Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious Question About Egg Bowl

vCash

Serious Question About Egg Bowl

I feel pretty smug to bring this up, but does MSU need to retaliate vs Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl?

Over the past 4 years, there have been numerous cheap shots by Ole Miss players towards MSU players. Here are the two most famous, but go watch last year's Egg Bowl & you'll see them trying to hurt KT as well.

The case for retaliation:

The case for retaliation of simple: In baseball, if you hit the other team's best player, your best player will get hit as well. The game regulates itself. Now that OM has clearly taken numerous cheap shots over the past 4 years, MSU needs to retaliate in order to police the game. If MSU does not retaliate, will OM continue to take cheap shots? Does MSU need to retaliate to protect it's own players?

The case for NOT retaliating

The case for not retaliating in also simple: we are better than that..... it's wrong to intentionally hurt players on the other team. Retaliating would cause an escalation in the rivalry rather than toning it down. MSU is morally superior & will not stoop to this level

I realize this is a polarizing topic & there is clearly a politically correct answer here. However, that doesn't mean it's the right answer & I'm really split on what I would do if I were an MSU player. If this type of situation happened in baseball or hockey, you can absolutely bet your ass that there would be retaliation, not to get the other team back, but to police the sport & ensure that other team doesn't get a free pass for a clear trend of overly aggressive play.

What say you?
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 04-24-2018 at 01:29 PM.

vCash
    The competitive athlete in me says lets go balls to the wall and make them feel the pain.

The adult in me says we are not OM and should not stoop to their level.

It is a conundrum.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Take a knee at their goal line the end of the 3rd quarter. God, I wish we could do what LSU did to them at vaught

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The competitive athlete in me says lets go balls to the wall and make them feel the pain.

The adult in me says we are not OM and should not stoop to their level.

It is a conundrum.
    Conundrum to me as well.

The real question I have is: does retaliating actually prevent future cheap shots by them?

If it does, then it should be an option as MSU should be trying to protect it's own players.

MLB pitchers don't retaliate out of vengeance. They retaliate to protect their own team. If you show an unwillingness to retaliate then other teams will pitch inside on you, back you off the plate, etc.

It's a real conundrum.

vCash
    No. A little extra activity after the whistle is okay and gets the refs involved early on and forces them to have a quick whistle. Then you can just play.

I dislike it when they do it and I'll dislike it just as much when we do it.

vCash

i am old school...i'd take their QB out on the 1st play... old bounty style like the

Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Take a knee at their goal line the end of the 3rd quarter. God, I wish we could do what LSU did to them at vaught
    NFL player who used to write the # of the player on a towel he was wearing during the game. Jim McMahon got body slammed by him and broke his collar bone. Cant remember the players name seemed like he played for the Packers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DCdawg View Post
    No. A little extra activity after the whistle is okay and gets the refs involved early on and forces them to have a quick whistle. Then you can just play.

I dislike it when they do it and I'll dislike it just as much when we do it.
    I hear you & I expect this to be the popular opinion.

I do have a question though: What if OM took another cheap shot during the game this year? What would you think then? Is there a line for you where at some point you say enough is enough? If So, where is it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Conundrum to me as well.

The real question I have is: does retaliating actually prevent future cheap shots by them?

If it does, then it should be an option as MSU should be trying to protect it's own players.

MLB pitchers don't retaliate out of vengeance. They retaliate to protect their own team. If you show an unwillingness to retaliate then other teams will pitch inside on you, back you off the plate, etc.

It's a real conundrum.
    Meet hunter Strickland

vCash
    With that group involved, retaliation will almost certainly lead to escalation, which almost never has a positive outcome for anyone. I think the best we can hope for is for the SEC to eventually decide that they don't want a group of unchecked thugs associated with them and threaten them with some serious consequences if it continues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    NFL player who used to write the # of the player on a towel he was wearing during the game. Jim McMahon got body slammed by him and broke his collar bone. Cant remember the players name seemed like he played for the Packers.
    I'm not in on purposefully hurting their players because I don't like them. I'm in to protecting our players & the question is if it's time to say enough is enough

vCash
    I would only say retaliate if the same kind of shit is tried again this EB. If so then I'd send someone to give 5-0 a nice little love tap. It would be a sign to Man Titties to cut that shit out.

I hope we don't have to do that and the SEC refs are actually worth a damn this time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I hear you & I expect this to be the popular opinion.

I do have a question though: What if OM took another cheap shot during the game this year? What would you think then? Is there a line for you where at some point you say enough is enough? If So, where is it?
    I don't think there's ever a time when it's acceptable, but the only time it would cross my mind is when the refs have turned a blind eye to it. Many of you will argue that has already happened, but in my opinion every game is a blank slate. Once multiple cheap shots are taken in one game and unpunished, then it becomes fair territory as a means to protect yourself and teammates.

vCash
    I don't think there's ever a time when it's acceptable, but the only time it would cross my mind is when the refs have turned a blind eye to it. Many of you will argue that has already happened, but in my opinion every game is a blank slate. Once multiple cheap shots are taken in one game and unpunished, then it becomes fair territory as a means to protect yourself and teammates.
    Solid opinion. I don't disagree.

vCash
    What you're hitting on is the answer. protecting your teammates and yourself is fine. But it has to be in the heat of the moment, in the same game. Not 365 days later. That's why when you're qb is cheapshotted by Elston two seconds after the whistle it's acceptable for you're OL to go all "Kyle Turley"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WyLJ27TdZs

vCash
    Hell no, just play the game at our highest level! I would never tell a kid or even encourage a kid to hurt another player! Yes it was sorry on Ole Misses taking cheap shots but just beat the hell out of them!

vCash
    i'm not sure multiple cheap shots are required - and that is where Dan has screwed up in the past. you cant let multiple happen or you have a game like last year. Put your 3rd string corner in, run a blitz from the blindside, and make the QB feel the late hit. That 3rd string kid would become an instant beloved Bulldog for life.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    My biggest problem is Dan and MSU appeared to do very little about this on the surface. I am aware that Ole Miss apologized after the fact so it's obvious that we did something. Compare that to Les Miles and LSU with Dillion Day. I think as a fan I would rather MSU handle it that way than the other.

What I would do if I was MSU is I would first notify Sankey and tell him that his officials were unsafe last year and allowed way too much to go on and it is a safety concern for our student athletes and cite examples as Shotgun has. I would then inform him that while we value and believe in sportsmanship we value our student athelete's safety more and if too much unethical behavior is allowed we as a team will take action to protect our players if unnecessary roughness penalties are noy called appropriately.

As far as the game I think the rules are different for football than baseball and I think the proper thing to do would be to run up the score.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    i'm not sure multiple cheap shots are required - and that is where Dan has screwed up in the past. you cant let multiple happen or you have a game like last year. Put your 3rd string corner in, run a blitz from the blindside, and make the QB feel the late hit. That 3rd string kid would become an instant beloved Bulldog for life.
    One thing I have learned in my life- or high school in this case- is if you don't stand up to a bully they will keep bullying you. And usually it only takes standing up for yourself once to stop it.

I just don't think Dan cared.

vCash
    You don't retaliate 365 days later. You don't do it at all unless the refs refuse to stop it in the next one. You know Ole Miss will do it, it epitomizes their entire athletic department. Let the refs handle it, if they will.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Was it Reggie white?