Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O.T. Needs some quick good advice on English Bulldogs

Banned
    vCash

O.T. Needs some quick good advice on English Bulldogs

I was greeted this morning at 7.00 a.m. by a Big Bulldog when I opened my door. he was right there and it scared the shit out of me because he looks to be an English / Pit mix. I shut the door fast. then I opened it slowly and saw he was wagging his tail. he's as loving as he can be. I've posted several signs in the neighborhood saying "found Bulldog". if the owner calls of course he'll have to describe the dog before I let him come by and take him back.

My problem is I can't keep him but I've got to do what's best for him until I give him up. I know I can google this and prolly will in a little while but don't these dogs just eat once a day? I've already gone and gotten him one can of dog food.

I've also heard English Bulldogs have poor respiratory systems and you can't leave them out in the sun. When I took him to the vet earlier I had the AC cranked as high as I could and had it blowing right in his face but he was still panting his ass off. today will reach 83 or so here in Fort Worth. right now it's 79 and he's got shade (where he's napping right now) in the back yard.

We have 2 cats and once he saw them thru the window he went ape shit with the growling and barking. I remember some 30 years ago I had a pit bull that was as loving as all get out but the person I bought her from said don't let her around cats because she will kill it immediately.

If this dog was just an English, prolly wouldn't be that way but the pit in him says "must kill the cat".. so I can't let the big guy in the house.

hopefully the owner gets in touch with me soon. dog has a collar but no chip (that's why I took him to the vet earlier)

but any info any of you Bulldog owners can give me so I can properly take care of this big guy for the time I keep him would be greatly appreciated. and if any of you guys here in the North Texas area are looking for a dog, p.m. me. will be glad to show pics. but hopefully I get a call or text from the owner in the next 24-48.

Banned
    vCash
    Steal the neighbors dog and post a found dog message on ED

vCash

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I was greeted this morning at 7.00 a.m. by a Big Bulldog when I opened my door. he was right there and it scared the shit out of me because he looks to be an English / Pit mix. I shut the door fast. then I opened it slowly and saw he was wagging his tail. he's as loving as he can be. I've posted several signs in the neighborhood saying "found Bulldog". if the owner calls of course he'll have to describe the dog before I let him come by and take him back.

My problem is I can't keep him but I've got to do what's best for him until I give him up. I know I can google this and prolly will in a little while but don't these dogs just eat once a day? I've already gone and gotten him one can of dog food.

I've also heard English Bulldogs have poor respiratory systems and you can't leave them out in the sun. When I took him to the vet earlier I had the AC cranked as high as I could and had it blowing right in his face but he was still panting his ass off. today will reach 83 or so here in Fort Worth. right now it's 79 and he's got shade (where he's napping right now) in the back yard.

We have 2 cats and once he saw them thru the window he went ape shit with the growling and barking. I remember some 30 years ago I had a pit bull that was as loving as all get out but the person I bought her from said don't let her around cats because she will kill it immediately.

If this dog was just an English, prolly wouldn't be that way but the pit in him says "must kill the cat".. so I can't let the big guy in the house.

hopefully the owner gets in touch with me soon. dog has a collar but no chip (that's why I took him to the vet earlier)

but any info any of you Bulldog owners can give me so I can properly take care of this big guy for the time I keep him would be greatly appreciated. and if any of you guys here in the North Texas area are looking for a dog, p.m. me. will be glad to show pics. but hopefully I get a call or text from the owner in the next 24-48.
    My son and daughter-in-law have a Pit Bull as tough as they can get. He, the Pit Bull, currently lives with 5 cats. They all get along really well. My son introduced them, monitored them, worked with them until everyone was happy.

vCash

VERY true about respiratory problems. DO NOT leave them outside. I don't know if you have any other options to bring him inside and locked in a room. But 80 is too warm for a bulldog and runs a big risk of overheating. They are NOT outside dogs.

The aggression towards the cats is unknown..could be raised without any other animals..might have bad genes..or might just be a new environment. I can't give you advice on that.
    Any idea on his age? what did the vet say about his health. Is he is good physical condition.

One can of food is not going to be enough food for that dog unless it's a baby. one can usually equals for an 8lb dog.. and thats twice a day.
    Stick to food that has chicken in it..and if possible grain free. Bulldogs are known for problems with allergies. Chicken is the safest.

