Thread: Music you liked as a youngster but you now no longer like. and music you still liked

Banned
    vCash

Music you liked as a youngster but you now no longer like. and music you still liked

music you no longer liked and music you still like now that you are older. and music you like now that you never liked until today.

and music you now like now that you never liked in your younger days

Music I no longer like:

Foreigner: but I still like "juke box hero" because the concert referenced was a Stones show.

Journey: but I still like " Wheel in the Sky" ( a little) and "Lights" , "Faithfully", and "Stone in Love"..... maybe I like a little "Don't Stop Believing" (actually no, I really like that song a lot)

Styx: only like now "Come Sail Away".. everything else sux to me now

Ozzy and Black Sabbath: not as big a fan today as I was yesterday but "Flying High Again", "Crazy Train", "War Pigs" always gets cranked while driving down the
    roads of North Texas these days.

Music I grew up with and still dig:

THUGH! Stones

Zep

Beatles

Skynyrd

became an Elvis fan at age 26, still love him

Buffett

Elton John

Clapton

Rod Stewart

MS Delta Blues

Allan Bros

Stuff that I never liked before , but now I like"

Waylon Jennings

Hank Williams and I kinda like his son's music too even though I kinda latched on back in the day to "a country boy can survive" and "if the south woulda won"

Willie Nelson

Johnny Cash

George Strait ( Amarillo by morning is so damned awesome)

Nirvana.. I like a lot a few of their songs, "entertain us" "don't have a gun" a few others I can't think of

Live---that song "Lightening Strikes" is so 17ing awesome.

Wide Spread Panic, those guys rock

vCash
    Third Eye Blind. I'm sure there are three dozen others but that's the first one I thought of because I tried to listen to it this week for sake of nostalgia and thought it sucked now.

vCash
    The Eagles are band I've about quit listening to that I absolutely loved when I was 17-18. I would have given anything at the time to see them in concert (that was late 80s/early 90s) and they were broken up. When they came back, it was such an obvious cash grab with the first $100+ tickets I'd ever seen, I decided they weren't worth it. Their songs have been overplayed and gotten stale to me.

As I have gotten older, I've gained an appreciation for good country older (artists pre-Travis Tritt) and bluegrass.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Banned
    vCash
    can't stand Kansas these days, used to like them as a teenager. I always change channels when dust in the wind or carry on wayward son comes on.

The Eagles have become generic to me in my older years. I do like New Kid in Town, Take it to the Limit and still like the solo on Hotel CA.

Still crank it when Go your own Way comes on (Mic Fleetwood is incredible on the drums on that song IMO) but not as big a fan of Fleetwood Mac as I used to be.

Still like to crank it on a few old Aerosmith songs. their newer stuff could not suck any more than it does.

However, how many bands would go on "Unplugged" and play not one, but TWO songs that NEVER got ANY airplay?

Seasons of the Wither and One Way Street.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Music I liked back in the day that I either don't like at all or like less than I used to:

John Coltrane's post-A Love Supreme stuff -- I bought 'em all while on a mad jazz kick and have since parted with pretty much every one of them. A Love Supreme is so, so good, even if you don't really dig free jazz. But all that really far out stuff from his last few years after that record just isn't my bag at all these days.

Miles Davis' post-Bitches Brew stuff -- Like with the late Coltrane stuff, I was really into all of Miles' half-hour-a-pop acid-jazz crap from the 70s at one point. But now I just get bored with it.

Led Zeppelin -- I still like and listen to the Zeppelin records that I liked and listened to back in the day. (BTW, that never included the final two Zeppelin albums. I just never dug on Presence or In Through the Out Door. Still don't.) But not nearly as much as I did in, say, high school. The main culprit is probably Robert Plant's whole shtick (moaning, etc.) and the lyrical thrust of some of the blues standards they played. It just hasn't aged well for me.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion -- I used to love just about everything that band did. Now I only still have one of their albums, and even then I often skip over its tracks when they come up on my car's massive USB-stick shuffle.

The Wall -- As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm a Pink Floyd fanatic. A library of books about the band, all their albums (live and studio), most of the box sets and special editions, and a stupidly big record collection (which includes something like a dozen different pressings of Dark Side of the Moon). But after all these years, the album by them that has maybe aged the worst for me is the The Wall. I loved it in junior high and high school. And I still appreciate it when I listen to it now. But those listens have become less and less frequent over the years. I think I've slowly gravitated toward the late-60s/early-70s stuff, which is markedly different from The Wall. Now, I still like it way, way more than what came after it. But still, it doesn't occupy the same place in the pecking order as it once did for me.

