Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Memphis Game Thread (anybody care?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    We need a staff with elite scout connections too.
    Does Cann have a twin brother? Shit...or sister?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I agree with Todd that we need to really get away from Juco recruiting. I'm ok with maybe 1 a year if he's a MS kid. So let's get out of that Juco rut and start stacking up some classes. That's one of the things I like about McDonnel, he doesn't recruit jucos. There are plenty of kids in MS, AL, GA, and TN to field championship caliber baseball teams.
    I would stay away from Juco pitching too unless they just are too good to pass up. That doesn't happen very often. If we are going to stack up HS arms we can't just go after the Elite arms only, too many are real draft risks. We have to identify and sign guys that have good solid HS careers that can grow into a SEC pitcher. Top level HS pitchers that grow and get better will stock your staff with quality arms. Then it's up to the coach to develop them. Just too much risk in trying to bring in too many Elite arms. If you can get 1 Elite arm every year or two, and stack up good quality HS arms every year you can have a top staff. You can win with good pitching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    My big thing is a great hitting coach. I'm tired of this Punch and Judy garbage. How about some power!
    I agree and that's where the scouting connections and also probably more relevantly the being able to project and develop part comes in. It's also where not having half of your lineup being freshmen comes in. It's where S&C come in as well.

Hitting is probably the most difficult thing to do in the world and if you don't have the talent to hit well it probably won't matter much if Ted Williams is your hitting coach. You're still not going to be able to hit well. And if you are not able to generate enough bat speed it also won't matter either.

I think it really comes down to God given talent more than anything because really aside from that there is only so much anyone can do to help someone reach their God given ceiling and it starts to become almost more about trouble shooting and looking for tendencies than anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandawg View Post
    I would stay away from Juco pitching too unless they just are too good to pass up. That doesn't happen very often. If we are going to stack up HS arms we can't just go after the Elite arms only, too many are real draft risks. We have to identify and sign guys that have good solid HS careers that can grow into a SEC pitcher. Top level HS pitchers that grow and get better will stock your staff with quality arms. Then it's up to the coach to develop them. Just too much risk in trying to bring in too many Elite arms. If you can get 1 Elite arm every year or two, and stack up good quality HS arms every year you can have a top staff. You can win with good pitching.
    I actually think that JUCO can be a decent resource for us at certain things. I think we could find at least one good catch and throw third catcher type that is a baseball gym rat that can help our pitchers in the bullpen, handle pitchers well, and essentially be a good leader type of guy who is a big time MSU fan in the JUCO ranks. I think we can find some good sidearm/submarine relief pitchers like Ryan Rigby in the JUCO ranks and those can be valuable in college. We can find those types of players in MS JUCO's and maybe even some pinch hit/pinch run type guys too and we might be able to get a lot of them to walk-on. The problem is we try to make guys that have a ceiling as role players and try to make them into starting players.

I do agree with everything you said though.