Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memphis Game Thread (anybody care?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    17 this season. I'm pro-life but this is nothing but a coat hanger late term abortion of a season. 17 this shit. this is pure bullshit. 17 me. 17 this season. Cohen do work. 17 Hendo. he can go 17 himself, I don't care how good uh pitching coach he is. 17 that dumbass. and yea, I'm pissed right now. please excuse me.
    I laughed. Hey man, we know how you feel. Just poured me 3 fingers of Woodford. Have a drink and relax. This team is not going to wake up tomorrow and go on a long win streak, not gonna happen. MSU baseball won't be fixed until after this season. I just try to think how I would feel if a player was my son. I just can't hate on them. They are Dawgs. I feel your pain.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandawg View Post
    I laughed. Hey man, we know how you feel. Just poured me 3 fingers of Woodford. Have a drink and relax. This team is not going to wake up tomorrow and go on a long win streak, not gonna happen. MSU baseball won't be fixed until after this season. I just try to think how I would feel if a player was my son. I just can't hate on them. They are Dawgs. I feel your pain.

got a lot of pitching to replace next season

Banned
    vCash

you good bro, no need to apologize. you good. I'm just pissed off right now. this shit just sux ass right now and it's not deserved IMO. I'm just mad. end of story. I won't Hendo in prison without a rope and I want Cohen to be upset. as he should be. let's fix this shit. NOW!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    got a lot of pitching to replace next season
    Yep, we will have to replace a lot of pitching, we need a catcher, and some more hitting. What I meant was we can't fix all of that until we fix the coaching situation at the end of the season.

vCash
    We've got 6 freshman position players that look promising: Allen, Westburg, Hatcher, Jordan, Foscue and Anderson. Crazy that we don't have any freshman pitchers. Maybe Small will come back for 1 more year and we can get some of these signees in school.

vCash
    you good bro, no need to apologize. you good. I'm just pissed off right now. this shit just sux ass right now and it's not deserved IMO. I'm just mad. end of story. I won't Hendo in prison without a rope and I want Cohen to be upset. as he should be. let's fix this shit. NOW!!
    No worries, just trying to help keep you from blowing a gasket. Carry on.

vCash
    Yep, we will have to replace a lot of pitching, we need a catcher, and some more hitting. What I meant was we can't fix all of that until we fix the coaching situation at the end of the season.
    Hayden Jones and Luke Hancock are 2 promising catcher prospects and both should be in Starkville next fall. Maybe we can find a grad transfer pitcher like France to help ease the losses.

vCash
    Our pitching has been decimated by Tommy John. I've never seen so many arm injuries. We have had bad luck pitching for 2 years. It's time for that to change. We need some big arms to come to school.

vCash
    Our pitching has been decimated by Tommy John. I've never seen so many arm injuries. We have had bad luck pitching for 2 years. It's time for that to change. We need some big arms to come to school.
    Carter Stewart, Cole Winn, and JT Ginn are big time arms. Stewart and Winn are 100% going pro. Maybe we can keep Ginn. I'm not sure if any of the other guys are going to be ready for SEC weekends.

vCash
    Wes Johnson is Arkansas problem now. It might happen, but I really don't see a rash of TJ's in our future. Cohen now knows how badly he ****ed up not just with Cann, but with letting Hendo take over. Listening tonight, he was about ready to jump out of that broadcast booth and relieve GH. We can trust Cohen for one more hire...and it better be a National Title, slam dunk type of hire. The New Dude is a HUGE bargaining chip... so let us not think ANY coach is out or reach.

vCash
    Carter Stewart, Cole Winn, and JT Ginn are big time arms. Stewart and Winn are 100% going pro. Maybe we can keep Ginn. I'm not sure if any of the other guys are going to be ready for SEC weekends.
    Yeah, I think Ginn is probably the only one to make it to campus. The new coach will have to be a magician for a couple of years with the pitching staff he will inherit. Good news is if it is a "home run" hire it won't take him long.

Banned
    vCash
    Can verify everything Maroonthirteen said....we looked like smurfs running around compared to Memphis players. Their starting pitcher had a 5.0 era to start the game....when he was taken out around the 6th, his era had dropped to 4.5 Nothing like mowing down MSU batters to help your era. We barely got a few ground balls past the pitchers mound until the top of the 7th. We have a few promising freshmen getting some PT, but other than that....we are woeful. I don't know how in the hell we even beat Ole Miss AT ALL. I've been watching MSU baseball since 1974 and this is the worse team I have ever seen. We may have had a worse record, but not a worse team. Even if we hired Buck Showalter, it's gonna take a couple years to turn this mess around.....unless we go out and sign a bunch of JUCO All American power hitters until we can start bringing in high schoolers who can get the job done.

