Thread: Wildflowers, waterfalls, and whisky - Happy Birthday to me!

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash

Wildflowers, waterfalls, and whisky - Happy Birthday to me!

My annual birthday hike was postponed last week due to that job thing that I've got to have, but it turned out to be a blessing. The conditions yesterday were incredible -- sunny, mild (upper 40s to upper 60s), solid water flow, and one of the most incredible displays of spring wildflowers I've ever seen.

I hiked the Laurel-Snow State Natural Area, which houses a segment of the Cumberland Trail just outside of Dayton, TN, which is most famous for being the location of the Scopes trial. (The original courthouse is still there, too. Worth a quick stop if you're in the area.) The parking lot for the trail is right at 50 minutes from downtown Chattanooga.

I'll have to do two sets of pics since the wildflowers were so nuts. First, the scenic stuff:

This is a feeder stream within a minute or two of the parking lot with cascades trailing back up the side of the gorge. There's actually a huge waterfall up top way back in the pic that's not very easy to see.

Entrance to an old coal mine. This place was home to a big coal operation in the late 19th century, so there is interesting 150-year-old stonework all over the lower parts of the trail.

Richland Creek, which is the main stream that the trail follows for its first mile or so. If you do some googlin', you can find some gnarly videos of kayakers doing their thing on this creek in high water.

A cascade on Laurel Creek, which feeds into Richland Creek.

Photo and video of the area's main attraction, the massive Laurel Falls.

Crossing a series of three 50-foot bridges over Henderson Creek.

Once you cross the creek, you hike up the other side of the gorge. Here's the final part of that ascent, which passes through a break in the bluffs at the top of the gorge.

Another half mile or so gets you to a rock outcropping that's at the point of a ridge. There's a small bridge over a deep, dark chasm right before the forest breaks.

And finally you're at Buzzard Point, which offers a stellar 300-degree view.

And then on the way home and again that evening, I indulged in a couple Tennessee staples.

(Dr. Enuf is to east Tennessee what Cheerwine is to western North Carolina, I guess. Sorta like a mix between Sprite and Mountain Dew (but with vitamins!). (Fun fact: it's made by the company that invented Mountain Dew. They made both Dr. Enuf and Mountain Dew back in the day, then sold the latter to Pepsi.))

I'll try to get to the pics of the wildflower display later. It was nuts.

vCash
    Awesome. That?s such a beautiful area. I wish it wasn?t such a haul to that scenery from the MS Coast.

I?ll make a post on a few hikes I?ve done this week, though the scenery is a little different in style.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Awesome. That?s such a beautiful area. I wish it wasn?t such a haul to that scenery from the MS Coast.

I?ll make a post on a few hikes I?ve done this week, though the scenery is a little different in style.
    Dude, you should. Costal stuff is awesome, and the flora and fauna is so much different than the stuff I see all the time. I'm especially jealous of the boating and flat-water kayaking options y'all have.

vCash
    Now for the wildflowers.

The spring bloom in the mountains and gorges around here is always awesome. The diversity of species is crazy, as is the sheer number of flowers blooming all at once before the tree canopy drapes the forest floor in dense shade.

The scene this week, though, was one of the best I've ever seen. I don't have the gear or skills to get lots of wide-angle shots showing huge swaths of the forest, which is lame because that's really a big part of the vibe you get when you're hiking.

There were several species whose pics were too blurry, and several others that aren't quite so photogenic. So I'll just post a smattering of what was there.

Three trillium species, followed by a poor attempt to capture a big patch of the white/pink ones:

Fire Pink:

Dwarf crested iris:

Wild geranium:

Two species of bellwort:

White baneberry:

Jack-in-the-pulpit:

And some tiny mushroom-and-moss action right at the edge of a cliff: