Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kendall Rogers just laid the two names out there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Really hope we do not pay that kinda money.
    Georgia just paid over $3M for a basketball coach. I don't know why baseball coaches are generally worth less than basketball, but they are. I'd rather it be the other way around. Probably because college basketball is a more nationally important/played sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Georgia just paid over $3M for a basketball coach. I don't know why baseball coaches are generally worth less than basketball, but they are. I'd rather it be the other way around. Probably because college basketball is a more nationally important/played sport.
    Basketball makes more money

vCash
    So why did we just pay $55M for a baseball stadium renovation? Will we ever recoup that expenditure?

vCash
    Howland makes what, 2? I would rather re-sign him and invest big money in football assistants. I say 1 million tops for a baseball coach. If we can do above and pay 1.4, so be it. I want basketball and football taken care of though... do not want to be losing football assistants bc of pay
    This entire post is a red herring.

I'm pretty sure Howland will get a raise after this year. Basketball and football ARE taken care of and we will pay our football assistants well (See Todd Grantham). With room to add raises as they succeed in the future. And none of that is at the expense of baseball. Not to mention not bringing Dan back saves us at least 2.5 million a year alone. We're not going to lose football assistants because we're paying our HEAD baseball coach 1.5-2 million a year. That's ridiculous. I'd like an article where TCU, Louisville, Virginia, or anyone else that is paying a head baseball coach over a million has lost a football assistant coach because the baseball coach is making more than them.

If anything it's baseball's turn to get some attention because right now that program is in far more disarray than either the football or basketball program are.

I believe resource wise our baseball program- resources being defined as people/alumni that care, the interest that the school puts into baseball- has more potential than Louisville and TCU among others. 2 million is well in line with what our potential is to an elite level coach to come here.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

I'm pretty sure Howland will get a raise after this year. Basketball and football ARE taken care of and we will pay our football assistants well (See Todd Grantham). With room to add raises as they succeed in the future. And none of that is at the expense of baseball. Not to mention not bringing Dan back saves us at least 2.5 million a year alone. We're not going to lose football assistants because we're paying our HEAD baseball coach 1.5-2 million a year. That's ridiculous. I'd like an article where TCU, Louisville, Virginia, or anyone else that is paying a head baseball coach over a million has lost a football assistant coach because the baseball coach is making more than them.

If anything it's baseball's turn to get some attention because right now that program is in far more disarray than either the football or basketball program are.

I believe resource wise our baseball program- resources being defined as people/alumni that care, the interest that the school puts into baseball- has more potential than Louisville and TCU among others. 2 million is well in line with what our potential is to an elite level coach to come here.
    Outstanding post Todd

vCash

You wanna pay a baseball coach 2 million? Kevin O?Sullivan does not make that... no where close

vCash
    You wanna pay a baseball coach 2 million? Kevin O?Sullivan does not make that... no where close
    According to this site, 2 million is in line with mlb manager pay

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-mlb-mangers/
    Last edited by msstate7; 03-16-2018 at 06:23 PM.

vCash
    Mike Matheny makes $700K

vCash
    Absolutely. I don't care what Florida is paying O'Sullivan because that doesn't matter. If we want a coach of that caliber we need to be willing to pay and as an alum of MSU I would be totally for it.

vCash
    Absolutely. I don't care what Florida is paying O'Sullivan because that doesn't matter. If we want a coach of that caliber we need to be willing to pay and as an alum of MSU I would be totally for it.
    Like I said above if does not hamstring football and basketball, whatever... pay em. I really hope that if baseball does go down this road that ticket price does not skyrocket like football did

vCash

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-mlb-mangers/
    And Nick Saban makes more than any of the NFL coaches except for Bill Bellicheck. Maybe more if you include bonuses. Again- you comparing our coaching job to MLB jobs doesn't matter.