WOuld love to see some pics to see some idea of what you have... can maybe confirm if it's mixed or not.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    VERY true about respiratory problems. DO NOT leave them outside. I don't know if you have any other options to bring him inside and locked in a room. But 80 is too warm for a bulldog and runs a big risk of overheating. They are NOT outside dogs.

The aggression towards the cats is unknown..could be raised without any other animals..might have bad genes..or might just be a new environment. I can't give you advice on that.
    Any idea on his age? what did the vet say about his health. Is he is good physical condition.

One can of food is not going to be enough food for that dog unless it's a baby. one can usually equals for an 8lb dog.. and thats twice a day.
    Stick to food that has chicken in it..and if possible grain free. Bulldogs are known for problems with allergies. Chicken is the safest.

WOuld love to see some pics to see some idea of what you have... can maybe confirm if it's mixed or not.
    thanks Scooba, I just weighed the son of a bitch and he's 60 lbs. I'll go get a few shots now. will share in a few.

vCash
    thanks Scooba, I just weighed the son of a bitch and he's 60 lbs. I'll go get a few shots now. will share in a few.
    Thanks.. lots of pictures of angles of head. eyes, snout, wrinkles on face. What did you see that made you think pit?

Also... Tail? does he have a real tail? thats not an english if so..

Also panting in the car was possibly from excitement..not heat.
    He's napping in the shade.. Is he snoring. Tell tale sign of a bronchial breed.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 04-16-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Banned
    vCash

Banned
    vCash
    I'm starting to think mostly pit. he's just so 17ing heavy and low to the ground.

vCash
    Yea... that's defintly not a pure bully. the nose, face, and eyes...
    You are no longer allowed to be called a Bulldog fan..haha

Not a bully. should be ok outside in those temps

Banned
    vCash

Archimedes
    vCash

Could have been worse, you could have found a jungle cat in your hotel room bathroom.

vCash
    Looks like his ears have been trimmed. Looks like an Old English Bulldog mix. Maybe pit mix.

Banned
    vCash
    can you imagine how 17ing scared I was when I opened the door? I mean this 60 lb dog was right at the 17ing door. 2 feet from my ASS. I shut it so damn quick. I can't believe the mean looking son of a bitch is so loving though. dogs are amazing.

Banned
    vCash
    gotta go get some more dog food. just got off the phone with another vet. that one can I have him this morning and gonna cut it for this 60 pounder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Looks like his ears have been trimmed. Looks like an Old English Bulldog mix. Maybe pit mix.
    Not an olde english imo. looking at angle of chest, no wrinkles on head. Shape of head. hair looks to be longer also.

vCash
    When I first saw that I thought he'd bitten you.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    When I first saw that I thought he'd bitten you.
    LOL, when I first opened the door I yelled a "17!" so loud the neighbors prolly heard it as I was slamming the door. scared the shit out of me. at any rate, my wife just got a voice mail saying that dog gets out all the time over by the HOA pool. means he crossed a 4 lane thorough fair to get into my section. cars regularly cruise 45 mph. dogs lucky. I'm gonna go put one of my signs up over there.

Oh, and hanging out with this dog today reminds me how much I despise those who jerk off to dog fighting. those are indeed some sick 17's.

vCash
    Oh, and hanging out with this dog today reminds me how much I despise those who jerk off to dog fighting. those are indeed some sick 17's.
    I agree. Also, you are to be commended for all your efforts in finding his owner and caring for him in the interim. Kudos

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    I agree. Also, you are to be commended for all your efforts in finding his owner and caring for him in the interim. Kudos
    thanks 82. We've got the owner locked down now. this isn't the first time this dog's gotten out. our neighbor had to do the same thing with this dog. we've texted her but she's at work. pisses me she can't do a better job with her fencing. doesn't have a chip, no phone # on the collar. I've always had a soft spot for all animals. I even raised a baby boa constrictor back in my mid twenties that grew to 5.5 ft long. back then the frozen rats were not available and you had to stun the rat before you fed it to your snake to keep the rat from fighting and biting back. I grew to the point I could no longer hold those cute little white rats by the tail and knock up side the head with a spoon prior to feeding them to my snake. sold the snake for twice what I originally paid for him.

and I'm out $10 on dog food today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Absolutely. And based on the thread, I think 13 will be a new dog owner unless someone claims him. They're already becoming attached. He just may not know it yet.

Edit: I should have read the above post before ... but I still think they are attached. And I agree about the white rats.