Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kendall Rogers just laid the two names out there

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Well **** this staff full of ****ing pussies. Gut it.

vCash
    delete

vCash
    It doesn’t matter if McDonnell started Louisville’s success- all recruits know now is that Louisville wins and they have nice facilities.

LSU wasn’t LSU before Bertman
    State wasn’t State before Gregory
    OM wasn’t OM before Bianco
    SC wasn’t a power before Tanner
    Corbin built Vandy
    whata his name built Fla State
    Frasier built Miami
    O’Conner has built Virginia

eveey good program has their builder and then the program usually sustains once it has achieved success for over a decade
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It doesn’t matter if McDonnell started Louisville’s success- all recruits know now is that Louisville wins and they have nice facilities.

LSU wasn’t LSU before Bertman
    State wasn’t State before Gregory
    OM wasn’t OM before Bianco
    SC wasn’t a power before Tanner
    Corbin built Vandy
    whata his name built Fla State
    Frasier built Miami
    O’Conner has built Virginia

eveey good program has their builder and then the program usually sustains once it has achieved success for over a decade
    Who ever we get,it looks like it will be a total rebuild.

vCash
    Agreed. Baffles me why Cann didn’t recruit a juco catcher and SS for this season. We needed some veterans

vCash
    Agreed. Baffles me why Cann didn’t recruit a juco catcher and SS for this season. We needed some veterans
    We did recruit a JUCO catcher- Gilbert.

vCash
    We are void of hitting talent. Fr will be ok.but 4 true fr in a sec lineup is a disaster as I've said before. Mangum is mangum And Stovall is having a horrific year. The rest can't hit period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We are void of hitting talent. Fr will be ok.but 4 true fr in a sec lineup is a disaster as I've said before. Mangum is mangum And Stovall is having a horrific year. The rest can't hit period.
    Vandy has 4 freshmen position players starting too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Vandy has 4 freshmen position players starting too
    Yep. Two things, those guys are more elite and second, the other five guys can hit a little. Ours can't. 4 tr fr isnt a recipe for excellence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    You think baseball coaches and recruits do not care? Come on. You think a top coach or recruit would not rather coach/play in front of 15k instead of 1500?

Also, mcd has done great at Louisville and still has not been able to win a title. He may think it would be easier to win a title here. No idea, but plausible given our better facilities and fan support. Cann was not even a proven head coach and had top 3 classes lined up over the next two years. Much easier to recruit to us than Louisvile.
    Agree, to me comparing football and basketball recent hires with baseball is apples and oranges. Fan support, facilities and the ability to recruit are probably the most important factors to a baseball coach, or they would be to me. Fact is, football and basketball are big time sports at any P5 school so you are not offering much besides money for one to slide from one job to another unless its to a Top 5-10 job where its just much easier to win a NC (if that is the biggest factor for a coach). I don't know that we will get a sitting Top 15 coach or not, odds are not, but if a coach has a program winning yet very few people at the school care then I would think it would be attractive to go where fans do care in a big way. And McDonnell will not make his decision based on the fact Louisville has been winning bigger lately than we have because he knows HE is the reason that Louisville is doing much of anything. They certainly never did squat before he arrived. Wouldn't you rather be leading a program at a school that can win big where the fans actually care versus win big at a school where most fans don't care? Baseball is a sport where there is a tremendous divergence among schools on whether or not fans really care if the team is good, football and basketball are not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If you look at history it's easier to win a National Title at a SEC school versus an ACC school. And I think the ACC is second to the SEC as far as difficulty goes- Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, and Virginia among others are all very good program that are about on par with any SEC school. Then you have teams like Wake Forest and Duke that are upstarts and can surprise sometimes.
    Yep, but the Sec is just better top to bottom. McDonnell has been at Louisville years, right now they are the elite in their conference. they have been consistent where as we haven't. Hopefully we can find a Coach for the long haul.

vCash
    Texting kills! He left us in a mess!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We did recruit a JUCO catcher- Gilbert.
    ok- a juco catcher like Krueger

Banned
    vCash
    What I don't understand is how all these past few recruiting classes were so "top tenish" and now we don't look good enough to be a top 50 team. maybe worse. maybe someone could explain that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Yep, but the Sec is just better top to bottom. McDonnell has been at Louisville years, right now they are the elite in their conference. they have been consistent where as we haven't. Hopefully we can find a Coach for the long haul.
    I don't know that I agree about that either. The past three seasons we have 2 SR appearances and a SEC Championship while dealing with a mid fall coaching change, a coach removed due to scandal, three pitching coach hires, and three hitting coach changes. Oh, and we've had to be on the road for most of the pre-SEC season because we're building a new stadium on top of that.

And we've done that being fairly unstable- I don't think very many programs would have the success we have had recently with all of that going on, granted we may be paying for all of that this year. Still, I think the recent success we have had shows how solid and strong our program is and really could be with some actual stability going on.

Honestly, you could say that we haven't had any stability since Polk left if we're being honest and we've had plenty of good moments including going the furthest we ever have in Omaha.

