Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Evidence that Dan was shopping himself before the Egg Bowl

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Not to go down this rabbit hole so you can pat your back some more, but you still don't get it. The majority were just saying how your timing sucked not that you were definitely wrong. Just had to be the first with the bad news. Don't see any agenda accusations in those threads. Maybe I missed some of the back story?
    agenda was the word used by Liverpool, 7, and others when they didnt like what I was saying about Mullen. I supposedly had some type of crazy agenda aagainst him
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Groupthink is not the best thing for MSU in any sport. See MSU baseball circa 1992-2008.

Not to mention how silly you look now. Ranging from "Who could we possibly get that's as good as Dan Mullen?" Answer- one of the top OC and offensive minds in all of college football with a guy that Tennessee hired and is one of the best recruiters in the country who knows the Nick Saban system basically begging for our job who WE turned down. That's right- TENNESSEE had to hire a guy we didn't want. To "Dan Mullen to Maryland isn't true".

It's good to support the program- but high standards must be maintained. And if a coach isn't maintaining those standards whether it be wins/losses, recruiting, looking for jobs indiscriminately or whatever the case may be- that coach should be called out on it rather than blindly defended. There's a big difference in support and sticking your head in the sand.
    If I think the negative outweighs the positive I'll go after a coach. Mullen did a LOT for MSU, and anyone who says otherwise is just either stupid, bitter, or had a personal grudge. Now that he is gone I see no need to defend him. I thought he had faults too, you would be surprised. I just didn't voice them when he was our coach. If he had started losing I would have. He never really did so I defended him. The only group think I see is in this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    There's nothing you can defend. You were wrong as usual.
    Ok 34, you win. He is gone now so I don't care. Enjoy. You know if JoMo is successful the rumors will start again. I for one certainly hope so.

vCash
    He got interested in Maryland because UnderArmor was supposed to pump some money into the program. The owner is a Maryland guy or something like that. He wanted the Miami and Georgia jobs badly. His AD buddy couldnt help him at Georgia because the money guys wanted Kirby and then Richt backdoored him at Miami at the last second. Whats funny is he promised to bring Manny with him to Miami and they got him anyway but didnt hire Mullen.
    That does make sense about UnderArmour.

I was pissed at Miami in 2015 for not taking him. As I said at the time and have been proven correct- that would have been the best thing for all parties involved. I think Dan being sulky hurt us big time in the 2016 recruiting class where he couldn't close on AJ Brown and Lashley among others. I just felt like the past two years I have been kind of listless regarding MSU football because you knew that Dan was not going to win very many big games and was probably going to go job hunting at the end of the year.

vCash
    agenda was the word used by Liverpool, 7, and others when they didnt like what I was saying about Mullen. I supposedly had some type of crazy agenda aagainst him
    You WERE awfully sensitive about it. An old preacher at a revival back in the day at my old church had a wise saying: " A bit dog always yelps".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    If I think the negative outweighs the positive I'll go after a coach. Mullen did a LOT for MSU, and anyone who says otherwise is just either stupid, bitter, or had a personal grudge. Now that he is gone I see no need to defend him. I thought he had faults too, you would be surprised. I just didn't voice them when he was our coach. If he had started losing I would have. He never really did so I defended him. The only group think I see is in this thread.
    My "personal grudge" with Dan has to do with him screwing up Dak's senior night and the Egg Bowl last year while he was looking for jobs to stroke his ego. At the end of the day Dan was average as a coach. And Florida is about to find that out too.

At the end of the day I felt like he had way too much power and was given too much leeway especially under Stricklin. Great in games where we had the talent edge- but he made highly questionable decisions that were Les Miles-esque in close games and big games. In fact in one of his biggest wins in 2014 he almost gave the game away because with about 8 minutes of game time left he felt like it was important to play our back-ups and got us in a situation where a Hail Mary would have beaten us when we dominated the game all night long. His recruiting was average at best- thanks to defensive staff it would have been bad. And he didn't always play the best players- anyone remember Holloway up the middle against Alabama in 2015 on the goal line? LOL. And then he decided to insult our intelligence by saying Holloway played more because of his blocking- only to see the offense instantly improve once Aeris took over because of an injury to Holloway. Thank God Aeris finally learned the playbook and how to block that week.**

vCash
    My "personal grudge" with Dan has to do with him screwing up Dak's senior night and the Egg Bowl last year while he was looking for jobs to stroke his ego. At the end of the day Dan was average as a coach. And Florida is about to find that out too.

