Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Evidence that Dan was shopping himself before the Egg Bowl

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    There is no skewing he sucked it up big time during those years. It is exactly what it is. Your making excuses. His entire body of work is less than Mullen.
    Actually it looks the same at worst even if you include his last three seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Ok - so if you focus on Top 25 only, Dan still had almost as many T25 wins in fewer seasons. The difference is we were playing 4-5 T25 teams a year under Dan and only 2-3 a year under Jackie. It created a perception of fewer Big Wins under Dan.

And before you go there - yes, 10 of those losses were in Jackie?s last 3 seasons. But, 2 of those wins were in season 10 of 13 - which Dan didn?t have here. So factoring that in, comparing 9 v 9 - Jackie was 7-24 and Dan 7-33. Dan played a far tougher schedule and had the same # of Top 25 wins as Jackie.
    The thing about it is PERCEPTION is everything in football. It's WHO you beat. And Dan finishing up the year poorly in his best seasons other than 2010 hurt that big time. The fact of the matter is if we go 12-1 but that loss is to Ole Miss it's not going to be seen the same as a 12-1 season with a loss to Auburn.

And about Jackie having the same amount of wins in the top 25 despite playing fewer games against top 25 teams shows that he was better because he was beating a top 25 team essentially one out of every four times (rounded to make the numbers pretty whereas Dan did it one out of every five times (rounded to make the numbers pretty)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Who do you expect us to lose to beside Alabama? I think we have a good chance of surprising them in Tuscaloosa.

Losing to South Alabama was another big shortcoming. And not playing Fitz but 3 plays to start the game. The entire season was a disaster.

What happened to screw up Dak's senior day? I assume a loss to Ole Miss?
    I don't expect us to lose to anyone other than Alabama. I could see us getting beat potentially by Auburn, LSU on the road, maybe A&M and Arkansas become better with better coaches? Who knows?

South Alabama to me was everything wrong with Dan Mullen rolled into one game.

Dan was trying to get the Miami job and had interviewed in person in Miami while he gave the team the day off. It wasn't just the loss- it was what exacerbated it. We came out flat and Dan didn't look like he gave a shit. And then followed it up postgame with "we outscored them in the second half."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Dan was trying to get the Miami job and had interviewed in person in Miami while he gave the team the day off. It wasn't just the loss- it was what exacerbated it. We came out flat and Dan didn't look like he gave a shit. And then followed it up postgame with "we outscored them in the second half."
    Not to mention that Egg Bowl was for a trip to the Sugar Bowl. Instead of getting a relatively easy matchup with Okie State and ringing cowbells on Bourbon Street, we got the Belk in Charlotte.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkman Turner Overdrive View Post
    Not to mention that Egg Bowl was for a trip to the Sugar Bowl. Instead of getting a relatively easy matchup with Okie State and ringing cowbells on Bourbon Street, we got the Belk in Charlotte.
    Exactly. Which would have been a potential program changer on a National level especially one year coming off of the Orange Bowl. And actually it was two years in a row where a loss cost us a Sugar Bowl bid.

vCash
    The thing about it is PERCEPTION is everything in football. It's WHO you beat. And Dan finishing up the year poorly in his best seasons other than 2010 hurt that big time. The fact of the matter is if we go 12-1 but that loss is to Ole Miss it's not going to be seen the same as a 12-1 season with a loss to Auburn.

And about Jackie having the same amount of wins in the top 25 despite playing fewer games against top 25 teams shows that he was better because he was beating a top 25 team essentially one out of every four times (rounded to make the numbers pretty whereas Dan did it one out of every five times (rounded to make the numbers pretty)
    I think that's only true in the state of Mississippi. A loss to Auburn is more forgiveable on a national level because they're the better of the two teams, and are peceived that way. Honestly, to me the OM game is just another important conference game. I'd much rather beat Alabama. It all depends on where you live and what you're exposed to on a daily basis.

vCash
    I don't expect us to lose to anyone other than Alabama. I could see us getting beat potentially by Auburn, LSU on the road, maybe A&M and Arkansas become better with better coaches? Who knows?

South Alabama to me was everything wrong with Dan Mullen rolled into one game.

Including the shorts.

Let's not forget to throw in the two UMass games. We almost lost the first one, and looked terrible in the home game.

