Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: St Paddy Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: St Paddy Edition

This weekend is the big parade in Jackson but I will not be going. Been there done that. I?ll probably grill something Saturday and Sunday we?re heading south to the catfish dome in Florence (Jerry?s).

vCash
    Tonight is Hobo Shrimp. Shrimp, new potatoes, onion, mini corn ears, and smoke sausage wrapped in tin foil for individual servings. Seasoned with Old Bay, Slap Yo Momma, garlic,and a lemon slice then placed on the grill. Tomorrow will be smoked a corn beef brisket. It will be finished in the grill while in a Black and Tan bath.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Howboutdemdogs View Post
    Seasoned with Old Bay.
    Come on, now!!!

vCash
    Convinced a few fish to hop in with me last night, so we’re eating redfish tonight.

vCash
    Spec, you are right,,, but when the wife goes to the grocery store and comes home with that,,,I can’t argue. Yes, a few demarks are needed. Zats should only be allowed in the house.

vCash
    MS fish? Yak?

vCash
    Haha. I have friend from MD that I like to give crap about the Old Bay.

I?ve wanted to try doing the foil packs like that. Looks like a good meal and easy clean up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    MS fish? Yak?
    Yes & yes.

vCash
    Glass of red for a nightcap. My bracket is halfway screwed. Thanks Zona

vCash
    I bought chicken, veggies, salad, and charcoal and Wife decides she wants pizza at 4pm. Papa Johns it is. Since they don’t deliver my way I grabbed a bottle of Pinot on the way. Red and pizza.
    Last edited by BeastMan; 03-17-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Breakfast for supper tonight -- buttermilk pancakes (but 75% whole wheat, you know, for the kids), some sausage a client made from local hogs that either he or a buddy raises, and a lightly spiced apple compote that turned out really damn good. Night cap is either going to be a Manhattan with Belle Meade bourbon or a pint of dry cider from a cidery up near the TN/VA line.

Doing a pot roast tomorrow. Plan on using a Food Lab recipe that's heavy on the wine and umami add-ins. Hope you like it, family, cuz I'm aiming for a crap-ton of leftovers!

vCash
    All that sounds amazing Prediction Pain

vCash
    Whipped up a salad for our game. Stove top grilled the chicken on the cast iron. Had leftover cheese from the other day so I used the pecorino romano to top the salad along with tomato, onion, and cucumber. I used the parmigiano reggiano to make a dressing. Probably 3 tbls finely grated parm, 2 tbls duke’s mayo, fresh cracked pepper, assorted dry herbs, touch of whole milk to get desired consistency.

Banned
    vCash
    I need a tutorial on how to fillet A whole fish. Would save me money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I need a tutorial on how to fillet A whole fish. Would save me money.
    What kind of fish?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    What kind of fish?
    Oh, I guess when I see red fish and others on ice in Costco makes me wish I could buy them. the price is so good. but I don't know the 1st thing about what to do with them. I guess I could google it too I reckon.

vCash
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3eLX1QmOkjw

That video is pretty close to how i filet a redfish. I do like to use a full serrated bigger knife on bigger redfish though, as those big scales can be tough. Trout are a piece of cake and with an electric knife, you can knock out a mess of them real quick. For trout, you don?t need to go down the back, along the fin like that. You can simply cut straight down, behind the head and then turn 90* and go straight along the bone. It will slide through like butter. I actually like to cut out the belly first (it?s tough as hell and hard to cut through), but I won?t add confusion with that.
    Last edited by SpeckleDawg; 03-19-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3eLX1QmOkjw

That video is pretty close to how i filet a redfish. I do like to use a full serrated bigger knife on bigger redfish though, as those big scales can be tough. Trout are a piece of cake and with an electric knife, you can knock out a mess of them real quick. For trout, you don’t need to go down the back, along the fin like that. You can simply cut straight down, behind the head and then turn 90* and go straight along the bone. It will slide through like butter. I actually like to cut out the belly first (it’s tough as hell and hard to cut through), but I won’t add confusion with that.
    I really appreciate that speckledawg. gonna check that out.

Banned
    vCash
    damnit speckle, it ain't pulling up.

vCash
    And by redfish do you actually mean red snapper? Because those are a little different than redfish (red drum). Easier actually.