Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Some General Thoughts.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    This was a perfect storm for our baseball team. Replacing a lot with some immaturity, led by our HC who turned out to be the biggest asshole in school history.

We look like a young unprepared team. Thats why we show flashes like the 3 game sweep in houston then lose to SE LA and get swept by Vandy.

We look like we didnt do shit all offseason, I think its pretty obvious Cann didnt have us doing a damn thing pre season. I love the 4 freshman we have they will only get better.

We get a real coach in 2019 and I think youll be singing a different tune
    Agreed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    - I'm genuinely frustrated about the current status of our baseball program or lack thereof. There is no program. There are only fans, a new stadium, history, & a team. For the tradition, facilities, & brand our baseball program has, we have been way to volatile. We have become to SEC baseball what Tennessee football currently is to the SEC. Issues around every corner.

- I couldn't care less if I ever see another MSU baseball recruiting class ranked in the top 5 in the country. Comparing our current team to the top teams in the country, we are small, thin, & unathletic. The average MSU player over the past 5 or so has been a non-projectable player. They lack the frame, feet, & agility to improve.

- Once the new baseball coach is hired, MSU needs to look hard at the baseball strength & conditioning program. If you have some free time at some point, watch Arkansas, Missouri State, Florida, TCU, Kentucky, or Texas Tech play. They clearly are on a different strength & conditioning program while recruiting different size players, with more projectable frames & athleticism.

- MSU needs a baseball coach that wants to be here, is known for player development, & is known for recruiting & getting on campus strong baseball players. Body projection is so important & over the past few years MSU has recruited way too many narrow bone structure guys. We don't need to win a press conference. We need someone that knows what they are doing that can come here & build stability while reaping the benefits of the facilities, tradition, & brand.

- The current baseball problem is not on Canny. It's on the previous staff for building a team full of weeds. There are very few strong lower halves on the team. Hitters without strong lower halves can't get to power.

- I'm pumped about the Men's basketball team making a run in the NIT. I think that's huge for next year. Truly brings everyone together.

- I also super pumped about Spring Football practice beginning today. Can't wait to see how Moorhead does things, what changes he makes, & the rumors coming out of practice. I'm ready to get excited about football.
    I agree with the first point. We've tried to cut too many corners instead of biting the bullet and while the corner cutting has led to some short term success it appears as if we are having to bite the bullet big time now. I think we will get someone that will do the things that you are talking about. We don't have to deal with Polk going nuts and I don't think we will be a massive rebuild either. The potential is there- it's just time for us to fulfill it and do it the right way. As I've said before- I wish we had just made Henderson the interim guy last year and then done a proper search. That's essentially what we are having to do now anyway. We need someone that will bring in his own staff rather than some of his and some of Cohen's.

On the second point- our current freshmen class was ranked in the 10's-20's. I think Mangum and Stovall's is really the only top 10 class on campus right now. A typical top 5 class is going to have the types of players you are talking about.

I agree 100% on the point of S&C. That's why our fans make comments about "how small" we look compared to other teams. It's the same guy from when we struggled in 2015 and it hasn't changed under Cann either. We need new blood here. And forget the teams you are talking about- when USM is bigger than us it's a major problem. Not sure why Neal has gotten such a huge pass unless it's just that our coaches are completely clueless about S&C.

I mostly agree about getting strong players that are projectable. A lot of our problem is we lose most of those guys to MLB. We also have to do a much better job of identifying who is signable and who isn't- and then coming up with a back-up plan. That's what killed Mangum's class and I even mentioned it after the draft. Our back-up plans for guys getting drafted are JUCO guys like Vansau. The way it needs to be as an example is we sign a guy that's high risk like Greg Pickett and then there needs to be another guy who has the build and frame of someone like a Brent Rooker as a back up plan. That's how you keep from getting gutted. And the reason we got gutted was because Cohen had no clue who was going pro. It also helps us from having a year where we are starting five freshmen in the lineup too.

What's happening right now isn't all on Cann- but a big part of it is. Our guys may not be projectable- but they also look like they haven't been coached. And since the players were the ones who came forward with what was going on it tells me that they know they weren't being coached.