Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State and the media

vCash

State and the media

Just a honest question, why do some of yall get so wound up or pissed off about what the media says about our sports teams? Esp in the offseason??

I get the passion and Im as passionate as anyone but damn folks. Going off on a twitter rant or a message board post is exactly what they are going for. And I guess Im doing it now but still. I mean how many years is it in a row where we were picked last in the west? IMO its always better to have the media down on you anyway. Bear Bryant used to tell the media how bad his teams were and you see how it works out. Saban does some of the same.

No media member has ever won or lost a ball game for MS State. Ever. When I was younger I was the same way, I would get infuriated and tune into Finebaum just to want to hear someone say something bad about MSU haha. But over time you learn it doesnt mean a damn thing.

Marcello is just one example, some members of the media will never pick us to do anything for something that has nothing to do with sports. Barrett Sallee and Booger McFarland are two more.

They dont want us to succeed and they never will. And thats fine with me. More fuel to the fire

vCash
    It's just for discussion. I like these media people calling State out because it gives me something to be mad about.

vCash
    I just don't understand why so many media people who aren't connected to MSU in some way have such a negative view of MSU. Heck, Marcello is a former beat writer. Then you've got people like Kellenberger, Talty, Sallee, etc. I certainly understand the ones with direct OM connections but not these others. What did we ever do to these people?

vCash
    win and you change views of your program. Finish 4-7 every year and it’s easy to follow the trend! I’m not as worried as I used to be about these preseason rankings, I’m worried about how are coaches and players do.

vCash
    4th through 7th in the West. We are like Miss, Ark ,A&M. We fill out the bottom part of the predictions every year. Got to win big to change future projections.

vCash
    The marshmallow crap goes beyond him picking us towards the bottom. He obviously dislikes MSU and the fan base. Most guys would let it roll off that Walker believes we win at least 9. They might say “best of luck. I just disagree.” But not Marshmellow. Marshmellow gets personal and then gets outraged when Walker doesn’t just back down and tries to get his work involved.

I personally have no problem with Marshmellow picking us to win 7 or 8. He might be right. I don’t think so but that’s his opinion. It crosses the line when he takes it to a personal level and starts attacking the fan base and our players.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    The 4-7 comment by dawcap got me thinking. When was the the last time we won 4 games? Been a while. My fifth grader wasn’t born yet I don’t think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    The marshmallow crap goes beyond him picking us towards the bottom. He obviously dislikes MSU and the fan base. Most guys would let it roll off that Walker believes we win at least 9. They might say “best of luck. I just disagree.” But not Marshmellow. Marshmellow gets personal and then gets outraged when Walker doesn’t just back down and tries to get his work involved.

I personally have no problem with Marshmellow picking us to win 7 or 8. He might be right. I don’t think so but that’s his opinion. It crosses the line when he takes it to a personal level and starts attacking the fan base and our players.
    Then he has the nerve to tell Walker to "get on his level". I'm like who are you?

vCash
    Read the follow up post where I explained the 4-7. I meant 4th- 7th in the West.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Then he has the nerve to tell Walker to "get on his level". I'm like who are you?
    Yeah he’s a beat writer for Auburn. I mean that’s good I guess but it isn’t exactly top of the line in sports media.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Just a honest question, why do some of yall get so wound up or pissed off about what the media says about our sports teams? Esp in the offseason??

I get the passion and Im as passionate as anyone but damn folks. Going off on a twitter rant or a message board post is exactly what they are going for. And I guess Im doing it now but still. I mean how many years is it in a row where we were picked last in the west? IMO its always better to have the media down on you anyway. Bear Bryant used to tell the media how bad his teams were and you see how it works out. Saban does some of the same.

No media member has ever won or lost a ball game for MS State. Ever. When I was younger I was the same way, I would get infuriated and tune into Finebaum just to want to hear someone say something bad about MSU haha. But over time you learn it doesnt mean a damn thing.

