Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Evidence that Dan was shopping himself before the Egg Bowl

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDawg View Post
    It definitely shows Mullen's head was in other places on the night of the Egg Bowl. Coach Moorhead's offense will be like chess versus Dan Mullen's checkers. That being said, Mississippi State has finished above .500 in the conference exactly ONE time in the last 18 years. I believe Moorhead is the guy to take us to that "next level" but it is still a monumental task.
    I feel like Dan underachieved a lot because he was looking around. I feel like a coach that is more focused will indeed take us to the next level. If he has any kind of focus we beat Ole Miss twice at least at home.

vCash
    Do you understand hyperbole?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ababyatemydingo View Post
    I think it's a gentleman's agreement that an AD will get permission from the other AD before talking to a coach. Either this didn't happen with Mullen, or Cohen is a dumbass for letting him shop before the season was over. I don't think Cohen is a dumbass. I seem to remember Stricklin saying that he talked to Cohen before talking to Mullen. And that he and Mullen talked either the day before or day of the EB. Also seem to remember Cohen saying that Mullen told him a while back that he was looking to get out this year. So that Cohen could begin putting out his feelers. Maybe Cohen was done with him, had his guy in Moorhead, and just told Mullen "f it, do whatever you want".
    If I remember correctly Cohen offered Dan an extension after we beat A&M and he wouldn't take it so Cohen started looking. That's why our search happened so quickly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    If JoeMo has instant success and most talking heads believes he will, someone from the B10 will come after him. It just depends on what school and how much he values going back north over coaching in the SEC. But I'm not worrying about it......just going to enjoy whatever success he has here.
    With RPO's becoming a big thing in the NFL and Bellichick having no idea how to stop them we may have to worry more about the NFL than the Big 10. Especially if Joe is as intelligent as I think he is on first impression.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Where is liverpool and all the mullenties???????

You were all fooled
    We are supporting the new coach and not worrying about the ex coach. My only two comments about those days (and days to come most likely):1) If we have a successful coach there will always be rumors (some factual and some not) about him leaving until the program reaches elite status. There probabaly will be then too. If we want to be successful we better get used to it. 2) Why start and spread those rumors ourselves?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    We don't know... all depends on if Coach Joe believes he can recruit and win big at State, AND if he and his family like living in Starkville. I don't believe DM ever liked living in little ole Starkville. Friends that still live in Starkville never saw him out eating and being social, which I always thought was odd. When I lived there I always saw Rockey & Jackie Wayne out and about. We were always a stepping stone for Mullen but it just took longer for him to find another job.
    He may not have liked living in Starkville much but he did get out. My family has ran in to him on several occasions at either restraunts or at the grocery store.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If I remember correctly Cohen offered Dan an extension after we beat A&M and he wouldn't take it so Cohen started looking. That's why our search happened so quickly.
    I think you're right. My memory is fuzzy. Was just trying to remember several different articles from that time. I thought i remembered reading somewhere that Dan gave him a heads up that he felt he had done all he could do here, and that he'd be looking around, so that Cohen could begin with his feelers. Maybe that was a quote from Cohen to sugar coat it, and not make it look as bad on Mullen as it was. i don't know

vCash
    17 yankee

Banned
    vCash
    I'm not going to hit the link because it'll just piss me off more than I am right now. and I, like everybody else by now , knows it was going on. 34 schooled the hell out of many of us on this shit way back when including my self.

my football memories go back to '69 when I was 6 yrs old sitting in my small chair and desk listening to us beat tsun while Archie was on the sideline with a cast. For the 1st time in my life, we actually had a HC leave for another job instead of being fired. being ranked # 1 for 5 weeks, blowing out MI in the gator bowl, the most lobsided egg bowl win in our history. I think these things are more significant than the # of .500 SEC seasons we've had in the last 20 years.

