Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bo Bounds Just Doesn't Get It

Banned
    vCash
    Texas Alums and Aggie Former Students have too much sway in who a coach recruits. Because some 4 or 5-* is the favorite player of some big-money booster, the player cares more about what the booster says than what the coach says.

Mack Brown was successful because he could schmooze with the boosters with the best of them, and make everybody happy. Neither Kevin Sumlin nor Charlie Strong could do the same thing. Jimbo Fisher appears to be a gladhander, and A&M should be better.

Another thing is- Texas high school football players are so well-coached that many of them peak in high school. Whereas some 4 or 5-* player in Mississippi or Alabama is subjected to 1950's-era practices and offenses, even the dinky Texas High schools have sophisticated strength-and-conditioning programs, player development, coaching, and scouting. Thus, many Texas players don't improve all that much between High school and college.

Texas is a huge offense State. Their best players are on offense. They put many of the weaker players on defense, and finesse is much more valued than hard-nosed grit. In Mississippi, it's the exact opposite- many schools put their best players on defense, and are tougher than nails when they get to college.

There was a reason Bear Bryant had such a brutal Training camp at Junction- Bear Bryant was a poor Arkansas boy, who played at Alabama, and coached at Kentucky, and he saw that the players were soft-many of them had football scholarships because their daddies had scholarships and were given one because of nepotism. Bear saw that and wanted to change the culture.

Not all Texas players are soft- TCU has always had hard-nosed defensive teams, and many Texas players who go elsewhere (like Oklahoma) are tougher than nails.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    Dan Mullen was big into work-life balance. It's nice that he valued family...that said, we were paying him $5 million a year to coach our football team.

He tries that "work-life balance" shit in Florida, especially after getting mangled by Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida State, it'll be brick-throwing time in Gainesville.
    Joe Moorhead is a great family man from all accounts. Mullen was just lazy as shit recruiting on top of being arrogant and not having a good personality. You can have a great home/work balance and still put work into recruiting every day. It doesn't take that much time to contact prospects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I hate to defend Croom but we were on probation for the first part of his tenure and he had been out of college for well over a decade when we hired him. By the end of his tenure he had pulled some nice players like Pegues and Anthony Dixon and he beat Hugh Freeze out for Robert Elliott. One of Dan's two best teams in 2010 was built pretty much with Croom recruits.
    Not to mention during his time we played the top five toughest schedule in the country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think joe is proving to be a better recruiter than Mullen; but the fact we are looked at here as a true potential sec west champ this season really craps on the Mullen is a garbage recruiter theory
    2018 is a year where everything lined up perfectly. The true story of mullen's inconsistency and laziness in recruiting is 2019, when we will be thin/young at multiple spots. He has recruited poorly at oline, receiver, and defensive back. While we have quality LBs, we lack depth there.

I think Moorhead is much more proactive at recruiting for need and going after the best prospects instead on just relying on developmental guys.

Mullen deserves credit for most of the talent on the roster in 2018, and he will likewise deserve blame for the youth and inexperience we will have in 2019.

I think Moorhead is a massive, massive upgrade from Mullen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I am beginning to think that Texas HS athletes are overrated. I don't understand how they can sign so
    Many 4 and 5 star players and be so bad at A&M and Texas. Culture is a problem, but even with that if the recruiting rankings are correct you should just outtalent a lot of people.
    They aren't overrated. I just think Texas players are soft for the most part. The most popular offense in high school there is the big 12 spread, wide open offense. It's a finesse offense...the opposite of smash mouth. That translates well to Oklahoma and Texas, but it's not very sustainable against the grind of the SEC. That's my opinion anyway.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    They aren't overrated. I just think Texas players are soft for the most part. The most popular offense in high school there is the big 12 spread, wide open offense. It's a finesse offense...the opposite of smash mouth. That translates well to Oklahoma and Texas, but it's not very sustainable against the grind of the SEC. That's my opinion anyway.
    if they are soft, they are overrated.

vCash
    I think we have routinely underestimated Mullen, because of POOR OLE MSU SYNDROME. He was ours so he had to suck. It doesn't matter now and I could care less, except when they face us. Time will tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    I think a lot of people think Mullen will do much better at Florida because the same approach and scheme should win more at UF than State.

I think he will be moderately more successful in wins but will perceived as doing worse.

He will benefit from having a better platform to recruit, and should have better talent at hard to recruit positions like cornerback and offensive tackle. Over time he may be able to parlay this into more wins.

