Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bo Bounds Just Doesn't Get It

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I disagree. Mullen needs to have the superior talent to win consistently. He will not out talent fsu or Georgia, which is a certain death sentence at Florida.
    In that comparison sense, yeah, he probably won't. But remember, he put together at least one MSU team talented enough to challenge for the playoff, you have to think he'll do the same at Flarrda, with a higher resting pulse when it comes to talent

I think he fails at Flarrda because, while he'll likely challenge for the SEC, he'll fail to sign those 1-3 difference makers, like he always did, and will get stupid in big games

That said, no one knows the future, and maybe he wakes up, fires the CC, delegates playcalling and hires some high level crooters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    In that comparison sense, yeah, he probably won't. But remember, he put together at least one MSU team talented enough to challenge for the playoff, you have to think he'll do the same at Flarrda, with a higher resting pulse when it comes to talent

I think he fails at Flarrda because, while he'll likely challenge for the SEC, he'll fail to sign those 1-3 difference makers, like he always did, and will get stupid in big games

That said, no one knows the future, and maybe he wakes up, fires the CC, delegates playcalling and hires some high level crooters
    Maybe if they gave him time to do that and I think that's going to be the problem. Along with everything else you mentioned.

I think when the rubber meets the road they are going to force him to do something about the country club and that's where it's going to get interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post

I'm giving you reputation for the florida spelling. No idea why you spell it like that, but I find it amusing

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think joe is proving to be a better recruiter than Mullen; but the fact we are looked at here as a true potential sec west champ this season really craps on the Mullen is a garbage recruiter theory
    THINK he's gonna be better? I know it's early but I'm of the opinion Joe has already proven he IS better than Mullen in recruiting. Mullen had a good eye for the diamonds and he and his staff did a good job developing those diamonds. Mullen and his staff just simply didn't have the personalities and work ethic to bring in as many highly ranked players that MSU is capable of bringing in. No sales skills whatsoever. and I think Joe is currently proving that.

vCash
    I think a lot of people think Mullen will do much better at Florida because the same approach and scheme should win more at UF than State.

I think he will be moderately more successful in wins but will perceived as doing worse.

He will benefit from having a better platform to recruit, and should have better talent at hard to recruit positions like cornerback and offensive tackle. Over time he may be able to parlay this into more wins.

But not a lot more wins. His offensive scheme puts players in defined roles. At State this meant coaching up mostly mid-level recruits to a role they were capable of performing at a high level to make a whole that is more than the parts. At UF if he does attract high level recruits he will be putting them in the same roles but a 5 Star will feel limited vs their full potential. It will seem like a while that underperforms it parts when weighed against higher expectations. And he does not scale or adapt his offense that well. Dak had 0 300 yard games his sophomore year and only 1 300 yard game the magical 2014 season.

The result is we mostly controlled games that were winnable, we played fairly poorly from behind and consistently got our doors blown off by elite teams. In so doing, the offense is consistent rushing but there will very rarely be an elite passer and the wide receivers will have modest numbers while holding down significant blocking responsibilities.

State fans were thrilled with this. I don?t think UF fans will be very happy.

I do not see how he gets to the 10 wins a year he needs to keep his job there.
    Last edited by Walkerhill; 04-14-2018 at 05:20 PM.

vCash
    I would rather have a better evaluator and developer than a recruiter if I have to choose. There is a reason people can simultaneously say his recruiting was disappointing and yet we won plenty and feel like he left a full cupboard.

He is an outstanding evaluator and developer.

The big programs require all 3 traits though. State fans were pretty accommodating of his talk about his own rating system and being a developmental program and all that. Smart money says he will miss us soon. Doubt we miss him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Just saw this tweet of Bobo defending Mullen's recruiting and it's literally a point made to confuse stupid people.

https://twitter.com/bobounds/status/985236782273966080

Yes, Mullen improved MSU's composite recruiting ranking 10 spots from when he took over till when he left and overall, yes Mullen did a great job at MSU.

However, insinuating that Mullen is a good recruiter because he improved a 3-5 win program's ranking 10 spots when he was winning 7-9 a year, seems disingenuous at best.

That's like saying a port-a-John is better than a hole in the ground. Yes, it's true that a porta-a-John is a better place to take a dump than a hole in the ground, but it doesn't mean that a port-a-Jon is a good place to take a dump. When succeeding Croom, average recruiting and coaching was bound to raise the level of our program. Furthermore, Mullen additionally benefits in this debate because recruiting rankings didn't exist when Jackie was winning and recruiting fairly well at MSU. Mullen took advantage of a situation that was without precedent because no one could compare his success to anyone's else's at MSU.