In my opinion, a new day has arrived for MSU football. we now have a proven HC who seems to have way more character and integrity than Mullen. I'm excited to see what happens now that we have replaced the country club with a HC and staff that's got some work ethic and sincerity about their jobs. JO MO had a sweet gig he left to come down here. I'd be willing to bet he analyzed the hell out of the move prior to saying "I do" to Cohen. I think JO MO knows he's got a gig that he can succeed at . no way he leaves Penn State to come down here if he didn't have a good idea about what he could accomplish in StarkVegas.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-23-2018 at 12:10 PM.

vCash
    A history of Dan Mullen:

2009 - 100% Dan - we are respectable, hard nosed, 5-7, 1 play away from an LSU upset and a bowl and a BS holding call against Houston that negated a touchdown from possibly even better.

2010 - 100% Dan - 9-4 - and a BS 1st spot by AU and a BS illegal forward pass call vs. Arky away from 10-2 regular season.
    Late 2010 - Dan blows Miami interview because "he thinks he invented football"

2011 - Sulky Dan 50% - 7-6 - Stuck where he doesn't want to be, gets hosed again by Auburn, gives up season until realizing he has to beat OM to make a bowl. Kicks OM ass to make bowl.

2012 -Pissy Dan 85% - 8-5 - Dan realizes to get interviews this year, he needs to win. 7-0 "We believe". Starts looking, shits bed against Bama, LSU, A&M, OM. Losses job offers. Really gives no shits in Gator as Russell throws 2,000 INTS in a winnable game with Dak on the bench.

2013 - Sulky Dan 50% - 7-6 -Stuck again, Dan looks clueless in OSU opener trying get Russell killed running read option. Hosed again by BS against Auburn, Dan gives up but Dak wills us to enough wins to make a Bowl and 7-6.

2014 - Rockstar Dan 90% - 10-3 - Dan realizes he has all the tools he needs to make a run at a new job and "nobody knows what is about to take this field" - Team whips holy ass and becomes #1. Dan puckers up at Bama and becomes Sulky Dan for rest of season. Shits bed against Ole Miss and GT. Dan gets no job.

2015 - Check Down Dan 75% - 9-4 - Dan figures he can turn Dak into an NFL star. Does so, but cares about only that and getting a new job. A kick against LSU away from another 10 win season. Dan starts looking late, and a Bama loss, a lucky win vs Arky, and an OM shit show ensue.
    Dan gets stuck in Stark again after Richt snakes Miami from him.

2016 - Bitch Dan 25% - 6-7 - Dan gives so few shits hires Sirmon and he can't decide on a QB. Locker room splits. Some fans think Fitz is prettyboy/gay/party boy with no heart and leadership, Staley is a clown, and Dam Williams is the future. Fitz shows everyone who's boss, wills us to 5 wins, and our GPA saves us for a bowl and win 6.

2017 - Judas Dan 85% - 9-4 - Dan realizes he has a power running game and another future NFL QB but actually needs a defense. Gives everyone wood by hiring Grantham and adding JUCO talent. Dan puckers up against UGA and AU, but they are damn good. Coaches best game against Bama and almost wins. Is determined to get out and almost loses to a terrible Arky team, then is dreaming of orange creamsicle and blue tick hounds while OM plays one of the dirtiest games in history. Dan wakes up sometime in the 4th quarter and starts calling plays again but by then it's too late. Scott Stricklin phones a friend after being laughed at by everyone else, and Dan ****s him for way too much money.

-fin-
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-23-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    good stuff Brunswick.

vCash
    I noticed Dan's work ethic and his inability to care about the job he had in Starkville when we played Russel almost all season with the future face of the program sitting on the bench. It really came to a head for me when we were down 3-0 at halftime to UAB in 2011.

vCash
    Just think, one day there will be a thread just like this one about Joe Moorhead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    A history of Dan Mullen:

2009 - 100% Dan - we are respectable, hard nosed, 5-7, 1 play away from an LSU upset and a bowl and a BS holding call against Houston that negated a touchdown from possibly even better.

2010 - 100% Dan - 9-4 - and a BS 1st spot by AU and a BS illegal forward pass call vs. Arky away from 10-2 regular season.

2011 - Sulky Dan 50% - 7-6 - Stuck where he doesn't want to be, gets hosed again by Auburn, gives up season until realizing he has to beat OM to make a bowl. Kicks OM ass to make bowl.