And as an aside I think our fans underrate our potential in general. When we were at our "peak" between 1978-1992 we had a lot of stability. Then Polk wanted to leave and we begged him to stay. We declined because he wasn't interested. We returned back some around 1996-2001 because Polk hired McMahon and wanted to go out on top and we made a strong run in the late 90's. Mac kind of kept it going with some transfers like Lotterhos, Ty Martin, Cliff Wren, and Chris Reinieke. But then we brought Polk back and that hurt our program immensely because we tried to do what we did in the 80's which was out of date by that point and everyone caught up and passed us and we finally bottomed out in 2008. We bring in Cohen and half of or more of the fan base didn't support him but he finally got us back to where we were. By the time he finally got us there he got interested in being the AD and we brought in Cann and it looked like we were going to make some major strides until it was revealed that he was too distracted to coach effectively and we're here now.

All of that is in the past or will be in about 10 weeks and at that time we need to make a home run hire which I think we will to finally bring us some stability. Because even as volatile as we have been we've shown glimpses of being an elite program like we were in the 80's and still can be- 1997 and 1998 CWS appearances, 2007 CWS appearance with the wildest SR atmosphere in the country, 2013 National Finals and CWS run, and the SEC Championship. We've also been to four SR's since 2011. In some ways we are a sleeping giant and if we can get the right coach in here we can be right up there with the Florida's and LSU's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    What I don't understand is how all these past few recruiting classes were so "top tenish" and now we don't look good enough to be a top 50 team. maybe worse. maybe someone could explain that.
    Our 2016 class was top 10- and I would say it did live up to it's billing for the most part- Lowe and Kruger made impacts and helped us to a SR and a SEC Title, Pilkington is a first round pick, Mangum is an All-SEC player, Stovall is a solid SEC player, LA has been a SEC starter for us. A lot of those pitchers had a lot of potential but many of them were victims of Tommy John. Some of them- Small, Keegan, Breaux, and Trysten Barlow could be very good players for us. Most of the busts are due to Tommy John with an few exceptions like Elih Marrero. The bad thing about this class was Cohen tried to fill in the gaps from the MLB draft like Austin Riley with JUCO guys like Tanner Poole. This shows the importance of having scouting connections.

The 2015 class was awful- we have no one left from that group and it had a lot of JUCO guys that were busts for the most part. John Holland was probably the best player out of it.

2017- Again too JUCO heavy with Vansau, MacNamee, and the third baseman that's at Tampa right now. Good pitching prospects in Self, McQuary, and Ashcraft to go along Skelton who was drafted by the Blue Jays. A good example of poor balance in a class.

2018- Again, another example of poor balance. Most of the JUCO's we recruited would have been impact guys but I think all signed with MLB. Which is another reason to stay away from JUCO's because most of the high impact ones go pro. It's a good position player class but it lacks balance because there is only one high school pitcher in the group.

Really the only top 10 class on campus right now is the 2016 group. Most of our top 10-ish classes are the ones that we have put together going forward. And they do appear to have more balance.

vCash

Connie Mack, John McGraw and Tony LaRussa couldn't combine

to get this team a winning SEC record. We won't have that again until 2020 at best. We have the worst team we've had since Cohen's 2015 squad. When we finish dead last in the west this year, which we will, this will make 2 of the last 4 years we've finished last. I think some of you guys are expecting WAY more outta this hire than what we'll actually get.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    to get this team a winning SEC record. We won't have that again until 2020 at best. We have the worst team we've had since Cohen's 2015 squad. When we finish dead last in the west this year, which we will, this will make 2 of the last 4 years we've finished last. I think some of you guys are expecting WAY more outta this hire than what we'll actually get.
    2015 was terrible. We won the sec in 2016. Things can change quickly

vCash
    A couple questions about the coaching search came up in the D1BB chat yesterday. Seems like Kendall and Fitt are retreating a little from Kendall's initial enthusiasm about State definitely getting a top 5 candidate:
    Comment From Doug: Why is Miss. State set to hire a top 5-10 coach but South Carolina and Texas had to settle for mid-major guys?
    Kendall Rogers: Doug, Timing is everything. South Carolina piqued the interest of several premier coaches, but many of the ones I spoke with said the timing wasn't right. Texas brought John Savage to Austin, interviewed with Paul Mainieri in Baton Rouge, and also had strong interest with Kevin O'Sullivan. But Mainieri got a raise, Savage ended up staying at UCLA, and O'Sullivan pulled out of the running.

It's really tough to get a premier coach to leave these days. However, MSU is a traditional power and is building the best facility in college baseball history. That is an eye-opener for everyone.
    Aaron Fitt: Kendall is the coaching carousel guru, but let me just go on record saying ultimately I don't think the guy KR has in mind is going to leave his current situation. It's one thing to entertain a notion way in advance and let yourself be courted; it's another thing to pick up and move your family and leave a great spot when it's time to make a decision. Wouldn't surprise me, frankly, if the MSU search winds up playing out similarly to the Texas and South Carolina searches. Like Kendall said, it's really hard to pry an established, top-five-caliber coach away from a great situation.

vCash
    Kendall didn’t retreat from what he said and Aaron Fitt is doing more speculation then anything else. Whether you guys believe it or not, the interest is there. Hell, even 247 and Robbie Faulk are hearing Schlossnagle and McDonnell’s interest and viewing them as legitimate candidates. That was also a wah wah type of question probably from a Texas or South Carolina fan.