Jam jazz (MMW and the like) -- I was never in to many contemporary "jam bands" but I did like MMW and some of their lessor-known regional clones. But it didn't stick. I haven't listened to any of that stuff in years.

Zappa -- My Zappa phase didn't take me too far. Maybe from the first record up to Apostrophe or Overnite Sensation. But now, I've parted with many of the ones I once owned and listen to the remainder only occasionally. I still appreciate it for what it is (and have also enjoyed some of his mid- and late-70s stuff that I never heard back in the day), but it's not something I listen to much.

I can't think of a ton of older stuff that I like now that I either didn't when I was younger or that I hadn't really heard until later. Here are the things that come to mind:

Pre-WWII blues -- Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Willie McTell, etc. I didn't hear any of that stuff until after grad school, and I didn't listen to anything remotely like it before then.

Bob Dylan -- I didn't care for his "hits" that I'd hear in high school on classic rock radio. That changed when I randomly bought a copy of Bringing it all Back Home when I was in college. It didn't take long for me to become a huge fan of the first decade or so of his career.

Old timey string music -- I don't know that I ever heard much old-time fiddle or banjo back when I younger, but I'm guessing that I wouldn't have liked it much. I'm not in love with the stuff now, but I do enjoy it (especially live).

Galaxie 500 -- I don't recall hearing them when I was younger, but I don't think I would've liked them if I did. One day in the past decade or so I randomly listened to Today at a listening station at Grimey's in Nashville and was instantly hooked.
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 04-17-2018 at 12:02 PM.

vCash
    Prediction? Pain. I see you have purchased a butt-load of music in your life. I have as well. Spotify is great but also pisses me off for all the money I've spent purchasing albums over the years because I do not listen to anything but Spotify now....there's no use.

vCash
    That I used to like but don't anymore:
    Bruce Springsteen Now just sounds like an old guy who smoked too much. Plus what part of Shut up and sing doesn't he understand

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post
    Prediction? Pain. I see you have purchased a butt-load of music in your life. I have as well. Spotify is great but also pisses me off for all the money I've spent purchasing albums over the years because I do not listen to anything but Spotify now....there's no use.
    I'm in y'alls "spent a ton on music" boat too. Especially when I was at State. My best friend and I virtually lived at BeBop and became friends with the staff, and there was so much good stuff coming out from late 1991-1994 that we just gobbled up everything we could - not to mention buying up cheap back catalog stuff that was being re-mastered for CDs.

I haven't jumped on Spotify yet. My daughter keeps telling me I need to.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

If you're a music fan, you should get Spotify. I think the only artist I've come across that isn't on there is Garth Brooks. You can listen to absolutely anything, as much as you want to. If you have Amazon Prime, I'm pretty sure you can get their unlimited streaming music service for about $3 more per month. Or you can listen to their limited streaming music that comes with Prime but they don't have every single song you want.

Just for you - I heard a country music cover of "Straight to Hell" the other day, haha (you can also listen to Spotify via free service with commercials) https://open.spotify.com/track/390e32GgRYSICVNb6dH0Co

vCash
    I went through a big KISS phase when I was a kid.....

They suck....and Gene Simmons is a sociopath, lol.

vCash
    I'm in y'alls "spent a ton on music" boat too. Especially when I was at State. My best friend and I virtually lived at BeBop and became friends with the staff, and there was so much good stuff coming out from late 1991-1994 that we just gobbled up everything we could - not to mention buying up cheap back catalog stuff that was being re-mastered for CDs.

From the time I was in high school until I finally had a real job-type job some 15 years or so later, almost all of my disposable income went to buying music. New, used, CD, record, cassette, box sets, etc. And when I worked in a record store for a few years in college, I was like a junkie working a methadone clinic.

Weird to think about how different it is now. It's a shame in some respects, too. Digging through record and CD bins, listening to stuff while you shop for other stuff while you carry on goofy conversations about obscure music with record-store clerks, and then ending up with some random thing that wasn't even on your radar when you walked through the door is hard to replicate online, I think. Sure, the access now is infinite -- I can hear whatever I want to pretty much whenever. But getting there is a solitary, insular experience. And what lies at the end isn't a thing I can hold and flip through as I listen. It's a super-compressed, subscription-based stream. So strange.

Not that I don't take advantage of it. Spotify is worth a look, Brunswick. The database is enormous. The only artist I can think of off the top of my head whose entire catalogs aren't available are the Spacemen 3. (Oh, an Sonic Boom/Spectrum of the Spacemen 3.) Every other album from every other artist from every other genre that I've looked for has been there. The free version is ad-supported and only lets you play shuffled radio stations for artists or songs that you like (similar to what I remember of Pandora) if you're playing stuff via your phone or app-based device (like a Roku stick or something). But the free version for desktop computers is fully functioning, so I can play any song off any album I want to. There are fairly frequent ads between songs, but if you manually select a new song before an old one is over, the ads don't seem to pop up. Again, it's compressed as hell compared to a CD or record, but if you're listening over computer speakers, the lower quality isn't really apparent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    a real job-type job
    I may be reading too much into this otherwise commonplace statement, but are you quoting Mr. Blonde here, by chance?**

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I went through a big KISS phase when I was a kid.....

They suck....and Gene Simmons is a sociopath, lol.
    I went thru my KISS phase too at age 15. the only songs I now like are Detroit Rock City and I Wanna Rock n' Roll All Night

Gene Simmons a sociopath? I think he's cool, why you say that?

vCash
    If you're a music fan, you should get Spotify. I think the only artist I've come across that isn't on there is Garth Brooks. You can listen to absolutely anything, as much as you want to. If you have Amazon Prime, I'm pretty sure you can get their unlimited streaming music service for about $3 more per month. Or you can listen to their limited streaming music that comes with Prime but they don't have every single song you want.

Just for you - I heard a country music cover of "Straight to Hell" the other day, haha (you can also listen to Spotify via free service with commercials) https://open.spotify.com/track/390e32GgRYSICVNb6dH0Co
    Dude, youre killing me! I'm sure that country version is 20x better than the original. Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I may be reading too much into this otherwise commonplace statement, but are you quoting Mr. Blonde here, by chance?**
    It wouldn't surprise me if I am. I'm usually cognizant of the main sources of my extensive, sophisticated cultural references -- I'm like a sad, 21st-century version of James Joyce; you could probably annotate my diction as extensively Finnegan's Wake, only you'd have to swap out footnotes to Shakespeare, Aristotle, and Milton with references to the Simpsons episode "Lemon of Troy," George Costanza's entire lexicon, and pretty much everything uttered ever by anyone on the British series Peep Show and Spaced -- but I really don't know if I got "job-type job" from Reservoir Dogs. Let's just say I did. Because I'm super cool.*

vCash
    It wouldn't surprise me if I am. I'm usually cognizant of the main sources of my extensive, sophisticated cultural references -- I'm like a sad, 21st-century version of James Joyce; you could probably annotate my diction as extensively Finnegan's Wake, only you'd have to swap out footnotes to Shakespeare, Aristotle, and Milton with references to the Simpsons episode "Lemon of Troy," George Costanza's entire lexicon, and pretty much everything uttered ever by anyone on the British series Peep Show and Spaced -- but I really don't know if I got "job-type job" from Reservoir Dogs. Let's just say I did. Because I'm super cool.*
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Exactly. So-Crates Johnson knows.

vCash

vCash
    Exactly. So-Crates Johnson knows.
    So - off topic - but the Costanza lexicon reminded me. In 2015, i left my job of 15 years without having a new job. I was due 4 1/2 months pay in accrued leave, and wasnt worried about finding a new job in that time frame. I called it my "Summer of George". I sent out resumes or interviewed in the AM, went surfing or fishing, did handy projects, picked up the kids from school, drank bourbon and smoked cigars after lunch. I highly recommend it if you can ever swing it. Found a job within 3 months, and was the most refreshed i had been since graduating high school.
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    So - off topic - but the Costanza lexicon reminded me. In 2015, i left my job of 15 years without having a new job. I was due 4 1/2 months pay in accrued leave, and wasnt worried about finding a new job in that time frame. I called it my "Summer of George". I sent out resumes or interviewed in the AM, went surfing or fishing, did handy projects, picked up the kids from school, drank bourbon and smoked cigars after lunch. I highly recommend it if you can ever swing it. Found a job within 3 months, and was the most refreshed i had been since graduating high school.
    That sounds glorious. But here's the question: Did you drape yourself in velvet and eat huge blocks of cheese?