It's clear to anyone with a brain, that, while Mullen did a great job and built a solid foundation, his laziness on the recruiting trail limited the ceiling of MSU's program. There is no denying it and MSU fans should never let it happen again.
    2 points. 1. Does Bo not realize comparing anything to the incompetence of Croom is ridiculous? and 2. Does Bo not realize how much the prestige and money of the SEC has risen over the last 10 years? I would dare say that MSU's recruiting profile could have risen 10 spots during the time Mullen was here even with him being an average recruiter (which Mullen and staff were).

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I'm almost positive Bo is drunk as shit today. He has been retweeting and tweeting about Florida for the entire day. His obsession with Mullen has reached stalkerish levels. Some people have brought up to him that it's weird and he is just doubling down on it. It's weird how much he is talking about the guy in April.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I'm almost positive Bo is drunk as shit today. He has been retweeting and tweeting about Florida for the entire day. His obsession with Mullen has reached stalkerish levels. Some people have brought up to him that it's weird and he is just doubling down on it. It's weird how much he is talking about the guy in April.
    Bo is just using a good business model. Talking about the last guy causes a reaction from the fanbase. It's the same reason he talked about Freeze all season. It gets fans riled up, those fans call to tell him he's an idiot, & opposing fans listen to get good laughs out of that fanbase. Either way Bo wins Bc his show is being listened to & talked about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Bo is just using a good business model. Talking about the last guy causes a reaction from the fanbase. It's the same reason he talked about Freeze all season. It gets fans riled up, those fans call to tell him he's an idiot, & opposing fans listen to get good laughs out of that fanbase. Either way Bo wins Bc his show is being listened to & talked about.
    Plus here it is on ED, Bo wins, never listened to him and never will.

vCash
    As was pointed out earlier, Croom didn't exactly leave to cupboard completely bare. He left some good players. I wonder if Croom had access to the ESPN money that Mullen had, would his recruiting have been comparable to Mullen's. I doubt it, but he may have been able to hire some assistants who were good recruiters. Pure speculation with no point what-so-ever.

vCash
    I live in east Tennessee so i have no access to Bo Bounds show. All I know of Bo is what I read here. We need for Swami to chime in here. "Who is this Bo Bounds person that you speak of?" Swami where are you.

By the way, even though I grew up in Mississippi and know that "Bo" is the generally accepted form, the correct spelling is "Beau".

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    His obsession with Mullen and telling people that we will be lucky to win more than 7 games successfully got me to quit listening to his show for the past couple of weeks. Maybe it's working for him with others. Once it gets closer to football season I will try his show out again. Hopefully it will be played out by then.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgPoundtheRock View Post
    I live in east Tennessee so i have no access to Bo Bounds show. All I know of Bo is what I read here. We need for Swami to chime in here. "Who is this Bo Bounds person that you speak of?" Swami where are you.

By the way, even though I grew up in Mississippi and know that "Bo" is the generally accepted form, the correct spelling is "Beau".
    are cell phones available in east TN?

vCash
    Bo also thought Sumlin was the next big thing just a few years ago.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Bo also thought Sumlin was the next big thing just a few years ago.
    to be honest, I have no idea what caused Sumlin's demise at A&M. I thought it was a grand slam hire. what the 17 is going on down there in south TX confuses the shit out of me. just like in Austin. it's a total WTF mystery at both places.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    to be honest, I have no idea what caused Sumlin's demise at A&M. I thought it was a grand slam hire. what the 17 is going on down there in south TX confuses the shit out of me. just like in Austin. it's a total WTF mystery at both places.
    I am beginning to think that Texas HS athletes are overrated. I don't understand how they can sign so
    Many 4 and 5 star players and be so bad at A&M and Texas. Culture is a problem, but even with that if the recruiting rankings are correct you should just outtalent a lot of people.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I am beginning to think that Texas HS athletes are overrated. I don't understand how they can sign so
    Many 4 and 5 star players and be so bad at A&M and Texas. Culture is a problem, but even with that if the recruiting rankings are correct you should just outtalent a lot of people.
    over rating the TX HS players has to be the answer. to say Sumlin is not HC worthy just does not pass the smell test in my opinion. The guy Austin , TX fired is a good coach too in my opinion.

Banned
    vCash
    Dan Mullen was big into work-life balance. It's nice that he valued family...that said, we were paying him $5 million a year to coach our football team.

He tries that "work-life balance" shit in Florida, especially after getting mangled by Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida State, it'll be brick-throwing time in Gainesville.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    Dan Mullen was big into work-life balance. It's nice that he valued family...that said, we were paying him $5 million a year to coach our football team.

He tries that "work-life balance" shit in Florida, especially after getting mangled by Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida State, it'll be brick-throwing time in Gainesville.
    I wonder how Tennessee will be under Pruitt.