Thread: The New Kicking Rule BLOWS

vCash

The New Kicking Rule BLOWS

So, thanks to the turds at the NCAA the ball can be fair caught from the 25 to the end zone and it's considered a touch back. Smart has already publicly said it's a bad move. Why recruit a lights out kicker that can hit between the 10 and the 5 every time when it's just gonna go to the 25. The advantage of pinning your opponent close to their end zone is now lost.

vCash
    It's Prussian, but I totally agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    So, thanks to the turds at the NCAA the ball can be fair caught from the 25 to the end zone and it's considered a touch back. Smart has already publicly said it's a bad move. Why recruit a lights out kicker that can hit between the 10 and the 5 every time when it's just gonna go to the 25. The advantage of pinning your opponent close to their end zone is now lost.

So much now for a kickoff team to try and pin a receiving team inside their own 10 t0 20 yard line. They may as well just do away with kickoff returns too? I wonder who the brilliant mind was that came up with this stupid rule change?
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 04-14-2018 at 11:29 PM.

vCash
    I don't think it is going to change much of anything. Hell they either run it or they don't. Most of the time you want to kick the ball out the back of the end zone anyways.

Banned
    vCash
    98 yd kick off returns are one of the most exciting things in football and it looks like this new rule will diminish the hell out of them. So I'm assuming they did this due to the # of injuries that occur? I've always thought the refs were too trigger happy with the flags on KO returns too.

vCash
    Controversial opinion, but I'm all for this rule change. Sure, the kickoffs won't be as exciting, but they account for 23.4 percent of all concussions (according to AP). I'll trade less exciting kickoffs for the health and safety of our boys any day.

vCash
    The game is slowly changing. In other words, slowly going away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    The game is slowly changing. In other words, slowly going away.
    I hope a way to save it is found. We've all known for a while that the kickoff is going away. I predict will evolve to a limited body area allowed to be hit. No way that the concussions pile up and nothing changes. Awareness of the issue makes liability certain. The great American game of Football is being forced to evolve. You're right that in twenty years or less, what happens on the field will be much different than it is now. It still could be great though. Some genius could figure it out. Perhaps Emory Bellard's great grandson will have a thought.

vCash
    If only message boards had existed back in 1906 when Theodore Roosevelt took it upon himself to change the rules of football to allow the forward pass. Imagine how big the meltdown would have been!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I don't think it is going to change much of anything. Hell they either run it or they don't. Most of the time you want to kick the ball out the back of the end zone anyways.
    Dang good point

vCash
    hey ... they don't have to fair catch it but I sure Mollen would have mandated it ... JoMo - we'll have to wait and see

vCash
    I believe this rule is for punt returns not kickoff.

vCash

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    If this is the new rule, they should at least change it to allow the kicking team to kick it out of bounds inside the 25 without penalty and the receiving team gets the ball where it goes out of bounds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Gotcha

vCash
    Eh I don't think it will change much. Alot of times balls caught at the 10-15 get brought out to the 30yd line+. Coaches are competitive and kids are competitive. A return man has a split second to decide if he should return the football or not and I think more times than not you will see the ball returned. You will still see dumb return guys everywhere that make poor decisions.

Now I do think this is slowly heading to no kickoffs and starting the ball at the 25 which will suck. There isn't anything like the atmosphere/energy right before kickoff.

vCash
    I'd like to see some stats to back that up. Most kicks to the 10-15 yard line are by design, pooch kicks, to get the coverage team down there in time to stuff them inside the 20.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post

Now I do think this is slowly heading to no kickoffs and starting the ball at the 25 which will suck. There isn't anything like the atmosphere/energy right before kickoff.
    It is a kind of ceremony. It will have to be replaced with a new ceremony of sorts.