Thread: Would You Rather....

vCash

Would You Rather....

make the tournament but lose by 15 in the first round or win the NIT?

I think the more games this team plays together the better as pertaining to next year's run. It also gives you great momentum headed into the offseason and a trophy for the case.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Normally it's the NCAA no question but for this year's team I think this NIT experience has been invaluable & will be more valuable next year.

vCash
    NCAA tournament. That's the goal every season.

vCash
    I'd say it's situational. For a team that has been wandering in the wilderness for 6+ years (9 if you go back to our last NCAA appearance), then going deep in the NIT is better because of the extra experience. It will pay big dividends next year. However, once you have had a re-establishment year like this, then the NCAA is better every time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyDawg View Post

I think the more games this team plays together the better as pertaining to next year's run. It also gives you great momentum headed into the offseason and a trophy for the case.
    I think it depends on the team. If you've got a really experienced team of JRs & SRs, then I take the one-and-done in the NCAA. But for a team as young as this one, give me the NIT. The extra games, but more importantly the extra practices, is invaluable. It's where the most improvement can be made and creates momentum for the next season.

I was really happy we played ourselves off the bubble this year because I knew we could make a deep NIT run and all this extra time would be more beneficial for this group than a quick NCAA exit. Also worth pointing out - the NCAA isn't the best 68 teams. Because if it's the best 68, we're in every time this year. I refuse to be convinced we aren't better than aTm, Mizzou, and several other teams who got in this year. The way we've played the last few weeks is a dramatic improvement. We're a tough team to beat for anyone right now.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    What would you rather have? The NCAA Tourney

Whats best for this team? NIT run
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    It's interesting - if we win the NIT, you could make the argument that this is one of the 3-4 best teams since SEC expansion. The will have tied the 2002 team for most wins in a season at 27 and had our highest winning percentage since then too.

vCash
    I would say for a team like this that is young then the NIT championship is better but for a normal year, making the Big Dance. Having postseason success is going to benefit this team next year.

vCash
    Well, obviously winning in the NCAA Tourney is far better than winning in the NIT. So give me the chance to produce the better result, every time.

vCash
    NCAA>NIT. It’s not even close.

vCash
    I'd rather win the NIT. Sure, the NCAA tourney is better, and in general means we had a better season, but as far as just the 2 in comparison? I'll take win the NIT.
    I've already had way more fun watching us win what we already have in this tournament than I would've had watching us lose by 15 in the ncaa tourney. I know I'll be going crazy if we win the NIT. It'll be much more memorable and fun for me than watching us lose 1. Even if it doesn't mean anything, its a hell of a lot of fun to be on that ride.

Banned
    vCash
    At the point of selection Sunday the choice is of course always the NCAA and at that point again obviously you've had a better season when you make the NCAA then when you only make the NIT but the season doesn't end there. We will absolutely have had a better season this year if we win the NIT than we would have if we squeaked into the tourney and lost 1st round. My answer for this season is to win the NIT. It means we had a better season than if we barely got into the tourney and lost. However I would not always rather win the NIT than get booted 1st game of NCAA and I think this year is an outlier and will be the only time during Howland's tenure I will prefer an NIT championship over a 1st round NCAA tourney loss.

vCash
    NCAAT and it’s not close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    I'd rather win the NIT. Sure, the NCAA tourney is better, and in general means we had a better season, but as far as just the 2 in comparison? I'll take win the NIT.
    I've already had way more fun watching us win what we already have in this tournament than I would've had watching us lose by 15 in the ncaa tourney. I know I'll be going crazy if we win the NIT. It'll be much more memorable and fun for me than watching us lose 1. Even if it doesn't mean anything, its a hell of a lot of fun to be on that ride.
    Agree with this. On selection Sunday it's way better to be in the NCAA Tournament, but if offered the choice in hindsight like this thread was framed, I'll take a run to the NIT Final Four with the chance to win it. The NIT has been fun and offers a relaxed viewing experience. Going to the NCAA Tournament and with great anticipation and then flaking out after one game leading to great disappointment is pretty lackluster. 2003 sucked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post
    Agree with this. On selection Sunday it's way better to be in the NCAA Tournament, but if offered the choice in hindsight like this thread was framed, I'll take a run to the NIT Final Four with the chance to win it. The NIT has been fun and offers a relaxed viewing experience. Going to the NCAA Tournament and with great anticipation and then flaking out after one game leading to great disappointment is pretty lackluster. 2003 sucked.
    That’s what people are forgetting. It’s framed as you get one and done in the NCAA Tournament or NIT championship. Obviously we all want the NCAA tournament more. But if you knew you would only get one game compared to 5, would you still take the one? With this team I would not. I want them playing and practicing as much as possible. So far they are doin that and doing it against quality competition.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyDawg View Post

Every team.....Every Year.....ALWAYS...shoot for the Big Dance. And if you fall short, then the NIT, which is exactly what we did.....but yeah, I would rather lose by 15 in the Dance than win the "Not In Tournament" Tournament

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Normally it's the NCAA no question but for this year's team I think this NIT experience has been invaluable & will be more valuable next year.
    NCAA is only fun if you have a chance to make a run by winning your first two. Have to agree. NIT was way better for this team, this year. Everyone would rather play in the NCAA, but looking at next season this will help us more. Going to the Garden!