Perhaps, MSU was a sleeping giant between 1950 & 1990. Perhaps, MSU football really started with Sherrill becoming the head coach, which crumbled because of probation & then a bad hire following it."

I don't know about a sleeping giant, but in my time as a fan basically 50 years, I have really only seen 2 successful periods. The first one as Bob Tyler whose success was derailed by the NCAA over a 10% discount on a shirt given by a hometown store, who gave the same discount to every college student, Larry Gilliard. The second successful period was the Kang, Jackie Sherrill, who the NCAA followed from Pittsburgh to aTm and on to MSU. I'll give Jackie this much, he was always one step ahead of the NCAA boys and he became the highest paid coach in the country, when he took the aTm job.

"Perhaps, prior to Greg Byrne, MSU football was one of the worst managed football programs in history?"

Without a doubt, the only bright star in our prior AD's was Carl Maddox, who raised a lot of money and started upgrading our facilities.

HAIL STATE!
    Last edited by msbulldog; 05-08-2018 at 06:55 PM.

vCash
    The UGA thing is a surprise. Must be due to the one losing season Richt had. Take that away and they have to be top 10 at least.
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    All time means a LOT. Sure there are a few newbies to the club and a few blue bloods drop out. Most of the blue bloods stay there over the long haull.
    It's meaning less and less with the tv money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Is Baylor?
    Sans the briles fiasco, yes they were.

With the distribution of money these days, especially in the sec, All that is necessary to be a college football top 20 program is a great coach who is a good recruiter with a recruiting base or a good coach who is a great recruiter with a recruiting base.
    Last edited by confucius say; 05-08-2018 at 07:04 PM.

vCash
    Spurrier won 11 games like 2 or 3 years in a row at South Carolina then fell off when he got old and unengaged, Mike Gundy has had OK State going for a while now. I think we are approaching OK State of the SEC West status.

Need one more ''big time'' year and I think we will have earned it. 2018 is that year.

Then we can start worrying about being Clemson or whoever else.

I think we would beat the doors off a lot of teams in the Big 10 and Big 12. SEC and ACC are running CFB right now. B10 and B12 are falling behind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    It's meaning less and less with the tv money.
    Yet the same teams are still at the top most years. I means as much as it always has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Spurrier won 11 games like 2 or 3 years in a row at South Carolina then fell off when he got old and unengaged, Mike Gundy has had OK State going for a while now. I think we are approaching OK State of the SEC West status.

Need one more ''big time'' year and I think we will have earned it. 2018 is that year.

Then we can start worrying about being Clemson or whoever else.

I think we would beat the doors off a lot of teams in the Big 10 and Big 12. SEC and ACC are running CFB right now. B10 and B12 are falling behind.
    dead. nuts. on.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Yet the same teams are still at the top most years. I means as much as it always has.
    Clemson. Tcu. Baylor. Oregon. Stanford. Ok state. Mich st. Miss st.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    No. Perhaps the rule is that your success has to span multiple coaching staffs.

So Mullen gets credit for where we are currently on this list, but it's only one data point. Moorhead sustaining or growing Mullen's success would go a long way in meaning that MSU can have sustainable success due to its resources rather than just having a good coach.

Without Meyer, Florida is just a program that happen to have one awesome coach.

Without Stalling and Saban, Alabama is the same as Florida.
    This is completely inaccurate.

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    This is completely inaccurate.
    You think mcewlain and/or muschamp would have won big at Bama?

vCash
    You think mcewlain and/or muschamp would have won big at Bama?
    I dunno... I do know that Bammer less Saban & Stallings still isn't remotely comparable to Florida...

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This from The Athletic today.

Granted, it's only a 4 stretch, but is what we've done over the past 4 years unsustainable?

According to history, maybe, but over the past 5-8 years, we've seen a paradigm shift in college football.

Perhaps, MSU was a sleeping giant between 1950 & 1990. Perhaps, MSU football really started with Sherrill becoming the head coach, which crumbled because of probation & then a bad hire following it.

Perhaps, prior to Greg Byrne, MSU football was one of the worst managed football programs in history?

?All-Time College Football Playoff Rankings 2014-17?

?All Time? and ?2014-17? don?t seem to go together

vCash
    Clemson. Tcu. Baylor. Oregon. Stanford. Ok state. Mich st. Miss st.
    Dude, Clemson won a Natty in the 80s. The rest of those have yet to win one. They have very few conference titles as well. Except for Clemson those are all next tier programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by biggun View Post
    ?All-Time College Football Playoff Rankings 2014-17?

?All Time? and ?2014-17? don?t seem to go together
    All time playoff rankings. Playoff didn't start til 2014

vCash
    Dude, Clemson won a Natty in the 80s. The rest of those have yet to win one. They have very few conference titles as well. Except for Clemson those are all next tier programs.
    Dude. The OP, my post about top 20 programs, and the entire thread has been about top 20 programs. Your first post in this thread was in response to whether your all time history plays a role in being a top 20 program today. You said it matters a lot and that's where this whole debate started.

Those teams are all top 20 programs now (I'm giving Baylor a sexual assault reprieve bc they were a top 20 program until briles went crazy)
    Last edited by confucius say; 05-08-2018 at 09:03 PM.

vCash
    I dunno... I do know that Bammer less Saban & Stallings still isn't remotely comparable to Florida...
    Why you say that? Keeping in mind that this is about today's college football landscape, not the 1970s.

Banned
    vCash
    During Dan Mullen Era......I would go for Top 30 on average and during his best years, maybe top 25. All time.....top 50.

I remember when FlaState was horrible prior to Bowden getting there. MSU beat them like 59 to very little and we were average. I remember when K-State was horrible, but Bill Snyder sort of changed them into a top 25-30 program. I think we can get to be like FSU and KSU during their hay days and JOMO may be the guy to do it....we'll just have to see. If we don't at least go 9-3 with this year's team, I'll be worried.

vCash
    Why you say that? Keeping in mind that this is about today's college football landscape, not the 1970s.
    ooooooh, I get it... I agree... Florida with Meyer/SOS is definitely > Bammer (minus all of their successful coaches and periods)....

So is LSU, UGA, UT, AU, A&M, etc....

No.

vCash
    ooooooh, I get it... I agree... Florida with Meyer/SOS is definitely > Bammer (minus all of their successful coaches and periods)....

So is LSU, UGA, UT, AU, A&M, etc....
    Yea that's my point. Bama no doubt has the best football history of all time in sec. But in today's landscape (tv money), that doesn't mean as much as it did 20 years ago bc the playing field has leveled. For instance, If Fla had Saban and Bama had Muschamp/Mcewain, Fla would be elite and Bama would be average.

It's all about hiring the right coach (which we all can afford to do now) and having a good recruiting base.