At the end of the day I felt like he had way too much power and was given too much leeway especially under Stricklin. Great in games where we had the talent edge- but he made highly questionable decisions that were Les Miles-esque in close games and big games. In fact in one of his biggest wins in 2014 he almost gave the game away because with about 8 minutes of game time left he felt like it was important to play our back-ups and got us in a situation where a Hail Mary would have beaten us when we dominated the game all night long. His recruiting was average at best- thanks to defensive staff it would have been bad. And he didn't always play the best players- anyone remember Holloway up the middle against Alabama in 2015 on the goal line? LOL. And then he decided to insult our intelligence by saying Holloway played more because of his blocking- only to see the offense instantly improve once Aeris took over because of an injury to Holloway. Thank God Aeris finally learned the playbook and how to block that week.**
    I actually agree with most of that........I told you would be surprised. I'd add he never could establish a stable staff on the defensive side of the ball. THAT hurt us more than anything you mentioned. The positives still outweighed the negatives. I'm 53, I had pretty much given up on sustained success on the level Mullen brought. I'd never seen it. I also never saw a MSU football coach leave without basically being fired. It was a welcome change. I guess that's why I'm not bitter. I take the long view.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 03-23-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    If I remember correctly Cohen offered Dan an extension after we beat A&M and he wouldn't take it so Cohen started looking. That's why our search happened so quickly.
    Was Morehead in Starkville for the Egg Bowl? My buddies family swears they saw him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    Was Morehead in Starkville for the Egg Bowl? My buddies family swears they saw him.
    Not that I am aware of. It's possible as quickly as things went down and the fact that Penn State played two days later. And at least didn't let it distract him if true- they hung 66 on Maryland on the road.

vCash
    I actually agree with most of that........I told you would be surprised. I'd add he never could establish a stable staff on the defensive side of the ball. THAT hurt us more than anything you mentioned. The positives still outweighed the negatives. I'm 53, I had pretty much given up on sustained success on the level Mullen brought. I'd never seen it. I also never saw a MSU football coach leave without basically being fired. It was a welcome change. I guess that's why I'm not bitter. I take the long view.
    I think at least some of Dan's perceived success has to do with the rise of the power 5 conferences. See USM- in 1980 they beat one of our best teams ever 42-14. As recent as 1990 we beat them 13-10 on a last second field goal. Fast forward to 2014- we beat them down 49-0 and it should have been 63-0. Then the next year we beat them in Hattiesburg something like 34-17 with Dak not being able to run and I believe USM won their division that year. Then you have the fact that you have the 12th game which is essentially a gimmie against a FCS team and it's easier to make a bowl than ever- a 5-7 team making a bowl was unheard of in years past.

Then the reality is Dan only had one winning SEC season and it clearly shows that he raised the floor but not the ceiling. And I think a lot of average coaches could have done what Dan did at MSU in the same era.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    After we lost Bama game, Mullen was not interested anymore.
    And that was obviously almost every year he was here (always drew up that butt against bama), and especially 4 of the last 6 games against UNM which were losses. Their players always looked like that wanted it more than Dan's teams in those games.

vCash
    We paid him basically 5 mil to lose to South Alabama and BYU. He was in hot water in 2013 and 16

vCash
    Not that I am aware of. It's possible as quickly as things went down and the fact that Penn State played two days later. And at least didn't let it distract him if true- they hung 66 on Maryland on the road.
    If he was then we cant bitch and moan about Mullen sliding into UT's DMs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Why in the world did he ever schedule UMass anyway? Probalby most of us didn't even know they had a football team before we played them the first time.
    An audition for a future HC gig? Face it. Mullen may wind up there in four years after Flarda shitcans him (and Strick) in three years. There, he can keep his Country Club, be close to New Hampshire, run the Boston Marathon, go hiking in Europe, have down time away from coaching/recruiting, and keep a seven figure salary. You know, all the things he did here as an SEC HC that no other SEC school would have put up with.

vCash
    He got interested in Maryland because UnderArmor was supposed to pump some money into the program. The owner is a Maryland guy or something like that. He wanted the Miami and Georgia jobs badly. His AD buddy couldnt help him at Georgia because the money guys wanted Kirby and then Richt backdoored him at Miami at the last second. Whats funny is he promised to bring Manny with him to Miami and they got him anyway but didnt hire Mullen.
    Under Armour guy was a walkon football player at Maryland. The number I heard was Dan getting 5 Mill per year for 5 years. Also getting facility upgrades to make them more competitive. I think the money had him planning on going but then UGA and Miami both were more of what he wanted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    We practiced - but non-contact and in helmets and no-pads. People on here were ape-shit about how soft we seemed for the Arky game because of it.
    Didn't we also take the bus ride to Oxford the day of the game, get beat, and drive back home? P.S. But, but, will he still be the center of attention at the fall SEC meeting with his out of this world, stylish tennis shoes?
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 03-23-2018 at 09:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Didn't we also take the bus ride to Oxford the day of the game, get beat, and drive back home? P.S. But, but, will he still be the center of attention at the fall SEC meeting with his out of this world, stylish tennis shoes?
    Yeah, but I can?t remember what year. Two of the buses collided with each other on the trip back too.

vCash
    no- we won in Oxford in 2016
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    no- we won in Oxford in 2016
    My bad. Thought we lost one to them when we made it a day trip. BTW, as I have noted several times, bring back the interlocking MSU. Best looking helmets ever!

vCash
    This happened in 14 and 12