Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A baseball school?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    I was speaking to our SP... sure in baseball anyone can beat anyone on a given day but in ‘85 we rarely worried or cared if we lost to MS College once in a blue moon. Seems much more commonplace now. Without looking, I wonder who we started that game, both pitching and hitting? I bet it was late in the season too.
    Don't know starting pitcher but we started our regular lineup and it was just past half way through the season. Makes no difference anyway. He guy we put on the mound should be better than there's.

vCash
    Besides a few blips here and there in BB & FB, that?s the sport we?ve had to hang our hats on... we should rarely have off years, but we?ve had plenty for a ?baseball school?. Losing to mid-week team used to be unheard of, but now it?s that we?re saving our weekend guys. Our backups SHOULD be better than their starters!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    83 we lost to mc and delta state. 84 lost to Livingston. 85 as you said. 87 Jackson st. 88 mc and delta st again.
    I’ll edit my comment b/c it isn’t unheard of to lose a mid-week game... but it does seem more common and frequent nowadays. I’ll blame that statement on the liquor, but the rest I stand by.

Banned
    vCash
    We have been to super regionals in back to back years. Smh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    We have been to super regionals in back to back years. Smh.
    And I hope we get back real soon! And let’s win it all too (in any and all sports) before I die! Maybe this year... let’s go Ladies!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    We haven't been a REAL baseball school year in and year out since the early 90's. But, we've got fans that for whatever reason seem to fall back 30 years and want to claim baseball superiorty. Hate to hurt anyone's feelings but that ship has sailed too. We haven't been in the upper echelon in the conference in quiet awhile. Oh sure we'll have a ride here and there, but we haven't sustained any type of inkling that would come close to indicating we are a baseball school since the Palmerio, Clark, Brantley, Thigpen and Cohen days. We are starting from scratch to build back up just to compete, much less win championships. Its not all on Cohen. Its been some poor evaluations of talent from my seat.
    The reason we are a baseball school is not due to our success the last 30 years in baseball. It is because, of the big 3 sports, baseball is the sport in which we are capable of competing at an elite level year in and out.

You make the right hire and we will do just that and be able to keep our coach should fla, LSU, Bama, uscw, come calling.

vCash
    I was speaking to our SP... sure in baseball anyone can beat anyone on a given day but in ?85 we rarely worried or cared if we lost to MS College once in a blue moon. Seems much more commonplace now. Without looking, I wonder who we started that game, both pitching and hitting? I bet it was late in the season too.
    To me, there's actually a pretty small margin for error because every team has a fresh bullpen every Tuesday and then typically they have two days off. Which means they can extend guys. We have the same advantage with the bullpen but if your starter gets roughed up like Marsh did Weds it can be tough to come back. Especially if it gets past the sixth inning and we're behind. That's usually how an "upset" happens in baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    The reason we are a baseball school is not due to our success the last 30 years in baseball. It is because, of the big 3 sports, baseball is the sport in which we are capable of competing at an elite level year in and out.

You make the right hire and we will do just that and be able to keep our coach should fla, LSU, Bama, uscw, come calling.
    Exactly.

vCash
    We got to get the coaching hire right next time.