But not a lot more wins. His offensive scheme puts players in defined roles. At State this meant coaching up mostly mid-level recruits to a role they were capable of performing at a high level to make a whole that is more than the parts. At UF if he does attract high level recruits he will be putting them in the same roles but a 5 Star will feel limited vs their full potential. It will seem like a while that underperforms it parts when weighed against higher expectations. And he does not scale or adapt his offense that well. Dak had 0 300 yard games his sophomore year and only 1 300 yard game the magical 2014 season.

The result is we mostly controlled games that were winnable, we played fairly poorly from behind and consistently got our doors blown off by elite teams. In so doing, the offense is consistent rushing but there will very rarely be an elite passer and the wide receivers will have modest numbers while holding down significant blocking responsibilities.

State fans were thrilled with this. I don?t think UF fans will be very happy.

I do not see how he gets to the 10 wins a year he needs to keep his job there.

In 2015, Dak had 6 games with 300+ passing yards & 1 over 500 yards (@Arkansas) and finished the season with 3793 passing yards & 39 TD?s as Dan transitioned our offense from ground and pound to ?Air It Out?.

Dak also had over 30 pass attempts in all but 1 game where he played more than 1 series.

WR Fred Ross finished the 2015 season with over 1000 receiving yards (1007) & 7 total TD?s.
    WR De?Runnya Wilson finished the 2015 season 918 yards & 10 receiving TD?s.

Just saying........

vCash

Theory

QUOTE]Mullen is an adequate recruiter but his misses are just unexplainable, they fall right through his hands - Cam, CJ Johnson, Whitehead, Raekwon, Lashley, Knott, AJ, etc[/QUOTE]

Crazy control freaks hate asking for things. They like to have the outcome known prior to asking for anything. With recruiting you must communicate with alumni and *ask* for support, or do it all yourself if you are Freeze et al., Mullen was arrogant and would not be bothered.

Mullen is also hyper competitive and hates to lose. Have a cycle or two of him and Hevesy?s superior efforts on the books with OleMiss swooping in to steal kids with excessive cash at the last second......and you have Mullen pouting and quitting and providing lists of excuses.

Those two things, coupled with his winning personality, defined his recruiting. Coffee is for closers only.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Here's the thing about Mullen- how good would we be with AJ Brown, Scott Lashley, and Cam Akers? I think Joe lands at least two of those three and probably more. Dan gave up on Akers because he didn't want to have to try to mend fences or work around his head coach so he just made up some BS about how Kylin Hill and Akers didn't like each other.

We did well in recruiting on the defensive side of the ball and that's because Dan's best non country club guys were on that side of the ball.

So, while we're good that doesn't mean that we're reaching our ceiling.
    Im glad Mullen is gone and Joe is doing well but we were never getting Cam Akers and AJ Brown was a long shot. Along with what OM gave him the kid just wanted to go somewhere else other than starkville for 4 years. Lashley shouldve been a lock and is a perfect example of why Dan is Dan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I think we have routinely underestimated Mullen, because of POOR OLE MSU SYNDROME. He was ours so he had to suck. It doesn't matter now and I could care less, except when they face us. Time will tell.
    He didnt want to be here. He wasnt giving us 100 percent and we gave him anything he ever asked for. When Cohen became AD he knew the gravy train was over so he dipped out like a thief in the night.

He was committing to other jobs on the week of our biggest game multiple times. What else would he have had to do for you to say we needed to move on?

Mullenites have no one to blame but themselves when yall were all proven wrong. Danny two gloves fleeced us. He got by. Bare minimum effort bc he thought thats all we deserved.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    He didnt want to be here. He wasnt giving us 100 percent and we gave him anything he ever asked for. When Cohen became AD he knew the gravy train was over so he dipped out like a thief in the night.

He was committing to other jobs on the week of our biggest game multiple times. What else would he have had to do for you to say we needed to move on?

Mullenites have no one to blame but themselves when yall were all proven wrong. Danny two gloves fleeced us. He got by. Bare minimum effort bc he thought thats all we deserved.
    Liverpool will never believe that Keenum gave Two Gloves an ultimatum. Even though MK said this in front of me in the stadium walking from gridiron up to his box. It was the next home game after the USA loss I. Shorts. This was also corroborated by another person I have known for years in the AD.

It?s the same reason Loafers started shopping himself for jobs that same time. Not to mention Two gloves hiring Sexton right after this intense conversation.