2012 -Pissy Dan 85% - 8-5 - Dan realizes to get interviews this year, he needs to win. 7-0 "We believe". Starts looking, shits bed against Bama, LSU, A&M, OM. Losses job offers. Really gives no shits in Gator as Russell throws 2,000 INTS in a winnable game with Dak on the bench.

2013 - Sulky Dan 50% - 7-6 -Stuck again, Dan looks clueless in OSU opener trying get Russell killed running read option. Hosed again by BS against Auburn, Dan gives up but Dak wills us to enough wins to make a Bowl and 7-6.

2014 - Rockstar Dan 90% - 10-3 - Dan realizes he has all the tools he needs to make a run at a new job and "nobody knows what is about to take this field" - Team whips holy ass and becomes #1. Dan puckers up at Bama and becomes Sulky Dan for rest of season. Shits bed against Ole Miss and GT. Dan gets no job.

2015 - Check Down Dan 75% - 9-4 - Dan figures he can turn Dak into an NFL star. Does so, but cares about only that and getting a new job. A kick against LSU away from another 10 win season. Dan starts looking late, and a Bama loss, a lucky win vs Arky, and an OM shit show ensue.

2016 - Bitch Dan 25% - 6-7 - Dan gives so few shits hires Sirmon and he can't decide on a QB. Locker room splits. Some fans think Fitz is prettyboy/gay/party boy with no heart and leadership, Staley is a clown, and Dam Williams is the future. Fitz shows everyone who's boss, wills us to 5 wins, and our GPA saves us for a bowl and win 6.

2017 - Judas Dan 85% - 9-4 - Dan realizes he has a power running game and another future NFL QB but actually needs a defense. Gives everyone wood by hiring Grantham and adding JUCO talent. Dan puckers up against UGA and AU, but they are damn good. Coaches best game against Bama and almost wins. Is determined to get out and almost loses to a terrible Arky team, then is dreaming of orange creamsicle and blue tick hounds while OM plays one of the dirtiest games in history. Dan wakes up sometime in the 4th quarter and starts calling plays again but by then it's too late. Scott Stricklin phones a friend after being laughed at by everyone else, and Dan ****s him for way too much money.

-fin-
    100% spot effing on!!! Bravo.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-23-2018 at 12:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    A history of Dan Mullen:

-fin-
    This.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-23-2018 at 12:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    He may not have liked living in Starkville much but he did get out. My family has ran in to him on several occasions at either restraunts or at the grocery store.
    After a couple of 7-5/8-4 seasons they won't be able to go to the grocery store in Gainesville.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Just think, one day there will be a thread just like this one about Joe Moorhead.
    If Joe is as big of a douche as Dan Mullen then there should be.

But Joe's personality thus far does not suggest that.

On another related note: We will be lucky to keep Joe for five years. Those five years will be special.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 03-23-2018 at 12:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Huge difference in leaving a school for another job and pimping urself out year after year after year and not being all in .. and some still wonder why Dan recruited so poorly and we played like shit down the stretch a couple of years.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I feel like Dan underachieved a lot because he was looking around. I feel like a coach that is more focused will indeed take us to the next level. If he has any kind of focus we beat Ole Miss twice at least at home.
    Fair point, but really it has to be done within the first two years. Mullen was laser focused up through the 2010 season. Had he landed Cam Newton he probably would have won himself a new job at that point, most likely Florida.

Moorhead now has that opportunity again. He will be super focused at least in 2018 and 2019.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Absolute 17ing BS by Mullen imo.

I think Mullen is an excellent football coach that MSU only got about 85% out of due to him always trying to leave and never devoting 100% of himself to the task at hand.

This is what is so frustrating about our place in the college football universe.

Not only do we have to battle programs with greater resources, we have worry if our head coach is willing to commit fully to the task.

How do we know JoMo will?

How do I know that JoMo just views MSU as a gateway to an NFL job or a Big 10 job?

The answer is we don?t. I just can?t help but wonder how much more Mullen could?ve done if he was fully invested.

Shameful
    Mullen will always be known as the guy who could do a lot but could not close the deal. Losing Cam Newton should have alerted us of this right out of the gate