Thread: Costa Rica Hikes

vCash

Costa Rica Hikes

Currently headed home from Costa Rica (Manuel Antonio, Jaco & Arenal) and figured I would share some of the hiking that we did.

Manuel Antonio National Park

The morning after we arrived, we headed straight to Manuel Antonio National Park. The crowds can get a little heavy later in the day, so we arrived shortly after the 7am park opening. There?s a bus that runs from town and Quepos to the public beach near the park entrance. It was 350colones/pp (~$0.62) to ride the bus and came right by our AirBnB about every 15min. We weren?t far from the park, but the roads have almost no shoulder, so the bus was easier than the 20min walk to the park. The entrance fee is $15 for foreigners.

Once in the park, you will immediately begin to see some great wildlife and plants. We saw capuchin monkeys, howler monkeys, 2 and 3 toed sloths, agoutis, raccoons, WT deer, coatis, countless colorful birds and many others that I?m sure I have forgotten.

There?s two main beaches in the park. The first that you come to from the entrance (Playa Manuel Antonio) is the prettier of the two, but gets crowded at times. We went straight there to get some pictures and enjoy the water before the crowds arrived. We also walked the other (Playa Espadilla) and it was much less crowded, but still a great beach.

Below is an assortment of pics - all from Manuel Antonio.

vCash
    La Fortuna Waterfall

The La Fortuna Waterfall isn’t so much of a hike, per se, but it was a pretty tough 500 steps back up!

vCash
    Arenal Volcano

Arenal is an active volcano and one of the youngest in Costa Rica. It’s also the largest and provides some excellent scenery. We stayed at a hotel, right at the base of the volcano, for our last 2 nights. The resort has several of it’s own trails that were much better than expected. They have everything from easy/paved trails to tough ones that have tree roots for steps. We hiked all of them, but the 2 smaller loops that were closed for whatever reason. It’s not a huge amount of trails, but the scenery makes up for it. There’s also a farm on the property.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Not seeing the pics. Maybe try to re-post? Sounds awesome, though.

vCash
    Weird. They?re showing up for me still. I?ll check it again in a bit.

vCash
    Freaking awesome stuff. Looks like a blast. How bout them roosters?

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    There they are. Damn. Outstanding.

Are there reefs near the beach for snorkeling or diving?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    How bout them roosters?
    That was the highlight of the trip for me. I?ve wanted to catch roosterfish for a long time and finally got a chance. I?ll be back for them in a kayak some day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Are there reefs near the beach for snorkeling or diving?
    Not really. This was all on the pacific side and the waves/current can get pretty rough. I assume the Caribbean side would be better for snorkeling/diving.

vCash
    Real cool Speck.

Im going to Costa Rica in January to an eco lodge on the Osa Peninsula. Looking forward to the hiking there.

vCash
    awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.