Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hats off for our friends at Loyola....

vCash

Hats off for our friends at Loyola....

They made the Final Four. Our two schools will forever be linked by the Game of Change. Well done!

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    They made the Final Four. Our two schools will forever be linked by the Game of Change. Well done!
    We'll try anything to get on those coattails won't we?*
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    We'll try anything to get on those coattails won't we?*
    I saw the sarcastic, but I'm genuinely happy for them. They are a part of our history, and a very good part at that. I hope they win it all

vCash
    No doubt K State shot there wad on Kentucky, but Loyola is playing a high level game. Hope they win it all as well!

vCash
    There's an 11 seed in the Final Four, and if FSU can beat Michigan there'll be a 9 seed. Has that ever happened before?

Still two 1 seeds left, and they play a 2 and a 3.

vCash
    Sister Jean doesn't appear to be a big fan of Charles Barkley. And she's not afraid to say so. More people should be that way. I don't think that was the answer they expected.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Sister Jean doesn't appear to be a big fan of Charles Barkley. And she's not afraid to say so. More people should be that way. I don't think that was the answer they expected.
    Missed it. What happened?

vCash
    I hope Loyola wins it all!

Banned
    vCash
    There's an 11 seed in the Final Four, and if FSU can beat Michigan there'll be a 9 seed. Has that ever happened before?

Still two 1 seeds left, and they play a 2 and a 3.
    11 seed VCU made it the year 8 seed Butler played in the championship game. VCU played in the first four that year and made it to the final four. That was an awesome team Shaka Smart had. The world got introduced to Havoc defense.

Banned
    vCash
    can someone splain the sister Jean/ Barkley deal?

vCash
    1963 the year of 'The Game of Change' was the last time and only time Loyola won the NCAA championship.

" Loyola defeated the all-white team of then-segregated Mississippi State by a score of 61–51, a game especially notable because the Bulldogs defied a state court order prohibiting them from playing against a school with black players."

Banned
    vCash
    LOL Sister Jean and Charles Barkley

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/watch...kes-final-four

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    1963 the year of 'The Game of Change' was the last time and only time Loyola won the NCAA championship.

" Loyola defeated the all-white team of then-segregated Mississippi State by a score of 61–51, a game especially notable because the Bulldogs defied a state court order prohibiting them from playing against a school with black players."
    I was pretty young back then, but I use to listen to Jack on the radio doing those games in the very early 60's. I've been told by many Msu elders that the 63' team wasn't our best or most talented team. I think we had a team prior that could have won it all, not sure of the year but they were like 24-1 and beat Kentucky twice and they won it all.
    Msu didn't hold the other teams back from going to the Ncaa, how bout the Governor and the legislators who were mostly OM folks. Just saying.

Banned
    vCash
    I was born in '63 while my dad was at State. I remember him telling me how good we were back then. does anybody know how many times we were denied the opportunity to play post season back then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I was born in '63 while my dad was at State. I remember him telling me how good we were back then. does anybody know how many times we were denied the opportunity to play post season back then?
    I was around then but young, and all I seem to remember is that we and Vanderbilt and maybe LSU, were pretty much the basketball teams of the SEC. There was no such thing as a 3-pointer, no shot clock (so a team could "freeze" the ball), no dunks allowed, no Alley Oops, and the players were long and gangly, not musclebound like they are now. It was a completely different sports world ... more finesse and less bull-in-the-China-shop. And Yes, OM was good at football but not really recognized national champions except maybe by the Mississippi media.

I don't remember how many opportunities we passed on to go to the NCAA events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I was pretty young back then, but I use to listen to Jack on the radio doing those games in the very early 60's. I've been told by many Msu elders that the 63' team wasn't our best or most talented team. I think we had a team prior that could have won it all, not sure of the year but they were like 24-1 and beat Kentucky twice and they won it all.
    Msu didn't hold the other teams back from going to the Ncaa, how bout the Governor and the legislators who were mostly OM folks. Just saying.
    I was also quite young then, but it seems to me like we were better in basketball in the late 50s than we were into the 60s. I know we weren't all that great by the time I started school in 65, but honestly I went to very few games.

Regarding your bolded statement ... yes, I suspect most of the politicians were from OM since they have the law school and most politicians are lawyers. However, the separation of black and white was the law, and support of that particular law was pervasive in the state, in the south, and had been in much of the nation up until not long before that. So you can't really blame OM for that. In today's terms there would be just as many racists from MSU as there were from OM ... that's just the way it was in the state, that's the way people were raised, and it seemed natural to those who grew up that way. And it hadn't been long since that was a pervasive attitude nationwide. Most of the NFL teams were all white, for example.

Banned
    vCash
    I was around then but young, and all I seem to remember is that we and Vanderbilt and maybe LSU, were pretty much the basketball teams of the SEC. There was no such thing as a 3-pointer, no shot clock (so a team could "freeze" the ball), no dunks allowed, no Alley Oops, and the players were long and gangly, not musclebound like they are now. It was a completely different sports world ... more finesse and less bull-in-the-China-shop. And Yes, OM was good at football but not really recognized national champions except maybe by the Mississippi media.

I don't remember how many opportunities we passed on to go to the NCAA events.
    seems like I remember listening on the radio with my dad around '78 or so and I think we were playing KY. we used that "stall tactic" to beat them that night.

would be interested to know when the shot clock was implemented, 3 point line and dunks became allowed. I remember watching that national championship game as a youngster with my dad when Memphis State played UCLA with Bill Walton. wasn't there some grumbling as to whether or not Walton was dunking in that game?

vCash
    Back then I think only the SEC champion went, and there was no SEC Tourny. I believe we were denied the chance 3 times.

vCash
    I was also quite young then, but it seems to me like we were better in basketball in the late 50s than we were into the 60s. I know we weren't all that great by the time I started school in 65, but honestly I went to very few games.

Regarding your bolded statement ... yes, I suspect most of the politicians were from OM since they have the law school and most politicians are lawyers. However, the separation of black and white was the law, and support of that particular law was pervasive in the state, in the south, and had been in much of the nation up until not long before that. So you can't really blame OM for that. In today's terms there would be just as many racists from MSU as there were from OM ... that's just the way it was in the state, that's the way people were raised, and it seemed natural to those who grew up that way. And it hadn't been long since that was a pervasive attitude nationwide. Most of the NFL teams were all white, for example.
    Wasn't really saying OM was at fault, I do know our team and Babe wanted badly to attend the NCAA tourney, asked for permission to go and that is when the Gov and legislator's denied us. It took guts for our President and Babe to sneak out of Starkville, actually our team was in a bad situation as for as trying to get ready to play and win a game. Just imagine the pressure they were under and no way on God's green earth could they have been 100% prepared to play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Back then I think only the SEC champion went, and there was no SEC Tourny. I believe we were denied the chance 3 times.
    I think only 8 teams were invited, like I stated earlier we beat Ky twice and won the Sec championship only to be denied attending the tournament. Most don't really understand how good our program was under the great legendary Babe. Btw, back then I was an OM fan but pulled for Msu every game except one but I didn't hate Msu if they won which they did once or twice, lol.