Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very insightful Malik Newman article from KUsports.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    It's the truth. Who you benching for Newman?
    We do have great guards, but Newman is a great guard at another level. I don't bench anybody, but he gets as much or more playing time than the others. This shows that we were actually fortunate he left. His presence would have severely changed the way the team we have now developed.

Most of our losses were winable games. He might have made some difference. But I'm happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Relardo Sidney View Post
    I believe dat, Newman ain't tough don't like to get durty, he soft, use hand lotion an shit
    YES

vCash
    That's just silly. State is one of the worst 3 point shooting team in SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    I believe. He would be 6th man AT BEST

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Harbor View Post
    That's just silly. State is one of the worst 3 point shooting team in SEC.
    Did you watch the last 10 games? Who would you replace? Lamar- No
    Nick- No, Q- No,

Banned
    vCash
    Newman wouldn't of meshed well with the other players with his shy standoffish ora mixed with diva expectations. Peters and Stapleton would be more likely to beat his ass than pass him the ball ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Newman wouldn't of meshed well with the other players with his shy standoffish ora mixed with diva expectations. Peters and Stapleton would be more likely to beat his ass than pass him the ball ever.
    That's the bottom line. He'd be the most talented player on our team, but he would screw up the chemistry that we finally have. That's why we're better off without him, not because he's not as good as the other players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkernhelldawg View Post
    That's the bottom line. He'd be the most talented player on our team, but he would screw up the chemistry that we finally have. That's why we're better off without him, not because he's not as good as the other players.
    I disagree about most talented. Peters would be by a mile. Nick is arguably more talented than Malik. Malik biggest strength is his shooting and everything else he is no better than average.

vCash
    I could care less about Newman but I wish him no bad luck or harm. In saying that, I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about his progress. He had no choice but to change his ways when he left Starkville, so did Webster. He and Webster put all their eggs in one basket with a pro career, that is a risky deal so if it doesn't pan out what would be next?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    I disagree about most talented. Peters would be by a mile. Nick is arguably more talented than Malik. Malik biggest strength is his shooting and everything else he is no better than average.
    Peters and Nick are awesome for sure. I think it's a stretch for any college player to beat Newman's talent "by a mile," but Peters may well be better than Newman. He certainly is better for us than Newman, and that's what matters to me.

vCash
    Peters and Nick are awesome for sure. I think it's a stretch for any college player to beat Newman's talent "by a mile," but Peters may well be better than Newman. He certainly is better for us than Newman, and that's what matters to me.
    I guess what I mean is Peters handles and ability to get by his defender are already better than most point guards in the NBA, he just needs some coaching and fine tuning. Malik has nothing that 75% of NBA guards don?t already have.

vCash
    What exactly makes Newman so talented? Maybe I haven't seen enough of him, but at this point in his career in my observation he's an average- to slightly below average-sized 2, shoots 40% from 3 (the standard for a "good" shooter), has a good mid-range game, isn't particularly athletic, isn't particularly good inside, and doesn't play good defense. He's shaping up to be a pretty good college player, but I'm not seeing anything mind-blowing from a talent perspective.

vCash
    If you are going to cherry pick the last ten games then your argument is even more ridiculous. For comparison: MSU guards are playing for the NIT and playing well vs Malik in the Sweet 16. Newman is averaging 22 a game, shooting 50+% from the field and from three, playing great defense and just won the Big12 regular and conference tourney and about to play (and prob beat) Clemson to head to the Elite 8.

You can speculate on team chemistry all day, but none of that is rooted in any fact/reality. Otherwise enjoy the maroon meth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Did you watch the last 10 games? Who would you replace? Lamar- No
    Nick- No, Q- No,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    What exactly makes Newman so talented? Maybe I haven't seen enough of him, but at this point in his career in my observation he's an average- to slightly below average-sized 2, shoots 40% from 3 (the standard for a "good" shooter), has a good mid-range game, isn't particularly athletic, isn't particularly good inside, and doesn't play good defense. He's shaping up to be a pretty good college player, but I'm not seeing anything mind-blowing from a talent perspective.
    That is an incredibly negative take on Newman. I don't agree with it.

vCash
    I would venture to say Lamar and Nick would fit in nicely at Kansas, no worse than equal but honestly watching all three, I'd take our guys. The only thing Newman does better is spot shooting. Nick and Lamar are way better created their shots and are better defenders. Just saying.

vCash
    Malik is a nice college player. How he would fit in with this MSU team, who knows. If he still had the one and done mindset then not well. If he could play good team defense and make open shots then his numbers would look similar to what he did at Kansas this year.

Lamar and Nick could both play their way into the first round next year, and Q into the second. I would be shocked if Malik ever gets drafted based on his measurables I saw from the NBA combine his freshman year....subpar length and can't finish at the rim. He was a physically mature kid in high school and could kind of "bulldog" his opponents. He is still a good college player but not the phenom he was built up to be now that the longer and once skinny kids have caught up.
    Last edited by CovertDawg; 03-22-2018 at 03:55 PM.

vCash
    MSU Men's basketball, playing for 69th place in the nation, will have three NBA draft picks next year. Howland must be doing a shit job.

Quote Originally Posted by CovertDawg View Post
    Lamar and Nick could both play their way into the first round next year, and Q into the second. I would be shocked if Malik ever gets drafted based on his measurables I saw from the NBA combine his freshman year.

vCash
    MSU Men's basketball, playing for 69th place in the nation, will have three NBA draft picks next year. Howland must be doing a shit job.
    Actually, the new NBADraft.net mock draft for 2019 (next year) has exactly that scenario playing out. They have Nick and Lamar both going in the first round and Q in the second. This board might pick apart Q's game but you don't offensive rebound at the rate he does in the SEC without either really good length or athleticism. They do have Malik going 54th in the 2nd as well but he is going to have to prove he is a lights out shooter to have a chance since he is one dimensional. And I think Howland is doing an excellent job. The NBA draft is more about projection and Howland is getting all of these guys ready to have a monster season next year in the NCAA tournament that gets capped off on draft night.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

vCash
    We have played 3 teams that were better than several of the NCAA tourney teams. Just because of some type of arbitrary choice by some panel doesn't mean that our team wasn't as good or better than several of the teams in the tourney.

vCash
    That's damned impressive if it plays out. Even scarier is that Duke has committed three high school seniors in the top 5 of the 2019 draft.

Actually, the new NBADraft.net mock draft for 2019 (next year) has exactly that scenario playing out. They have Nick and Lamar both going in the first round and Q in the second. This board might pick apart Q's game but you don't offensive rebound at the rate he does in the SEC without either really good length or athleticism. They do have Malik going 54th in the 2nd as well but he is going to have to prove he is a lights out shooter to have a chance since he is one dimensional. And I think Howland is doing an excellent job. The NBA draft is more about projection and Howland is getting all of these guys ready to have a monster season next year in the NCAA tournament that gets capped off on draft night.

vCash

Great post. I'm not convinced that Malik is one dimensional, but I haven't seem him play very much. I totally agree with the rest of your points. Especially that Howland is doing a great job.