Thread: Last Team Standing

vCash

Last Team Standing

Something I just realized with the results from last night.

How many of you would have predicted before the season that on 3/23 the only SEC Men's BBall team still competing in post season play would be us?

I do not care that it is the NIT. This is fun. It is still basketball season in Starkville, doubly so because of the women.
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post

How many of you would have predicted before the season that on 3/23 the only SEC Men's BBall team still competing in post season play would be us?

I do not care that it is the NIT. This is fun. It is still basketball season in Starkville, doubly so because of the women.
    Yeah I agree. It's nice to continue seeing us play. And here's what I like. We've had 2 road games against NCAA Tournament bubble teams and 3 games against P5 teams. Now we get to play another P5 team in Madison Square Garden in the Final Four of the NIT. This team has stepped up and is playing in tough venues and getting great postseason experience. And now with us being the only SEC team left playing we get that coverage. We are the last SEC team folks will be talking about plus we get a good national stage. And that's nice for our program, even if it's in the NIT.

This playing time means something and these kids are maximizing the opportunity. If we can make it to the finals of this thing that would be huge.

vCash
    How many women teams are still competing?

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    How many women teams are still competing?

Texas A&M, South Carolina, and us.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I am loving this show!

Banned
    vCash
    I can understand a fan of a blue blood program downplaying the significance of the NIT but not us. try and tell one of our men right not that the NIT is not that big of a deal. I'm sure we know what their response would be. they are having fun and playing well and I'm proud of this NIT run they are making.

Banned
    vCash

While that's kind of cool, not having a SEC team make it past the Elite 8 is disappointing, especially when all the talking heads said the SEC was greatly improved this year. I think Auburn got torpedoed when their big center was lost for the season. They immediately became average without him. KY was still too inexperienced. UT should have gone farther, but got upset. Florida should have done better too. We should have traded places with Arkansas......would have done better. Results sort of took the shine off our conference.

vCash

Amen, Well said!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bull View Post
    While that's kind of cool, not having a SEC team make it past the Elite 8 is disappointing, especially when all the talking heads said the SEC was greatly improved this year. I think Auburn got torpedoed when their big center was lost for the season. They immediately became average without him. KY was still too inexperienced. UT should have gone farther, but got upset. Florida should have done better too. We should have traded places with Arkansas......would have done better. Results sort of took the shine off our conference.
    There wasn't an Elite 8 team in the conference this year. Lot of Top 50 teams though. And you saw it every night. Upper echelon SEC teams would get blown out or lose at home to a team they shouldn't. Bottom of the league would beat a team from the top of the league. Lot of that in the league this year because most everyone was the same. I think it spoke volumes that we had every single team in the NCAA Tournament between a 3 seed and a 9 seed. No 1's, no 11's. Everyone within a couple spots of each other and you never knew what you would be in a grind every single night.

And that was the next step the conference was going to take. We were not good as a conference two years ago. We are now. But when the whole league elevates, it takes a year or two for that to normalize into a pattern. Next year will be more telling of the long term future of the league than this year was.