Thread: My Favorite Baseball Wins over Ole Miss

vCash

My Favorite Baseball Wins over Ole Miss

1. 2005 SEC Championship Game. This honestly was probably Ole Miss's best team to date under Bianco from a talent standpoint and they were a National Seed. We were in the middle of the Polk II era and Ole Miss had embarrassed us earlier in the year sweeping us. I thought we had a chance if they didn't start Stephen Head. Bianco started a tired Mark Holliman. We teed off on him and Brooks Dunn and Brett Cleveland ummmm....shut those mother ****ers down. (HEY! THEIR WORDS not mine!) Oh- and when they brought Head in to pitch he shut us down.

2. 2018 Governor's Cup. Yes this is probably spur of the moment. But this to me was about the equivalent of our 1999 Egg Bowl win. I think what made it awesome was not only the fact that we came back and won but the fact that as someone in attendance I heard the smack that the Ole Miss fans were running on our fans and players when they took the lead. Mind you they ran off like cockroaches when we took the lead one half inning before and the Henderson-ing compelled them to come back. Of course, this was just in time for them to witness Luke Alexander rip their hearts out again for the second time this year. And even more importantly it allowed MSU fans to get the last laugh on the Ole Miss fans while their wives and girlfriends comforted them back to the car.

3. 2014 SBW comeback win in front of the largest on campus crowd in NCAA history. I thought we lost for sure. And then Cody Brown hit what appeared to be a meaningless double. It actually started a miracle rally capped off by Gavin Collins getting the game winning hit to win it for us in extra innings.

4. 2013 Mother's Day comeback in Oxford. Cohen had burned Holder early in the game and we were down by something like six and then had a huge rally and Ben Bracewell pitched maybe his best game of his career.

5. Any win during the 1990 season. We beat them 17-0 and 9-0 and won the Mayor's Trophy 4-1. The one run they scored was because an umpire screwed up. The consolation prize was Ron Polk getting into an argument with the umpire in front of me and my Dad who were both egging Polk on. Basically it was like a PG version of Earl Weaver but equally epic.

6. Mayor's Trophy 1997. Adam Piatt, Brad Freeman, and Richard Lee took batting practice against an awful Ole Miss team that had like one guy hitting over .300. Meanwhile all of our guys were hitting well over .300 at the time. Jeremy Jackson pitched well that day too. I remember thinking- "this is how baseball in Mississippi should be".

7. Mayor's Trophy 1998. We kicked their ass again and pulled off a sweet delayed double steal and Hank Thoms shut them down. I remember thinking- "this is how baseball in Mississippi should be".

8. Governor's Cup 2017 solely because of Brent Rooker's moon shot that caused the Ole Miss crowd to go "OHHHH!" and ours to stand up and cheer like crazy on the other half of the stadium. It was pretty cool to see.

9. Brantley Jones wearing an Archie Who pin to the mound at Swayze Field. He then- with the SEC Title on the line- intentionally walked the go ahead run so that he could get Manning out for the last out of the game. And unlike Bianco- of course he did it because Brantley Jones is basically the Clint Eastwood of MSU baseball. He was then carried off the mound and shot Ole Miss the double bird. This pretty much makes him my favorite non-MLB MSU baseball player.

10. Any win in 1985 for obvious reasons. Thunder and Lightning are such a legendary part of MSU baseball and they did their share of damage against Ole Miss. But they were no Jake Mangum and Luke Alexander.

That's just some of them because there are too many to list.

vCash
    Great stuff. I was in attendance for 1 and 3. great games. Never heard that story about 9. that's awesome

vCash
    The 2013 Mother's Day comeback was pretty incredible. And that was kind of the turning point that year that started the ball rolling from an average State team to elite and playing for the national title.

It's hard to argue that 2005 SEC Championship game shouldn't be #1 because it was for a tournament championship, but 2014 should at the very worst be #2. It was the largest crowd in the history of college baseball regular season, and the comeback was incredible....down 3 runs in the bottom of the 10th and then won the game.

vCash
    Honorable mention to Ricky Bowen's (of all people...) near no-hitter in 2008 (of all years...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    1. 2005 SEC Championship Game. This honestly was probably Ole Miss's best team to date under Bianco from a talent standpoint and they were a National Seed. We were in the middle of the Polk II era and Ole Miss had embarrassed us earlier in the year sweeping us. I thought we had a chance if they didn't start Stephen Head. Bianco started a tired Mark Holliman. We teed off on him and Brooks Dunn and Brett Cleveland ummmm....shut those mother ****ers down. (HEY! THEIR WORDS not mine!) Oh- and when they brought Head in to pitch he shut us down.

2. 2018 Governor's Cup. Yes this is probably spur of the moment. But this to me was about the equivalent of our 1999 Egg Bowl win. I think what made it awesome was not only the fact that we came back and won but the fact that as someone in attendance I heard the smack that the Ole Miss fans were running on our fans and players when they took the lead. Mind you they ran off like cockroaches when we took the lead one half inning before and the Henderson-ing compelled them to come back. Of course, this was just in time for them to witness Luke Alexander rip their hearts out again for the second time this year. And even more importantly it allowed MSU fans to get the last laugh on the Ole Miss fans while their wives and girlfriends comforted them back to the car.

3. 2014 SBW comeback win in front of the largest on campus crowd in NCAA history. I thought we lost for sure. And then Cody Brown hit what appeared to be a meaningless double. It actually started a miracle rally capped off by Gavin Collins getting the game winning hit to win it for us in extra innings.

4. 2013 Mother's Day comeback in Oxford. Cohen had burned Holder early in the game and we were down by something like six and then had a huge rally and Ben Bracewell pitched maybe his best game of his career.

5. Any win during the 1990 season. We beat them 17-0 and 9-0 and won the Mayor's Trophy 4-1. The one run they scored was because an umpire screwed up. The consolation prize was Ron Polk getting into an argument with the umpire in front of me and my Dad who were both egging Polk on. Basically it was like a PG version of Earl Weaver but equally epic.

6. Mayor's Trophy 1997. Adam Piatt, Brad Freeman, and Richard Lee took batting practice against an awful Ole Miss team that had like one guy hitting over .300. Meanwhile all of our guys were hitting well over .300 at the time. Jeremy Jackson pitched well that day too. I remember thinking- "this is how baseball in Mississippi should be".

7. Mayor's Trophy 1998. We kicked their ass again and pulled off a sweet delayed double steal and Hank Thoms shut them down. I remember thinking- "this is how baseball in Mississippi should be".

8. Governor's Cup 2017 solely because of Brent Rooker's moon shot that caused the Ole Miss crowd to go "OHHHH!" and ours to stand up and cheer like crazy on the other half of the stadium. It was pretty cool to see.

9. Brantley Jones wearing an Archie Who pin to the mound at Swayze Field. He then- with the SEC Title on the line- intentionally walked the go ahead run so that he could get Manning out for the last out of the game. And unlike Bianco- of course he did it because Brantley Jones is basically the Clint Eastwood of MSU baseball. He was then carried off the mound and shot Ole Miss the double bird. This pretty much makes him my favorite non-MLB MSU baseball player.

10. Any win in 1985 for obvious reasons. Thunder and Lightning are such a legendary part of MSU baseball and they did their share of damage against Ole Miss. But they were no Jake Mangum and Luke Alexander.

That's just some of them because there are too many to list.
    And may I add that in the early 70's Paul Gregory era, the rival in baseball with Ole Miss was very intense, at least at Dudy Noble. Leftfield Lounge was just coming of age, as cars lined up against the fence and yes we had huge crowds. I remember one time someone throwing a smoke bomb at centerfielder Norris Weese who was a starting QB at Ole Miss, awesome athlete.
    Big ass fight broke out with several Rebel football players involved, they had a very good teams while I was in school.

Btw, Brantley Jones was some kind of special pitcher, one thing Paul Gregory had as a coach was outstanding pitching. What a great Coach and gentleman he was, and had some awesome teams! I can't understand why his name isn't or wasn't on a wall somewhere at the Dudy, he and Coach Tom D'armi had a patent on a batting cage, it rolled out to home plate and was a semi domed cage. Gregory also taught classes while in was coaching, had a few classes under him, he mostly wore a coat and tie while teaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post
    The 2013 Mother's Day comeback was pretty incredible. And that was kind of the turning point that year that started the ball rolling from an average State team to elite and playing for the national title.

It's hard to argue that 2005 SEC Championship game shouldn't be #1 because it was for a tournament championship, but 2014 should at the very worst be #2. It was the largest crowd in the history of college baseball regular season, and the comeback was incredible....down 3 runs in the bottom of the 10th and then won the game.

That was so great! And we did it with those 17'n Adidas bats too!!
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    And may I add that in the early 70's Paul Gregory era, the rival in baseball with Ole Miss was very intense, at least at Dudy Noble. Leftfield Lounge was just coming of age, as cars lined up against the fence and yes we had huge crowds. I remember one time someone throwing a smoke bomb at centerfielder Norris Weese who was a starting QB at Ole Miss, awesome athlete.
    Big ass fight broke out with several Rebel football players involved, they had a very good teams while I was in school.

Btw, Brantley Jones was some kind of special pitcher, one thing Paul Gregory had as a coach was outstanding pitching. What a great Coach and gentleman he was, and had some awesome teams! I can't understand why his name isn't or wasn't on a wall somewhere at the Dudy, he and Coach Tom D'armi had a patent on a batting cage, it rolled out to home plate and was a semi domed cage. Gregory also taught classes while in was coaching, had a few classes under him, he mostly wore a coat and tie while teaching.
    Because we have to be sure and have RP's name somewhere.....sure hope it isn't on the new Dude.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Honorable mention to Ricky Bowen's (of all people...) near no-hitter in 2008 (of all years...)
    Russ sneed still needs an ass whoopin for his error that allowed the extra hitter in the 9th which cost Bowen the no no

vCash
    Memory is rusty but DOGS had a huge comeback win in the spring of 76.......HUGE...details escape me ...

vCash
    Brantley Jones wearing an Archie Who pin to the mound at Swayze Field. He then- with the SEC Title on the line- intentionally walked the go ahead run so that he could get Manning out for the last out of the game. And unlike Bianco- of course he did it because Brantley Jones is basically the Clint Eastwood of MSU baseball. He was then carried off the mound and shot Ole Miss the double bird. This pretty much makes him my favorite non-MLB MSU baseball player.

Jones, Hall and Duck Profitt might be the best weekend pitchers we've ever had. That team was awesome. We also had Whoop stick Henderson to throw during the week with Bobby Thompson.. they we strong as new rope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Brantley Jones wearing an Archie Who pin to the mound at Swayze Field. He then- with the SEC Title on the line- intentionally walked the go ahead run so that he could get Manning out for the last out of the game. And unlike Bianco- of course he did it because Brantley Jones is basically the Clint Eastwood of MSU baseball. He was then carried off the mound and shot Ole Miss the double bird. This pretty much makes him my favorite non-MLB MSU baseball player.

Jones, Hall and Duck Profitt might be the best weekend pitchers we've ever had. That team was awesome. We also had Whoop stick Henderson to throw during the week with Bobby Thompson.. they we strong as new rope.
    Have to agree about those 3 as best weekend starters ever. Phil Still 3rd baseman is one of the all time greats as well. Dude could rake and had a gold glove, can only imagine how good he would have been in today's game.