Marcello is just one example, some members of the media will never pick us to do anything for something that has nothing to do with sports. Barrett Sallee and Booger McFarland are two more.

They dont want us to succeed and they never will. And thats fine with me. More fuel to the fire
    It does matter though. Perception matters in recruiting and MSU people have allowed instate and out of state media to run down the perception of MSU, Starkville, and the state of Mississippi for entirely too long.

What you view as people worried about something that doesn't matter, I view as AT LAST the MSU fanebse is showing the pride and care quotient it takes to win big.

As a fanbase, we've never had a spine.

vCash
    My bad Dawgcap. I understand and misread the first post.

vCash
    It does matter but at the end of the day, on field results matter! If you polled 100 true Ms State fans our predicted record would be 9-11 wins this year. Now I’m not really a smart guy but if you polled 100 fans from other schools their perceptions would be different. Bottom line the experts are fans and the experts still have a lower expectation than we as fans do. We want better recruits we have to sell our awesome school and at the end of the day win games that matter. We are doing that each year and you are seeing that in recruiting battles and wins on the field.
    We will never be a media darling but that is a battle we will always fight! Change perceptions by winning and fan support!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg33 View Post
    My bad Dawgcap. I understand and misread the first post.
    No problem! I reread and said oh crap!! We are close to being really relevant. We are building something here and I love the ride. Been a fun last 5-7 years. Have a Jr daughter at State with a son in high school that only wants to be at State! I love where we are but I’m so excited for the future!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    It does matter though. Perception matters in recruiting and MSU people have allowed instate and out of state media to run down the perception of MSU, Starkville, and the state of Mississippi for entirely too long.

What you view as people worried about something that doesn't matter, I view as AT LAST the MSU fanebse is showing the pride and care quotient it takes to win big.

As a fanbase, we've never had a spine.
    I dont think showing we have spine and care about the game is arguing over what some obviously ignorant or just salty butt hurt former beat reporter for the CL has to say.

I think we've shown we cared by packing out the stadium and had close to a thousand people waiting for Moorhead to get off the plane.

MSU people cant do anything but what we've been doing. Ultimately its up to our programs to get it done

vCash
    Marcello has an ax to grind. He's a lazy human being (use that term loosely). There are a lot of worthless "media" in the world.

vCash
    People picking us lower than I think they should doesn't really bother me. It's often just lazy journalism but that is pretty widespread today. The Marcello thing was different though. He was just being a dick and made it personal with State fans. I found it comical that he thinks so highly of himself. Someone should probably tell him they don't award Pulitzers to Auburn beat writers.

vCash
    Yep.
    Last edited by Bulldog1; 04-18-2018 at 09:04 AM.

vCash
    In all of Dan Mullen's tenure, the media predicted State to finish either last place or second to last every single year except two: 2011 picked 4th and 2014 picked 5th. State finished one spot different than the media predicted in 7 of the 9 years (i.e. 2011 predicted 4th, finished 5th. 2015 picked 7th, finished 6th, etc.) The media was dead on his first 2 years, over-valued his 3rd year and under-valued his final 6 years. But the only time State finished higher at least 2 spots difference than predicted was 2014 (picked 5th, finished 2nd) and 2018 (picked 6th, finished 4th). They undervalue State a little bit, but like it was said, 8 of 9 years finishing 4th-7th. And that actually dates back to 2000: it's been 16 of 17 years finishing 4th-7th. In the 26 year history of the SEC West, State has finished in the top 3 five times: 1992 (3), 1994 (3), 1998 (1), 1999 (2), 2014 (2).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcap View Post
    win and you change views of your program. Finish 4-7 every year and it’s easy to follow the trend! I’m not as worried as I used to be about these preseason rankings, I’m worried about how are coaches and players do.
    We've been to 8 bowls in a row and have been number one longer than most SEC blue bloods like Tennessee since 2014. It's because we're from Mississippi and people don't like Mississippi for whatever reason.