vCash
    Yeah, I think Ginn is probably the only one to make it to campus. The new coach will have to be a magician for a couple of years with the pitching staff he will inherit. Good news is if it is a "home run" hire it won't take him long.
    I agree with Todd that we need to really get away from Juco recruiting. I'm ok with maybe 1 a year if he's a MS kid. So let's get out of that Juco rut and start stacking up some classes. That's one of the things I like about McDonnel, he doesn't recruit jucos. There are plenty of kids in MS, AL, GA, and TN to field championship caliber baseball teams.

vCash
    17 this season. I'm pro-life but this is nothing but a coat hanger late term abortion of a season. 17 this shit. this is pure bullshit. 17 me. 17 this season. Cohen do work. 17 Hendo. he can go 17 himself, I don't care how good uh pitching coach he is. 17 that dumbass. and yea, I'm pissed right now. please excuse me.
    Bully be like**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    We've got to reel in an elite coach to right the ship. Hopefully we do.
    We need more than an elite coach- we need an elite staff.

I think most of this falls on Cohen to be honest and it comes down to we have been taking way too many shortcuts to try to stay at a high level and while some of those shortcuts worked short term it's all coming back to roost now.

1. Bringing in way too many JUCO's and having a coach that evaluated them poorly. We need to get back to recruiting mostly high school players and we need to start to try to develop our own players rather than rely on JUCO coaches to develop them for us. The thing about it is there is zero reason for us to have to rely on them so heavily. Here's an example- Tim Tadlock is a former JUCO coach so you would think that he would be fairly sympathetic to JUCO players. He currently has six on his entire roster- one who started out at TCU. MSU has six in our current class alone. And unless Vansau and MacNamee are cut I fully expect them back next year and then you add in the JUCO pitchers assuming no one is cut in the offseason which I admit is a stretch but stay with me here- and we're talking about around 10 JUCO players out of 35 on the entire roster. When 25-30% of your team is JUCO players that's not good. We need someone that will find a guy like a Brent Rooker, a Hunter Renfroe, or a player with a comparable build and develop them over a period of 3-4 years.

2. We didn't realize that Wes Johnson was accelerating his program too quickly and it cost us a lot of arms. Velocity is a good quality to have but it much be done correctly. We need to go back to that type of program but instead of rushing through it we need to do it properly because what we are doing right now is limiting the ceiling of our pitchers. And that's not that good either.

3. We took a chance on Cann and unfortunately that blew up in our face. Not a lot anyone could do about it. Had we used Henderson as an interim last year though, we could have done a more proper search and gotten a much safer and qualified head coach which is essentially what we are trying to do now. Hindsight is 20/20.

4. We need to have better balance in our classes. I think some of that is from taking too many JUCO's that don't work out. When that happens, you have to play freshmen. We need to start trying to stack classes of about 15 high school players that get through the draft and process as necessary. If it works out you have every position covered with a veteran player and only the most talented younger players start. What we're doing is essentially the same thing that Jackie did with football. We simply can not afford to have a class with literally no high school pitchers in it like we did with our current group of freshmen. And the class before had almost no position players other than a catcher.

5. We need to hire the best baseball S&C guy. It seems to me like he gets his ass in gear after we have a losing season. And I'm pretty sure having a poor S&C program was a factor in our pitchers getting hurt as well. This is the main reason why we look "small". Because it's sure not a height issue.

vCash
    We need a staff with elite scout connections too.

vCash
    I agree with Todd that we need to really get away from Juco recruiting. I'm ok with maybe 1 a year if he's a MS kid. So let's get out of that Juco rut and start stacking up some classes. That's one of the things I like about McDonnel, he doesn't recruit jucos. There are plenty of kids in MS, AL, GA, and TN to field championship caliber baseball teams.
    We need to continue to get the best in Mississippi and the surrounding area. And then fill in with players from California, Florida, Georgia, and Texas. Sort of like football Louisiana is a sort of underrated area. I think Missouri and North Carolina are also underrated areas as well. Vandy has gotten a few guys from New England that are elite also.

vCash
    We need a staff with elite scout connections too.
    Absolutely! And an elite pitching coach.

In a perfect world you would have:

1. An elite pitching coach that is like a Derek Johnson who was at Vandy before going to MLB.
    2. A coach with big time scouting connections.
    3. A coach that can evaluate and project talent well.

Number three is a quality that could apply to 1 and 2 since we're only allowed to put two assistants on the road at any time.

Our head coach needs to be someone that has a good knowledge of advanced analytics and also has good baseball intuition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Absolutely! And an elite pitching coach.

In a perfect world you would have:

1. An elite pitching coach that is like a Derek Johnson who was at Vandy before going to MLB.
    2. A coach with big time scouting connections.
    3. A coach that can evaluate and project talent well.

Number three is a quality that could apply to 1 and 2 since we're only allowed to put two assistants on the road at any time.

Our head coach needs to be someone that has a good knowledge of advanced analytics and also has good baseball intuition.
    My big thing is a great hitting coach. I'm tired of this Punch and Judy garbage. How about some power!

vCash
    My big thing is a great hitting coach. I'm tired of this Punch and Judy garbage. How about some power!
    Dan Heefner baby. He is an awesome hitting coach.