Alabama football was sort of similar to us before they hired Saban. They had the desire and resources in terms of fans and facilities but they weren't meeting their own personal expectations. What did they do? They spent a crazy amount on Saban going back to him several times until they offered him enough money where he couldn't say no. If we do that for a comparable coach relative to baseball I am 100% behind it.

vCash
    And Nick Saban makes more than any of the NFL coaches except for Bill Bellicheck. Maybe more if you include bonuses. Again- you comparing our coaching job to MLB jobs doesn't matter.

Alabama football was sort of similar to us before they hired Saban. They had the desire and resources in terms of fans and facilities but they weren't meeting their own personal expectations. What did they do? They spent a crazy amount on Saban going back to him several times until they offered him enough money where he couldn't say no. If we do that for a comparable coach relative to baseball I am 100% behind it.
    Alabama football has won a natty in every decade since the 20s except the 50s and 80s. Comparing us to them is probably a stretch

vCash
    Like I said above if does not hamstring football and basketball, whatever... pay em. I really hope that if baseball does go down this road that ticket price does not skyrocket like football did
    Hamstringing the other sports is not a concern with baseball at all. If anything we have more money than usual to spend- 3 million at least if you factor in Dan and Cann leaving.

If baseball has a quality team I absolutely would pay it- honestly would probably go more than I do now. Cohen just dropped the prices on football tickets in some areas and concessions are decreasing as well. I don't expect ticket prices to skyrocket.

vCash
    Alabama football has won a natty in every decade since the 20s except the 50s and 80s. Comparing us to them is probably a stretch
    Again- so what? SEC baseball wasn't even relevant until WE made it relevant in the 1980's. I'm comparing the fanbases- not the overall success of the programs between the two. Just because we don't have a National Championship- it's ridiculous to not even try when we have the resources to potentially be even better than we are now. To me, the fact that we don't have one is even more reason to get an elite coach rather than try to save a buck.

Our program isn't as shitty as some of our fans make it out to be. There are only a few SEC programs that have been to the Finals in Omaha since 2010- we are one of them. We have won the SEC within the past three seasons. We have two SR appearances the past two years. MSU has a LOT going for us right now. We're just dealing with a lot of bad fortune and transition at the same time- but our future is extremely bright and our profile has been raised quite a bit since 2010. I daresay it's better now than the 80's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It's going to cost that much to get a Jay Johnson type of hire
    I figure our baseball program rate spending that kind of money.

vCash
    Basketball may make more money but MSU fans, by way of voting with their butts in the seats, supports men's basketball third in men's sports behind football and baseball. I would like to have a good men's basketball program, and I admire the job Howland's doing, but I'm not sure we really deserve one with the fan support we give our team. I really thought once we had a competitive team the fans would start coming back but we couldn't even get a big crowd for the TN home game with the NCAA tournament on the line. Right now MSU men's basketball doesn't seem to be a priority with MSU fans. I guess a majority of the basketball fans we have now have converted over to the women's team.

vCash
    Again- so what? SEC baseball wasn't even relevant until WE made it relevant in the 1980's. I'm comparing the fanbases- not the overall success of the programs between the two. Just because we don't have a National Championship- it's ridiculous to not even try when we have the resources to potentially be even better than we are now. To me, the fact that we don't have one is even more reason to get an elite coach rather than try to save a buck.

Our program isn't as shitty as some of our fans make it out to be. There are only a few SEC programs that have been to the Finals in Omaha since 2010- we are one of them. We have won the SEC within the past three seasons. We have two SR appearances the past two years. MSU has a LOT going for us right now. We're just dealing with a lot of bad fortune and transition at the same time- but our future is extremely bright and our profile has been raised quite a bit since 2010. I daresay it's better now than the 80's.
    We started making it relevant in the '70's, young man. I know I was sitting in the pasture. LOL! I agree with everything your saying Todd! Rep given.

vCash
    Then you don't want to win bad enough.
    Exactly.

vCash
    I wonder if C34 will be happy if we get one of them.

vCash
    McDonnell is available, the situation at Louisville is pretty toxic.