I really liked Dan when he was with us, and think that he contributed immensely to our football program. Yes, we overpaid him, but we had to. He gave us new hope, and that's sticking with us. Coming off Croom, he was a godsend. If he'd only left in a more respectable way ....

vCash

We also lost a trip to Atlanta under Sherrill by losing to Arkansas on a missed chip shot field goal, in the snow, sleet, and mud. Went to Shreveport instead, and got snowed on again. At least we won that one. Sherrill also lost to Troy State. I guess all coaches will lose a seemingly unlosable game at some point.

vCash
    I think that's only true in the state of Mississippi. A loss to Auburn is more forgiveable on a national level because they're the better of the two teams, and are peceived that way. Honestly, to me the OM game is just another important conference game. I'd much rather beat Alabama. It all depends on where you live and what you're exposed to on a daily basis.
    I don't think so. See Michigan-Ohio State. Georgia-Georgia Tech. Florida-Florida State. Heck, if you are the coach at Jackson Prep you have to beat JA. The rivalries are what make football fun- but for it to be fun for your fans you HAVE to beat your rival. To me, the Egg Bowl isn't just another conference game. It is THE most important game. The bottom line is we beat them- it's good for us and bad for them. If you are a coach you have to know who your rivals and are you have to beat them at least somewhat regularly. Even Alabama winning the National Title this year- having lost to Auburn takes some of the luster off of it at least a little bit. For us to be the best school in the state- we have to beat them in football. That's not obsession- that's just the reality of the situation.

vCash
    We also lost a trip to Atlanta under Sherrill by losing to Arkansas on a missed chip shot field goal, in the snow, sleet, and mud. Went to Shreveport instead, and got snowed on again. At least we won that one. Sherrill also lost to Troy State. I guess all coaches will lose a seemingly unlosable game at some point.
    I'd say it's acceptable once every 10 years. Jackie was not good in that regard. We tied Arkansas State before OT existed. Also lost to ULM, Louisiana Tech, Troy, and Tulane. And the one time he beat Troy it was such a bad performance most consider it a loss.

vCash
    I'd say it's acceptable once every 10 years. Jackie was not good in that regard. We tied Arkansas State before OT existed. Also lost to ULM, Louisiana Tech, Troy, and Tulane. And the one time he beat Troy it was such a bad performance most consider it a loss.
    Oh yeah, I enjoyed Jackie being our coach. He wasn't good from 2001 onward, but I think his wife was sick. Hard to believe we replace him with Croom though. But as bad as he was, Croom beat Alabama twice, and one of those was Saban if I recall correctly.

vCash

You are right, football is about PERCEPTION - which is why I said I push back on the perception that Jackie was a better Big Game coach. The facts show he beat the same number of Top 25 teams in 9 seasons. He won a higher percentage of Top 25 games, but he also faced 1 less Top 25 team per season. The fact is at either of their %, I'd rate both of them as being pretty bad against Top 25 teams.

And if PERCEPTION is about who you beat, it is also about who you lose to. Jackie constantly, annually, lost to shit teams. '91 - Memphis (5-6); '92 - LSU (2-9), USC (5-6); '93 - Memphis (6-5), LSU (5-6), Arky St tie (2-8-1); '94 - LSU (4-7); '95 - LA-Monroe (2-9), USC (4-6-1); '96 La Tech (6-5), Kentucky (4-7), Arkansas (4-7); '97 - Arkansas (4-7); '98 - OSU (5-6), LSU (4-7); '99 - none; '00 - Arkansas (6-6); '01 - Troy (7-4); '02 USC (5-7); '03 - Tulane (5-7), Kentucky (4-8). For all his faults, Dan lost a total of 1 game like those in 9 seasons, while Jackie had 1 season where he didn't lose to some random crap team. For all the "perception", tell me what losing to teams like that does to your reputation.

vCash
    First question in the postgame press conference after Florida plays at Mississippi State: Do you think the Mississippi State players were extra motivated by the fact you were texting about other jobs the night before the Egg Bowl? Do you believe they viewed this as betrayal on your part?

vCash
    Thats when I was ready for Mullen to go. Sugar Bowl on the line and he is working a deal to be Miami's next coach. Maddest I've been about a State loss in a long damn time
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDawg View Post
    First question in the postgame press conference after Florida plays at Mississippi State: Do you think the Mississippi State players were extra motivated by the fact you were texting about other jobs the night before the Egg Bowl? Do you believe they viewed this as betrayal on your part?
    ''Ahhhh yeahhh wellllll we were kinda herky jerky defense really let us down. We outscored them in the 3rd quarter''